Voluntary Work in Mauritius

Hi All,

I move to Mauritius in January 2007 after taking early retirement in the UK. My wife is from Mauritius but my married children and grandchildren are in the UK, plus family in Dublin (mine)

I have attempted to do voluntary work (actually did some) here in Mauritius with children, poor families and mental health.
I did not get a great reception from the Ministers (education and social welfare) who seemed bemused at my request. I did some work with children (teaching) for a while till it came to a natural end.

I wondered if any members undertake voluntary work in either the education, mental health, IT. I am well qualified professionally, but boy is it hard to do something for nothing here. Any pointers would be useful or any contacts.  Have you had this experience?

Best Wishes

Joe [small]([Psychologist, Social Worker, Nurse, IT Teacher)[/small]

Joe

Have you tried the churches or the NGOs such as SOS Village (467-8450), CEDEM, Caritas , LacaZa? Forget about the Ministers- all they want is the photo-ops with the different diplomats whose countries sponsors their citizens cum volunteers just for a 3 to 4 weeks stint  once a year on the island,

There is a NGO for people who have mental health issues (which is very rare!).

It's called Friends in Hope. If you are interested I can get you into contact with someone from there!

THank you for the replies, the churches sound a good idea , I can make contacts there.

I did try one NGO but no reply to date.

Thanks a lot

Best Wishes

Joe

i would like to do some voluntary work.. as a means to travel..^^ pm me..

Hi Joe,

If you are a psychologist, you can volunteer in schools as counselor on conflict resolution or assertiveness for introverted kids.  Bullying, cut-throat competition, addiction to video-games, etc.  I think you've got your work cut out for you!

There are two churches with English services and a sizeable english-speaking congregation on the island, if I am not mistaken.

A Presbyterian one in Phoenix and a Baptist one in Grand Baie.

The first one used to run or still runs (?) Oral English classes for secondary school pupils in the area.  Here in Mauritius, if you flunk English at School Certificate level, you have to resit your entire exam...

IMHO, mental health is definitely an issue here but often times brushed under the carpet because of the strong local taboo surrounding it.  Here, people who commit suicide are often viewed as 'weaklings'. 

You might want to look into prison ministry also. 

There is also a small NGO called SUD (Solidarity, Unity and Development).  It runs a few 'learning centres' in Cite Mangalkhan Curepipe and also other parts of the island.  If you have books or stuff that you want to donate, they come and collect it all.  Then the books go to the learning centres and the rest (such as toys) goes to a thrift shop they operate in Beau Bassin and/or sold off to the very indigent in the really destitute parts of the island (really off the beaten track areas).

Then, there is a Catholic nun who does a tremendous job with poor people in the slums of Port Louis.  She teaches them cookery and they make those traditional pickles and these are sold at various point of sales.  I think she might use help with creating a more professional image for this cottage industry (stickers, logos, etc).

If you want to help those charities that do not court the limelight, these are the ones to help.  Or ask around.  There are people who volunteer to do audio-books for the visually-impaired too.  Ask around.
And be careful if you help out with the big NGO's.  They're a mixed bag of vainglorious, power-hungry people and the sincere foot soldiers.

Chayote.

Hi Chayote,

Thank you very much for the information. I did teach IT at one state primary school for 3 months (head teacher was OK) until the inspector told me I should not be there!! I contacted The Minister for Education and The Prime Minister but in the end I got nowhere.

I did teach a group of children English for a while as well. 

I also helped out with Nursing looking after children/adult diabetic wounds , testing for diabetes, dressings, checking BPs , taking kids to hospital.

Now I am doing nothing. I know there is a lot of poor families in Gran Baie , about 60 plus live in shacks behind the Total station near store 2000.  I did contact a few people but to be honest the response was not great.

Do you know where the Baptist Church is in Grand Bay? I know there is a small one in Pereybere?

If you know of anything locally it would be great. Hope to hear from you again.

Best Wishes

Joe

check orphanages,

cheerio,
is.

Dear Joe,

I am an ex-pat working in a small school providing academic education and a special physical therapy called Conductive Education to a small group of physically disabled children (mainly with Cerebral Palsy).  The school's name is 'The Ranger Foundation Centre'.  We welcome anyone wishing to volunteer - please feel free to contact me.

Regards

Ben

Hi Ben,
I am sure most of the expats in this blog as well as on the French blog  would love to help you in this noble cause but not know how to go about it. I suggest that whenever we meet for the next Expat.com event, you address the group for sometime and suggest as to how we can help your organization in this noble cause. I am sure the ones who are interested from the English and French forum will defiantley come forward to support you.

Cheers!! and God Bless

Terence

Dear Terence,

Thank you for your kind message.  I would be happy to chat about what we do and how people could help. 

