New members of the Hungary forum, introduce yourself here – 2017

Hi all,

Newbie on the Hungary forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Hungary if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

PD : The thread New members of the Hungary forum, introduce yourself here – 2016 continues below!

Hello everyone. My name is Jack. I am from the UK and I am moving to Budapest end of January.

As you can see on my profile, I have lived in the UK, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates (Dubai) and now Budapest is going to become the next chapter in my life. Expat.com has been the most helpful in settling new countries and I am sure it will continue to be in Budapest too.

Cheers!

Hello from Hull in England.  Planning to move and retire to the Tolna region of Hungary later in the year.  We are a family of 3, and have a 12 year old son.  In a couple of weeks we are flying out there to hopefully purchase a property.  We want to follow a semi-self sufficient lifestyle so will have a range of animals and grow our own veggies.  Our intention is to enrol our son in a Hungarian school to continue his education.  All 3 of us are learning Hungarian in anticipation of our move.  Hope to make friends and contacts by joining various forums and social media pages. :)

Hello everyone,

I am Buket from Istanbul, Turkey and I will move to Budapest in the beginning of May

I will transfer within my current company and  will have couple of business trips to Budapest until May. During these trips I would like to discover the city and find a nice flat for myself

I have been in Budapest once- a couple of years ago and I really liked the city.

I am open to any kind of suggestions so please feel free to comment : )

SueinHullUK wrote:

Hello from Hull in England.  Planning to move and retire to the Tolna region of Hungary later in the year.  We are a family of 3, and have a 12 year old son.  In a couple of weeks we are flying out there to hopefully purchase a property.  We want to follow a semi-self sufficient lifestyle so will have a range of animals and grow our own veggies.  Our intention is to enrol our son in a Hungarian school to continue his education.  All 3 of us are learning Hungarian in anticipation of our move.  Hope to make friends and contacts by joining various forums and social media pages. :)

Welcome, Sue! We spent a lot of time learning Hungarian, too, before we arrived. We still don't speak the language well, but every bit we've studied has been helpful. We try to speak it whenever we go out to shops and whatnot, and it's... an adventure. The shopkeepers, thankfully, are very patient with us. Best of luck to you and your family, and if you have any questions or need any help upon your arrival, please reach out!

Buk2 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am Buket from Istanbul, Turkey and I will move to Budapest in the beginning of May

I will transfer within my current company and  will have couple of business trips to Budapest until May. During these trips I would like to discover the city and find a nice flat for myself

I have been in Budapest once- a couple of years ago and I really liked the city.

I am open to any kind of suggestions so please feel free to comment : )

Buket,

Welcome! My family and I know a number of people here from Turkey. As I'm sure you know, Hungary is a popular place for people from your country. My family and I have been here for about six months, and we absolutely love it. Best of luck finding a flat and settling in! If you need any help or guidance, please feel free to reach out.

-Matthew

brightonguy wrote:

Hello everyone. My name is Jack. I am from the UK and I am moving to Budapest end of January.

As you can see on my profile, I have lived in the UK, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates (Dubai) and now Budapest is going to become the next chapter in my life. Expat.com has been the most helpful in settling new countries and I am sure it will continue to be in Budapest too.

Cheers!

Jack,

Welcome to Hungary! I assume you have settled in OK? Bahrain, UAE and now Hungary... Sounds like a fun and interesting itinerary. Are you traveling for work, or did you select these places for other reasons?

-Matthew

Hello!

My name is Matthew, and I moved here from the U.S. with my family (wife and three young boys) in August 2016. We have been having loads of fun exploring Hungary and getting used to life in Budapest. We're planning a short trip soon to Eger, if anyone has any experience there and can offer tips.

We just recently returned from a trip to Madrid, Zaragoza, Barcelona and Venice, and we've found that we much prefer Budapest. It is a fantastic city!

-Matthew

Hi everyone, I am Yanzhao from China. I used to live in Beijing and in Jerusalem. In the middle of this year my wife and I would move to Budapest to begin our new life there. Hope this is not a bad choice and will share our life with everyone. Thx!

Hi everyone,

My name is Minh and I'm originally from Vietnam. I met my Hungarian husband in England where we lived for 7 years and our little boy was born there. We moved to Hungary last December and are now living in Siofok, hubby's hometown. I'd love to know if anyone on this forum is in Siofok too and if you know if there's any local English speaking group. I love Hungary in general and Siofok in particular as it's simply just beautiful but as I don't speak the language and I work part-time from home everyday, it's getting a bit lonely... we'd also like for our 2 year old son to keep up with his English too although he's still speaking mostly English but he's picking up Hungarian so quickly! So if we could meet and make friends with any English speaking person or family with kids that would be amazing!

Thanks!

