Studying in France

Hello everyone,

Would you recommend studying abroad in France?

Every year, 4 million young people from all over the world choose to study abroad for one semester or a full academic year. Would you encourage them to come and study in France?

In your opinion, what are the most prestigious colleges and universities in the country/area? Are these free of charge? If not, are tuition fees expensive? Are there many foreign students enrolled in these schools/colleges/universities? What is the main language of instruction at the university?

Thank you in advance for sharing!
Priscilla

Hey Priscilla,
I guess it would depend on a number of factors, mainly the person's goal, what they are going to be studying, whether or not they speak french and how long they plan to stay.

For example, if someone wants to learn French, the best way to go about it would be to do so over here, for a couple of years maybe.
If someone wants to study something else, unless the curriculum is in English or they speak french fluently then it may be a bad idea. Certain career options may not be possible because the training (for example medical) is very different from the system  in North America/Canada. One can't come to France, join a residency program and upon completing their training, become licensed to practice. It's a lot more complicated than that, and again, with many factors/laws that complicate things. To people pursuing that sort of career( I believe it's a similar issue with Law school ) I would say definitely avoid coming to France for post grad studies.