Regards

Ben

Hi Ben, I have just seen your reply and sent you one back

Cheers

Joe

Where exactly is The Ranger Foundation Centre?

Hi Kirinyaga,

It is in the Solferino area, between Quatre Bornes and Vacoas.  See the Google Map below:

http://maps.google.mu/maps/ms?msid=2039 … 7687a38f80

Please note that we are currently on school holidays and so there is no one at the school at present - happy to answer any further questions though.

Regards

J.

Hi All,

Well for the past year I have been very busy as a child psychotherapist, ABA Behavioural therapist and a advanced practitioner of the Nurtured Heart Approach.

I now work in private homes and school supporting parents to manage children who display behavioural issues using the Nurtured Heart Approach and Psychotherapy.

I also work with children who have ASD (Autism) using DIR Floor-time, ABA, VBA and CBT.
So if you look into your local community you will find there is plenty of voluntary work to do!

Best Wishes

Joseph Grennell
Child Psychotherapist and ABA Behavioural Therapist. BSc Psychology.

The Leonard Cheshire Home - apparently they are very grateful for volunteers.
They do one Tuesday at the Cheshire Home in Tamarin .

The following Tuesday they do the Cheshire Home up at Palmar.

The contact is 7340285, Coral, she is there every week with 2 or 3 other helpers and they are in need of more volunteers.

I have taken the above from a lady on another website I am a member of where the question was; What volunteer work is around.

Hope this is some help :)

That is great. However up North!! (Pereybere) there are going to be opportunities you just need to get out there and ask.  Most private NGO and local institutions such as special schools (private) are always open to volunteers.

Government schools do not like or use volunteers as they do not want 'strangers' to know how poorly they are run!! After working in a local government school and developing their services the older teachers could not wait to get 'me out' as I was showing them up!!

I then got a letter from the Education Minister saying "we no longer needs your services, what great diplomacy!! no thank you for the past 6 months voluntary work in IT/ITC

Joseph Grennell
Child Psychotherapist.

I and a couple of my friends are about to do volunteer work for PAWS and Mauritius Wildlife here in Tamarin.

Good luck with your search for your preferred volunteer work :)

islander77 wrote:

check orphanages,

cheerio,
is.

Are there any Orphanages here in the West?
I have never seen or heard of any - I must be going round with my eyes shut :(

Jaden, when will the school be open again? I don't seem to be able to send you a private message on this forum.

Kirinyaga wrote:

Jaden, when will the school be open again? I don't seem to be able to send you a private message on this forum.

Hi, I did get your private message and have finally replied.

J.

islander77 a écrit:

check orphanages,

Please advise as to where these orphanages are.

Thank you.

D

Hi all ,
Joe you may try to contact red cross scociety in mauritius. By becoming member there you can get a good opportunity to meet many people working for same cause .

Hi arunhshah.

Thank you for the suggestion.   I am very busy at the moment working with children in several  different locations:

1.Children with Behaviour and Emotional Problems

2. Child with Sensory Integration Problems

3. Children with Autism.

I have no extra time left as my workload (voluntary) has increased.

Best Wishes

Joseph Grennell
Child Psychotherapist.

Hello, Joe

This is Aryan, I live in India and i'm post graduate in social work now looking for my future in this way and also willing to come Mauritius and want to work there. So it would be great pleasure for me work with you if find me suitable with you.

Hello Thao & lovearyan14.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

This thread is dated 2011 and is quite old.
I invite you to start a new thread on the Mauritius forum for more visiility.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi just read your post- I want to do something similar. Have you had any feed back.?

HI GUYS
I'm heading to Mauritius. I want to provide Art material for disadvantaged schools and run art classes as well as help out teaching wise. I also want to help out in the catholic orphanages. any ideas where to start? where to go?

Hi it's great what you want to do. When are you going and what area are you going to be staying in? I am in the same boat as you and I will, of course let you know if I get anymore information.

Kam

Hi Joseph,

I am new on the Expat.com as I am looking for an internship / for  voluntary work which I could do for six weeks when I'll be in Mauritius in February / March next year. I saw your posts on the blog and thought that maybe you could help me out a little.

I am an (almost finsished) English and psychology student in Munich (Germany), I have taught in several schools and have some experience with counselling children. I am coming to Mauritius next year to gain some intercultural experience and would like to see what the psychological / voluntary work is like over there.

I am pretty much happy to do anything (teaching, kindergarten, social work, counselling) in my field of work as I would like to gain some experience (I am planning to become a psychotherapist myself). I have tried the psychiatries and SOS children's village but it is difficult to get in touch.

If you have any recommendations for me who I could contact or what I could do I would be very pleased! I am happy to send over a CV, letter of recommendation etc. if needed.

Looking forward to hearing from you and thank you in advance!
Fiona