New members of the Cambodia forum, introduce yourself here – 2017

I will be returning to Siem Reap in November and probably staying till the end of March. I spent 3 months last year volunteering at an NGO school and now that I have a better idea of what is needed I will have more purpose on this trip.
I stayed at Bou Savy Guest House last time but I'm thinking that it might be nice to have an apartment with a kitchen. Any suggestions on a good area close to town but not in would be appreciated.

Thank you ! I will pass this on to a friend who will also be there.

Hello
I am Aleksi,  I have a home with 2 rooms for rent, starting from 230$. rooms come with a shared kitchen and big yard. rooms have private bathroom. the house is just about 2km away from pub street, in a peaceful and quiet place. contact me if interested.

all the best for you all, peace

Hi Aleski,
I am interested and will pass this on to another volunteer who will be coming also. I'll get back to you.
Thanks,
Harley

Thank you! :) looking forward to hear more, all the best.

Hi,

I'm Mark Anthony A. Dacanay, I recently joined this community. I was hoping to get a job here in cambodia. I am a Filipino looking for a Site Civil Engineering job. If you have or know a hiring company,
please let me know. ***
Thank you.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please don't post your contact details + drop an advert in the jobs section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I am looking to start a business in Cambodia next  year 2018, based in several places across the country, I am in need of help with finding out what is needed ie licences. I have heard that there are people called fixers who you can employ to help you with this. If you know of any please put them in touch with me thanks. ***. I am also coming over for a wk in October

regards

Stephen

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Hi, I am Steven, from America. I have been in Laos for about a year and am planning to relocate to PP.

I appreciate any first hand accurate information. Thank you.

1. The best internet service in PP for a wired connection in home. For example, in an apartment or condo. Availability of fiber and DSL connections? Reliability: for example during a one year period in PP using the best service available, how much down time is there? How long has the internet been down? Is the tech support and service acceptably quick? In my experience in Laos and Thailand, I've had every issue resolved within an hour or two.

2. Reliability of the power. Typically how often does the power go out? How long is it usually off? Again, for example: living in an apartment or condo that many typical foreigners would live in.

I have visited Cambodia before and really like PP. I plan to find a reasonably priced apartment and work from home. This is why I need a good reliable connection.

Thank you,

Steven

Hi twinsguy20,
have enjoyed reading you since I became aware  of expat Cambodia. I am on the Indian expat sight, i'm living here now, but will relocate to Cambodia in a few months. My concerns are with health care, which I understand not to be that good in Cambodia? I have posted a question regarding this.. just waiting for info. Would you have any information on what health insurance is available, and any information regarding the hospital situation in Phnom Penh. Thanks in advance..Geoffrey

Hi guys,

I'm Nine. I recently moved to Kratie for an internship. I will be here until the Middle of November and would love to meet some of you!
Is there anybody living close to Kratie? Otherwise I will sometimes also come to PP to hang out :)

Have a good day! Nine

Hi Michael, not about business, but does you guest house have monthly rental, we will be two people arriving in phnom penh later in the year, looking for accommodation whilst we get set up! can you get back, thanks

Hello all. I'm looking to move to Cambodia (Kampot) in February / March 2018 and am looking to prep well in advance by ensuring employment by the time I arrive. I have a wealth of experience in account management over the legal and metallurgic sectors, laboured for a bricklayer in my gap year and am a grade 8 classical guitarist. I'm a very hard worker with a broad skillset so any advice would be superb.

Thank you all.

Mike

I am in the process of retiring from the US, have lived most of my life abroad and am looking into starting a  company a business  partnership or maybe even finding a job in Indochina, preferably Cambodia, Vietnam .
Background includes banking  and financial services), travel sales, tour guiding, interpreter (English French German), other sales and Consulting roles now mainly recruitment/ executive search for a major player in the USA filling sales and marketing jobs around the world. I love Asia and want to live in a warm climate (now in Florida for the pasty ten years), have spent most of my adult life in Europe (France, Benelux, Germany and also have lived a while short time in Taiwan and Korea, speak several languages and would try to learn basic Khmer to get by. If you have ay idea, comments suggestions, feel free to  contact me.

Hi All,
A real pleasure to be here and meet you all.  I have my ticket to ride at the end of November.  I had planned to spend at least a year but just read that you can only extend a tourist visa one time.....that sounds really strange and can't quite believe that.  Anyone have any up to date info on visas.

I will also be bring my little dog, Charlie, and am so concerned for him, not sure what I am getting him into. 

Heading to Siem Reap for starters and must find a place that will allow pets. anyone have any experience with that?

the other thing is health insurance.  there is world nomads and one that is by cigna, I believe, does anyone have an opinion on this as to which is best?

I think that is all the required important things I need to know. Charlie will have a passport and his shots.

If I am forgetting something that I should not be forgetting.....gulp.....please let me know. Kind of strange to be on this end...lol.....Happy days to all and stay cool!!!!!

You can extend it unlimited times but you have to go out of Cambodia for one day every three months. The better option is the regular visa which can be a year long.

Thanks.  I guess that would be the regular tourist visa and then I read you just go into a travel agent and they can extend it for up to 1 year. Once again thanks for that. Have a wonder Cambodian day!!!