Minh

Hi Minh,

We have just bought a house in Kisszékely about 40 minutes away from you.  My husband is Lebanese and I am English, we have a 12 year old English speaking son.  The house is going to be renovated and hopefully we will be living there in the middle/end of the summer.  Once we get settled I would love to meet you and your family.  Keep in touch. :-)

Hi Sue,

Thanks very much for your reply. It's great to hear you'll be living not too far from us! Best of luck with the house rennovation and settling in your new home. We'd love to meet your family too.  ;)

P/s: are you from Hull? We spent 3 days in Hull last spring  with our friends in a farm house. Such a beautiful countryside area!  :top:

Minh Molnar wrote:

So if we could meet and make friends with any English speaking person or family with kids that would be amazing!

I live on the north west shore of Lake Balaton. But no children.  :|

Minh Molnar wrote:

Hi everyone,

We moved to Hungary last December and are now living in Siofok, hubby's hometown. I'd love to know if anyone on this forum is in Siofok too and if you know if there's any local English speaking group.

Thanks!

Minh

If you are on Facebook you should join the Balatonbrits group. It is not just Brits and they put on quite a few social events.

Minh Molnar wrote:

Hi Sue,

P/s: are you from Hull? We spent 3 days in Hull last spring  with our friends in a farm house. Such a beautiful countryside area!  :top:

Lol that is such a coincidence, I am Hull born and bred, glad you liked the area.   

So looking forward to moving out to Hungary permanently...everything takes to much time lol.  Enjoy the rest of your day Minh :-)

klsallee wrote:
Minh Molnar wrote:

So if we could meet and make friends with any English speaking person or family with kids that would be amazing!

I live on the north west shore of Lake Balaton. But no children.  :|

Hi klsallee,

What city/town do you live in? I've been to Keszthely, is it near you?  ;)

fidobsa wrote:
Minh Molnar wrote:

Hi everyone,

We moved to Hungary last December and are now living in Siofok, hubby's hometown. I'd love to know if anyone on this forum is in Siofok too and if you know if there's any local English speaking group.

Thanks!

Minh

If you are on Facebook you should join the Balatonbrits group. It is not just Brits and they put on quite a few social events.

Hi fidobsa,

Thanks so much for the advice! I'll check out the group  ;)

Minh Molnar wrote:

Hi klsallee,

What city/town do you live in?

Hegymagas. It is inland, just north of Szigliget (I can see the Szigliget castle fortress from my house).

Minh Molnar wrote:

Keszthely, is it near you?  ;)

Not far by distance. But about 30 minutes by car, because most of the way one must drive through towns at reduced speeds.

There is also a nice bike trail from Keszthely to Szigliget. And a water ferry.

Florida native here with a Hungarian father, I subscribed to see what's up in the Hungary forum... Maybe one day I will become an expat and choose Budapest but I also have my sights set on Portland Oregon or Seattle. Simple living, minimalist.

graciegjj wrote:

Florida native here with a Hungarian father, I subscribed to see what's up in the Hungary forum... Maybe one day I will become an expat and choose Budapest but I also have my sights set on Portland Oregon or Seattle. Simple living, minimalist.

Welcome! I'm from the Pacific Northwest, and it's a lovely place, as you know. You won't regret moving there. I'd love to hear how it goes, when you do finally get there. We're actually from Bellingham, a little north of Seattle, and it's a wonderful area for living a simple, minimal lifestyle. While we do love living in Budapest, the PNW is constantly calling us back. Maybe someday. For now, though, despite that it's not on the coast, we are absolutely loving living in Hungary! It, too, is an amazing place.

Nice to see your message! Cool story:) I wanted to add I'm also a fan of good public transit which of course Budapest has and also Portland and Seattle, this is why I am a fan of these cities among other things. Plus I actually enjoy overcast skies more so than sunny skies lol so I have learned that I would like this aspect of the PNW. So we shall see down the road when I am ready what I will do. I have lived in a very small town once in Central IL but for now I prefer a city but one with good public transit, doing my research when I get the chance and hope to find something nice down the road and for now enjoy what I have here! I miss Budapest enjoy it! Joey

Yanzhao wrote:

Hi everyone, I am Yanzhao from China. I used to live in Beijing and in Jerusalem. In the middle of this year my wife and I would move to Budapest to begin our new life there. Hope this is not a bad choice and will share our life with everyone. Thx!

Best of luck to you and your wife, Yanzhao! Let us know when you make the move, and we'll do what we can to help you settle in. I am sure you will love it here!

Hello everyone!

My name is Aurelija. I am from Lithuania. Have been in Budapest for couple months for my graduate traineeship and now working in a educational company.
I am in my early 20's. Live with my boyfriend.  Since I moved here without any family or friends, it does get a little lonely so hopefully in the near future I would make some new connections or friends.
So far have been just enjoying Budapest and what it has to offer :)

Hi all,

My name is Amy and I'm moving from Istanbul to Budapest in June. I'm Canadian and I've moved around a bit in the past several years, but I've been living in Istanbul for about a year and a half now, so it'll be strange starting all over again! I would love to get to know some people there, and hear about how you like the city!

