Studying in Oman

Hello everyone,

Would you recommend studying abroad in Oman?

Every year, 4 million young people from all over the world choose to study abroad for one semester or a full academic year. Would you encourage them to come and study in Oman?

In your opinion, what are the most prestigious colleges and universities in the country/area? Are these free of charge? If not, are tuition fees expensive? Are there many foreign students enrolled in these schools/colleges/universities? What is the main language of instruction at the university?

Thank you in advance for sharing!
Priscilla

First of all i would suggest you,  dont chose oman for studying,  india is a good option for higher education

Well, for those expatriates who live and work there, they could admit their wards to the Colleges and several other foreign universities in the Sultanate of Oman. But more specifically just to choose colleges or Universities in the Sultanate may not be a workable situation, not that ideal in my opinion. This is purely my personal opinion based on the analysis I made when my kids were looking for higher education. Regards

to study in oman is difficult and to much fees specialy in university

Wrong question ! Let me tell you why !

Oman's educational standards are UNDER PAR, compared to any developing country. Forget about the already developed ones.

The overall quality of education is low across schools, colleges and universities here.

The locals are provided with FREE EDUCATION until their schooling, and for those meritorious students, until they finish their higher education.

Despite that, most students who pass out are hardly equipped to take on any meaningful role professionally. They lack the basic English language skills since all their education is all n Arabic.

They come with extremely poor work ethics since all they see from their peers and elders is a half-baked attempt to try to work. Can't really blame them, as they are totally ignorant of what real work really is !

There's more to this. But I cannot say anything further in an open forum like this. So now do you see why this is a wrong question !

The standard of education in Oman is not comparable to any of the other Asian countries like India, Singapore or Malaysia.

Evaluation is done by the same college which gives the degree, and not by the affiliated university. Such degree certificates are not valid in India or many other countries.

The Omanian are enlightened and educative people, and I see they are going to achieve the highest level of quality regarding the educational cases in just a few years.

With all due respect; the Omani Education System still needs to improve a lot at every level; school; college and universities. There are many reasons for it; e.g. the kids at every level are mostly passed even if they don't qualify for it; at university level; most of the students get their projects done by expats for about 10 riyals or so. . . . the teachers I personally believe (I might be wrong and this is the general perception) that they are not really educating the young kids here; the educational institutes pressurize the teachers to improve instead of make policies which are beneficial for the students (by judging their level of IQ and then adopting the educational policies according to the students batch available in the classes). Anyways, overall, I will not recommend students to be sent to colleges or universities (I have tried schools and colleges here and then answering this) but maybe at the most you can find an okay school (up to grade 8th) for your kids. After this it is tough luck.

very bad idea

I completely agree with this one and strongly recommend no one to study here. A really sound company would never offer a job to a person who has taken higher studies in gulf.

Sultan Qaboos University is one of the best Universities for higher education in Oman with excellent faculties, but at the same time very expensive also. Expats here always prefer India for higher studies.

Regards

Hameed

AMSHameed wrote:

Sultan Qaboos University is one of the best Universities for higher education in Oman with excellent faculties, but at the same time very expensive also. Expats here always prefer India for higher studies.

Regards

Hameed

Hi AMSHameed,

I am really not sure what you are talking of here.

Sultan Qaboos University (SQU) is perhaps the best that there is. Yet, if you have met and interacted with the students who have passed out of SQU, like I have, you would know how poor their English language skills of comprehension and communication standards are.

Secondly, SQU is not open for expatriates and is exclusively meant for the locals (Omanis) only.

Other nationalities are not allowed to join and study there, except for some international ‘Student Exchange Program', for which the student's home university must nominate them.

Sultan Qaboos University (SQU) Exchange Student Program both at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels must have currently enrolled university status preferably from one of the affiliated universities or organizations which have an exchange agreement with SQU. Additionally, applicants must have completed at least half of their degree program requirements at their home university, with 2.7 on scale of 4.0-grade point average or equivalent.

Thirdly, the education offered at SQU is free of cost for all Omanis who are studying there.

safas looking for a good SA based distance learning institution offering IEB curricula, look no further.

Hello Sumitran,

I am so sorry that I have to comment on your very old comments. But, thank you for sharing your wisdom and knowledge about the education level in Oman.

You gave us the impression that you think if someone is not fluent in English than his/her education is worthless. You also gave us the impression that our education is weak because we learn in Arabic in our schools.

Let me remind you, brother. Whenever it comes to the quality of education, whatever people would love to say, but let alone India where English is somehow spoken by a few who went to school, Uk itself the mother of English language, can never get closer to the Japanese, Chinese and Soth Koreans who can't speak a word in English. And you will be happy to know that their medium of instruction is Chinese, Japanese, Korean. There are professors there who are doing almost miracles but they can't speak any languages part of their national languages.

My point is English as a language is not the measurement of the level of Education. In England, even the homeless and meatal ill speak English.

Yes, our level of Eduction is not as high comparing to China, Japan, Korea, Germany, to some extent India. But you will agree that you can't compare the competitiveness of life between India and Oman. You are a living example, it is true to me that with the level of your education, you can't get a decent job in Japan, China, Korea, Germany, USA.

You were in Oman or you still in Oman because the quality of your education is not good enough even for the Indian labour market. So you had no choice but to come to Oman where our labour market doesn't demand the highest level of education. So you fit in our market perfectly.

Thank you and enjoy whatever you are doing.

Greetings Mohamed Al Aufi !

Thank you for your comments. I would have simply let it pass had I been an ungrateful soul. But no, not I.

Oman and Omanis have been more than kind to me and to my family for the wonderful time that we had spent there. I absolutely cannot and will not ever forget it, nor ever be mute about it.

During my time there, I had written quite extensively across a wide array of topics pertaining to the expatriates, based on my personal experiences and from whatever published news that I had gathered from the mass media. Whatever I wrote, of course, have all been my personal views and opinion.

Often times, opinions between one person and another may vary, or differ just as two individuals cannot be expected to react the same way for any given situation.

As one who has gained immensely from the goodness, kindness and generosity the Sultanate has showered me with, I shall take no offence to any of the comments or judgements you have made of me. I am fully cognizant of the fact that you are entitled to your personal views and opinion, just as I was.

I wish you and your incredible co-nationals all the very best, and may the Sultanate continue to prosper even more and more in the tumultuous days ahead.

Ma el-Salama !