Do not get a tourist visa get the E visa and it can be for 1year. If you get the tourist visa it may confuse the issue

Yes health care in Cambodia can be challenging! But the royal hospital in Phnom Penh is pretty good, I think most expats would opt for Thailand for anything major, it's a 45-60$ one way flight out of Phnom Penh Asia air, you can take care of yourself with pharmaceutical medications are available all over, I get a traveler insurance with making sure they have a life flight to Bangkok , not a big problem , good luck to you , I see as I was first time coming worried about accommodations , there are plenty of guest houses and lots for rent all over town, you are anyone should have no problem finding a place to live , some realtors on this sight are excellent, remember it's just asking price , everything can be negotiated! Good luck to you

Hello all,

First of all, thank you all for this thread as I have learned so much about the process!

I am American and looking to move to Cambodia, preferably Siem Reap, but I'm not too picky. I have traveled to 40 countries, but I am finally ready to take the leap and live abroad! I visited Cambodia earlier this year and completely fell in love with the country, people, culture, just everything.

I have searched numerous job sites so far but haven't come across anything that's the right fit just yet. I have extensive experience in administrative work and data entry. My plan right now is to fly out in December and start my search in person, unless I come across an opportunity before then! Of course, I'm not above bar or restaurant work if other jobs don't work out.

Thank you all again for all of the valuable information throughout this thread. Looking forward to getting to know this forum a bit better and start my adventure!

I have to say you would have no problem teaching English , but restaurant jobs pay a few $ a day like maybe 5$ a day , as teachers can make 10-12 a hour , so work isn't easy to find in Cambodia. But English teaching isn't , good luck

Thank you for your reply! Oh I know that restaurants (and many other odd jobs) pay very little. I have savings so just need enough to get by for awhile and then hopefully I can find something more substantial. I have looked at English teaching jobs online but have found that most/all of them require teaching certifications that I don't have - is that incorrect? I'm determined to make it work any way I can!

Si have to tell you the truth , it's not pretty, but with your white face and you look happy , any school looks for you! They want there parents to see a western person teaching their children, you would be able to find a teaching job easy , a tefl degree is only 200$ online , but you would get a job teaching first week, get a cv together, if you have a college degree bring it if not no worries , you would be able to get a job , as dad as it is just because your white English speaking , no problem, I don't have a degree, I'm 60 I went to three schools two offered me a job on the spot , the other said I need a tefl degree, but they called me later and offered me a job saying I could get my degree later, so for you young and seemly enthusiast, you should have no problem

Wow, ok. To be honest, when you started with "So I have to tell you the truth..." my heart completely sank! Good to know all of this and thank you for the info! I kept looking and everything was mentioning degrees and the tefl so I figured I had no chance at all.

Yes I feel it's sad , I have two black children , and it hurts me that this is the case , but really you being white young happy you will be able to find a job easy , very easy , don't worry about that, usually you will gain enough private students so you can just do that, it will be easy for you !

Yes, it is very sad that "white face" is apparently an "asset" (I was unaware that that line of thinking existed in Cambodia, to be honest - naive of me).

No not naive, as much as people don't want to talk about it, I have to be straight up honest with you about that, hey you will find it easy , but it's a sad fact, I hope this changes as people in Cambodia are the kindest people, I personally have come across, your much more traveled than I , I really don't think you will have a problem , it's safer ( Phnom Penh ) than any large city in the United States, violence is happing , mostly if not all domestic, in my two years , I've only heard of purse and cell phone snatching, on motors , mostly late at night,  Cambodians caught stealing from a tourist , now I have heard at least 4 maybe more of them catching the thieves and well , he doesn't make it out alive, this happens, so if your not a thieves ha, your good to go, tuk tuk drivers everywhere, mostly really nice guys trying to make it, never a transportation issue , sorry for the long list , my best advice is
1. Walking during the day anywhere is fine, at night take a tuk tuk, with your bag in the middle, especially after midnight!!
2. Tell the tuk tuk driver where your going and tell him what you will pay 2-4 only 4 if it's way out of the area, like riverside to Russian market 3-4 , they will take it or walk, I always tip 2-3000 real , ( 50-75 cents. Be safe good luck

Hi Guys,
I am new one here :D I would like to say hello for all of You :D

Hi there I am Steve and looking to set up a new business in Cambodia next year about July will need someone on the ground to help with this and the running of it in seim reap

let me know your thoughts

Steve

Welcome to the group

Hey guys - I'll be in PP for a couple weeks end of Oct, then planning on moving there at the end of x-mas to teach if I like it. Just wanted to say hey, that I'll be hoping to possibly exchange some info with new and old ex-pats and even meet up for a brew occasionally. Take Care, D. X

Welcome to the forum. I won't be there till early November but perhaps if you decide to take the plunge I would live to get together to compare notes. I will be teaching English there also. Hope you have a great visit.

Anyone have experience buying scooters in siem reap Cambodia ?

or bike?

Hi Everyone,

Im indonesian,  im going to move to phnom penh by the mid of november
I have a job assigned by my company in cambodia

Nice to meet you all :)

Welcome to the group

Hi there
Any suggestion where is should live in phnom penh? closed by expats community perhaps

I think it would be best to look around after you arrive, see what apartments are availabile and what they are close too. I personally enjoy the River walk so being closer to it would be one of my concerns, there are lots of apartments available so no worries there and prices vary greatly according to neighborhood, ammenities and the comfort lol you desire, still best to look at them in person as pictures can show how nice a place is but leave other things out, for instance a bad smell,  who your neighbors are ect. Hope this helps

Yeah ur right. Im gonna look around near river walk once i got there
Thanks a lot for the advice!

Hi

This is Shivon from Singapore. Looking to explore new job opportunies in Cambodia.

Hi everyone! My name is Brian, 24 y.o. still in Singapore, about to move to Cambodia and build a Startup company there. Wish me luck! :)

Closed