Cheers,
Amy

Hi,
My name is Debbie, we have bought a lovely cottage in a small village Borsfa , Zala not far from Nagykanizsa.  We hope to move out there on a permanent basis in a couple of years time but at the moment are only using the place for hols. We have wonderful neighbours but are desperate to get a good grasp of the language so we can become friends, google translate just doesn't cut it lol. 
I have booked a starter course in Budapest for next month but does anyone have any tips?
Deb

I'm lucky,I was born in Budapest so I speak the language fluently but as far as learning it,it's very difficult.The trouble with classes is that they concentrate on grammar and not conversation.I suggest watching a lot of television,news,etc. and hanging out with hungarian speaking people

Thanks capttamas, appreciate your help. Unfortunately I am still UK based at the moment so Hungarian TV is a bit difficult to come by.Hoping to get to know some Hungarian speakers on here so I can hang out lol. My husband is very jealous of your photo, he is a keen fisherman and can't wait to fish the Hungarian Lakes.

Good luck to you and tell your husband not to expect any big gamefish.

Hi Deb, I am also in the Nagykanizsa area and go there for shopping etc. If you want me to show you around the town some time, let me know.

That's a great offer, we will definitely  take you up on that when we are over next, it would be lovely to chat and pick your brains

Hiya! My Name is Michelle, and I'm moving from Jozi to Budapest end July 2017. Hope I get to meet some fellow SAFFA's when I get there. I will be doing a CELTA course in August, and hoping to find work in that line afterwards or in the Accounting/Finance field  (current employment function). Did some research on Europe and for some reason fell in love with Budapest.

My name is Thomas (from US.) I live in Szekesfehervar and travel to Budapest on a regular bases.I speak hungarian fluently and know my way around.If you'd like get in touch.

Hello Everyone !

My Name is Mathieu I'm 29 and I'm coming from Clermont-Ferrand in France. I'm currently living and working in Paris, but a lovely Hungarian woman changed my life, so  I decided to move to Hungary after a few month  travelling back and forth ;)

I'm currently looking for a job in Budapest. I've 5 years of experience in IT consulting (ERP integration), mainly as consultant but I would also be interested in an internal position in an IT department. Anyone wanting to share tips and opportunities in this field is welcome to contact me in PM!

Otherwise about myself, I'm a very friendly and open minded man. I'll be willing to make some international contacts and new friends when I'll arrive there. I would love to share stories about my and your country (and my girlfriend also) so feel free to contact me !

Viszlát!

Hey everyone, my name is Ilya, and I am relocating to Budapest for a new job opportunity in July. Originally Russian, moved to US back in 2000, then went to Czech Republic in 2002 and been there last 15 years. Work in IT, I enjoy going out, travelling and outdoors!

Looking forward to meeting new people and getting to know Hungary a little bit better :)

Hi! I am Marina and I am from Greece.I am a student and Im going to stay in Budapest for 6 months,from September 2017,to do my internship. Im looking for a room to rent or roommates to share an apartment with. It will be nice and interesting to meet or stay with people with different nationalities and culture. Im really exciting about the experience of moving in Budapest and I hope to deploy it as much as possible! :)

Hello!

My name is Monique, and I'm 25 years old. I currently live in California (born and raised here), and I'm looking into moving to Budapest in a few months in order to teach English (preferably to adults).

I visited Budapest for ~2 weeks in October 2016, on my way to earn my CELTA certification in Prague. I completely fell in love with the city, and would enjoy making it my home for a while.

As a non-EU citizen, I'm aware it'll be a bit of a journey to get my work/residency visa. If you have any advice for me, please don't hesitate to send me a message - I'm a bit mystified by the whole process.

Thanks for reading - I'm pretty excited about this new step in my life! :)

Hey!
Mahtab here, From Iran. I'll move to Budapest in September for a one year course at CEU. Cannot wait to meet new people and sure, I need a lot of advice about everything!

Dear All,

Thank you for having me in the group.:)
I am Krisztina from Hévíz,Hungary, a dual national who lived and studied both in the US and the UK and moved back to Hungary in 2015.I am currently working as a freelance translator and interpreter,so if you need any help,do not hesitate to contact me. :)

Regards,
Krisztina

Hi Everyone,

I am Mark. A software quality tester in the Philippines, and got a job offer from a company in Budapest.

I hope to meet great people here!

Hi there!

My name is Sidney. I have just been accepted for a Master's Degree of one year in Anthropology and Sociology at Central European University in Budapes, Hungary.

I'm looking forward to engage with other expats and locals for opportunities in accomodation, living expenses and get around the city with more ease.

I do research on religion and have a Degree in Anthropology, so I'm always interested in learning from people's experiences; plus would love to inmerse myself in Hungary's rich cultural life.

Thanks for reading!

Closed