Studying in England

Hello everyone,

Would you recommend studying abroad in England?

Every year, 4 million young people from all over the world choose to study abroad for one semester or a full academic year. Would you encourage them to come and study in England?

In your opinion, what are the most prestigious colleges and universities in the country/area? Are these free of charge? If not, are tuition fees expensive? Are there many foreign students enrolled in these schools/colleges/universities? What is the main language of instruction at the university?

Thank you in advance for sharing!
Priscilla

Studying is a great way to meet new people, perfect your English, and learn about the famous British student culture. A year abroad studying in a new country is often seen as a year to muck about and have fun, but it really is a valuable education.

In England, we have many traditions and particulars only found in our culture and in the British universities. (They don't all have to do with drinking and going out!)

Visiting a British university you will find hundreds of clubs and associations to join and meet new people doing a huge variety of activities. From sports, music, political inclinations, food club, and even a Harry Potter appreciation club. Every student has Wednesday afternoon free to do whatever club they want; most use this time to play sport. Then on Wednesday evenings  is it Sports Night in night clubs, so all the teams go out together.

The first 2 weeks at the beginning of the 1st term are set aside to help new students settle in. The university organise trips, meet ups, and nights out so that everyone has a chance to meet new people.

The most prestigious universities are Cambridge & Oxford; then also Durham, , LSE, Imperial, Edinburgh, and Bristol. Some universities are part of the Russell Group, which means they are more prestigious than others. You can find this list here: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.c … amp;y=2014

University in the UK is not free! For British nationals we have to pay £9250 per year and it is expected rise over the next few years. For international students, most have to pay even higher fees, except if your university has a partnership with that specific British university and the fees are lowered.

There are many many international students in the UK. In the University of Bristol, where I studied, there were thousands of international students who integrated into British society, joining the same sports team as me, studying the same subjects, and living with fellow English people. This is such an easy way to really integrate with the society and learn the English language perfectly!

Obviously, I am a keen advocate for studying in different countries and the UK is no different. By moving to the UK to study, you'll make friends with people that you would have never met if you had stayed in your country. It is a life changing experience!

It's a very expensive road to travel down especially in the uk , A 3/4  year university spell will cost 30/40 thousand pounds & please consider accomodation & day to day living expenses . At the end of all of your hard work with your diploma in hand . You will not walk straight into employment . Some of my friends work in supermarkets & Mcdonalds , all those years studying gone to waste being told they're over qualified . Today thru social media you can read about many people with university degrees doing menial jobs with huge student loan debt . Unless you are offered a scholarship think long & hard about the debts that could follow ...regards

My experience was a bad one. I wouldn't suggest anyone to study in the UK unless you are an EU/eea student.

I first came to England as a student, back in 1990. I  know, it's a lifetime ago. But back then studying here was more or less affordable. Now England is one of the most expensive places in the world for students. Between university fees (9,250 a year but rising fast), very high rent and living costs, taxes, etc - you can expect to spend at least £25,000 a year as a student. As far as I know America is the only place where university is even more expensive than here.

Hi,
Well if you want to come and learn English or interact with culture that's fine. However like other people have written you got be crazy to come and do a degree on UK university unless you're  rich or you have a scholarship.

I wI'll make a suggestion or give a opinion which  town or university  to go because everyone  things differently and opinions are free and everybody has one to give. So people must follow their own path  on discovery journey.

Good luck to you all
Olivio MRT

Moving to Britain to Study. Unless you have a income of £60,000 every year Im afraid to say you will probably become bankrupt before finishing your degree. The land is unforgiving, low paid jobs, jobs are scarce, remaining in paid income is a lottery ticket because each region of the UK receive people differently you might find your constantly relocating to find employment etc. Please think long and hard about your decision. I am only saying this because I left my Australia blind.

I am aware that UK Universities have recently significantly increased their fees for overseas students.  It is a major income generator for them, in light of cuts in government funding.   On top of this, living costs are high in the UK.

Overseas students are restricted to 16hrs per week working (probably on minimum wage) - unless this has changed.

University education in the UK is increasingly only open to the rich, from out of the country.

I would recommend   anyone to study in England   however you have to be prepared   for a lot of hardwork,determination and courage .

Further to my information the other day . England is currently going thru a cold spell of weather , it only has about 8 hours a day of daylight .Everything is becoming more expensive , a litre of petrol or diesel has risen by 20% in 2 months . I realise that a lot of the world thinks of the uk as a land of milk & honey & some may think the streets are paved with gold . Sorry to tell you it's not , far from it . The immigration service is very strict these days because of brexit ( uk leaving the European Union ) I do realise that individuals would like to study & obtain a great education but there are also lots of other countries that offer far more than what's on offer in the UK . Australia , Canada , New Zealand ..Finally I would ask any student to think long & hard before building their dreams thinking the UK is place to locate to , it's not by a long way , regards ...

Accomodation Seeker wrote:

Further to my information the other day . England is currently going thru a cold spell of weather , it only has about 8 hours a day of daylight .Everything is becoming more expensive , a litre of petrol or diesel has risen by 20% in 2 months . I realise that a lot of the world thinks of the uk as a land of milk & honey & some may think the streets are paved with gold . Sorry to tell you it's not , far from it . The immigration service is very strict these days because of brexit ( uk leaving the European Union ) I do realise that individuals would like to study & obtain a great education but there are also lots of other countries that offer far more than what's on offer in the UK . Australia , Canada , New Zealand ..Finally I would ask any student to think long & hard before building their dreams thinking the UK is place to locate to , it's not by a long way , regards ...

The rules on immigration has nothing to do with BREXIT, it's more to do with the refugee crisis in Europe. As for the petrol and diesel, that's the tax on it as well as the ups and downs of the oil market.

Accomodation Seeker, I'm not sure where you are from, but you are not Welsh!!

<<Further to my information the other day . England is currently going thru a cold spell of weather , it only has about 8 hours a day of daylight .Everything is becoming more expensive , a litre of petrol or diesel has risen by 20% in 2 months>>

Regarding the weather - this happens every year, doesn't it?  Fuel is still significantly cheaper that it was a couple of years ago.

As above; immigration has nothing to do with Brexit (which hasn't actually happened yet) and genuine students don't generally have too much difficulty obtaining a visa, as they are bringing money into the country.

Whatever you think of the UK in general, it still has amongst the best universities in the world, unmatched by Australia, Canada or New Zealand.  Provided students/their families can afford it, the quality of education is what people will be looking for.

Hi-I wonder like a foreign cityzen were do i contact a school or social service to leran and study english?

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me where I should go to study English, I mean which city and which school? I want to get intensive classes in order to become more confident in oral English. I am a lot in London love, but London can be very intimidating regarding the costs of living, how fast and stressful life can be there, etc. So, I was thinking about Liverpool or Manchester but I don't know if it's better or not.

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance