New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourself here – 1st quarter of 2017

I am looking to move to Rosarito, Mexico with my husband and young daughter and searching for all the "need to know" and advice anyone can give me  in moving, starting a business, do's and don'ts of living, traveling, learning the language, etc.  Pretty much whatever anyone has to offer as far as knowledge goes.  Thank you!

Coco7777 wrote:

Thank you I am only 51 I am not old enough fore Medicare I'll keep my credit cards open

The free or low cost plans here are not limited by age.  IMSS is low cost, Seguro Popular is free.

Hello to all,my name is Milena,and me and my husband are planing to move to Cancun.We live in Europe,but not part of European union,i hope coming from non-american land will not make major problems with documentation. Anyways,thanks for the welcome.:)

I plan to move to mexico this year. Hoping to find any filipino people to make the transition easier for my wife. I am from the USA and I'm comfotable living most any where.  But i am afraid she will find it difficult without someone she can relate to. We are both in our 50's.

Any advice for moving to the Rosarito area?

@ Feftesh > This topic is for the introduction of the new members only.

Please feel free to create a new topic on the Mexico forum.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Milena,

Check with the Mexican counsel in your area. I don't see why it would be a problem, but they are the experts.

Hello everyone!
I hope all of you are alright., I was  born in Mexico but I have lived in England the last 6 years.
Is kind of difficult to relocate  again in here you know what I mean    :joking:  to the right to the left  ;)  is all about attitude they say but I need to catch the rhythm I feel like a fish out of the water some times  any ways if some you need an advice  ore recommendation here I am.
Kind regards  ANA

Hello, just joined!  My name is Craig.  I vacation in Cancun 2, 3 times per year.  Have about 20 stamps on my passport from Cancun Airport, haha.

Two visits ago, I met a very lovely Mexicana quien vive en Cancun.  I will now be visiting more often, but now to see her rather than "party on the beach" haha.  I actually started a thread about finding a place to rent for a month, off the hotel zone.  I can check VRBO, but my primary interest is a safe place with good security that is not in the hotel zone.  So basically wondering the "nicer" parts of Cancun.

Thanks and I look forward to actively participating in this forum.

Hola!  New member with the end goal to drive myself and 2 small dogs to Mexico from Oregon in my pick up. I have lived in Oregon most my life.  My parents came here from Canada back in the early 50's. Next on my list is the fact that I need to fly down to remind myself how much I miss and want it.  I have spent some vacations in Hawaii and Arizona and am very much in need of a warmer climate to live out what remaining life I have. If I don't I will have a big regret at the end of my life.  I am interested in Nayarit MX. area. If I could live in green lush area on a hill where I can garden, hopefully with some land I would be in heaven. Years ago I visited Peurto Vallarta and years before that back in the mid 90's had a long stay in Cabo San Lucas.    I am a dog groomer and pastry chef by trade.  My parents have passed on and I have nothing but personal items/house that is holding me back,  and to be honest, I couldn't be out of here soon enough, but I was left with sooo much stuff and it is really emotional to deal with.  I am liquidating slowly but surely.  I very much envy you people with partners.  Whatever is happening to me within this process is manifesting into some frustrations; emotional, not to mention difficult and a tad bit scary, but it's what I need to do.  at the end of it all,  I guess I'm leery of making some crucial mistakes.  I'm researching and studying spanish.  This forum is the closest thing I can find next to a real live Mentor, which is really what I am after.  If anybody feels as I do I would like o hear from you.
Pamella

I can very much relate. I met a guy while living in Oregon and moved to NY to be with him, which required selling just about everything. I sold heirlooms from my grandmothers and souvenirs collected around the world....those were the hard things to part with. but I kept reminding myself, "You have the memories, which are far better than any chachka you might be holding on to." Now he and I are selling everything of his in NY and becoming expats. I lived in Asia for a long time and have traveled all over the world, so I am fearless about relocating. Focus on your goals of having a bit of land and the freedom you will have. You will attract a partner, trust me....you are never too old (I am 70 and it took a lifetime and three marriages to finally find The One).

Thank you for that. 
Best to you - Pamella

Very welcome. De nada.

Hi, I am a new member, and we are planning on leaving the USA,by this summer. We have looked online and seen so excited properties that we like. We prefer to be close to other Americans, but we are planning on learning Spanish, and enjoying the Culture of the area. We have dogs, and would like to get a place that is  .5-2.5 acres, and maybe even have some Casitas on the property to earn a little extra money to live on in addition  to my pension.
We are looking at the San Miguel de Allende area.

What is the best way to buy a piece of property in Mexico? I have seen people say you need to get a good Broker that can help you after the sale for things like emergency evacuation, etc., but I am not sure what is needed, and want to do this move as smoothly as possible.

I appreciate any assistance in this matter.

Ron

Hello, my wife and I are still in the planning/considering stage of moving abroad.  Mexico is high on the list along with a couple of others that we are researching for our retirement.  We would very much like to live near the water and have a more relaxed, less stressful lifestyle.  Our next step will be to identify a few promising location and do some fact finding trips to see what they are all about. Hoping that reading posts on this forum will help with that.

Hi hzkthf 

Yes the forum could be very helpful for you. We would need some basic information from you to get started.  Like weather? , big city or small, lots of expats or more just local folks,  do you speak Spanish ? and how much do you plan on spending on rent etc.?

There is a lot of information in the forum already if you just want to look, but people who live in specific areas tend to respond to your questions also.

Hello all you fellow future expats! I am so impressed by how many people have come to the same conclusion as us that retiring in Mexico is the way to go. We did our research, made the decision to move, explored several areas, and have chosen the Yucatan as our future home.
Now we are in the "hard work" phase....buying a home, selling our current home, liquidating our belongings, and figuring out how to get there.
We are stuck on the whole car situation. Would like to drive into Mexico in our NAFTA approved car, then trade our car in and buy a newer car once we are settled. But there might be problems with this plan. Is is correct that we can not trade/sell the car we are bringing?
Thanks for any input on this.

Was the car made in Mexico?  That is, doe the first character of the VIN indicate Mexico.
The consistent answer I have seen over the past 8 years is that you can't legally sell a foreign plated car in Mexico.  The question has never been asked in the way you have.  Is there some reason you haven't talked to a Mexican consulate?

Thanks Gudgrief, looks like I won't be bringing a car. All advice leads me to believe it's too much of a hassle. We are traveling to the Consulate in the next few weeks once we have all our documents in order. Another question, any thoughts on obtaining temporary versus permanent residency? We are retiring, purchasing a home and are planning to live in the Yucatan year round. Thanks!

A call to the consulate might be helpful in any case.  Phones may be busy and you may have to wait on hold.  welcome to Mexico.  The sense of time is different along with the urgency of different events.

If you can get permanent from the start, you'll save a bit of money.
If you have a large enough income or starting a business that will employ x number of Mexicans or you have large investments in Mexico, the consul may grant eligibility for permanent from the start.
Orherwise, you can opt for a succession of temporary renewals until you've had a total of 4 years, at which time you can convert to permanent.  It's really a matter of your own situation.  I came before the new rules were in place, didn't qualify for permanent right away and converted to permanent after 5 years.

I hate to quote fees because they are subject to change.  Orther members here may have recent ones.

The initial application at the consulate is around $30-40 US.
A 1-year Temporary visa is around $100 US.
A 4-year Temporary visa is around $350 US.
Converting to permanent is around $250 US.
The actual price in US dollars varies with the rate of exchange.

Permanent or Temporary, you are allowed a single one-time permit to import household goods duty free.  Depending on the amount and value, along with shipping and customs broker fees, you might want to sell and buy new down here.

Once permanent, there aren't any yearly visits to Immigration and the only other time you need to contact them is if you change your address.

There are differences in details and procedures from one consulate and immigration (INM) office to another but this should giove you a general idea.

Other members may check in with more detailed and current information.  You might want to do some Googling in any case.

Very helpful info, gudgrief...you are my guru!

I went through this more or less over a year ago. The best thing you can do is go to the consulate  they will advise you  on your qualifications. I had lived in Mexico for 3 years using the temporary 180 day visas, before I applied at the consulate in Arizona. I understand that consulate's can have different attitudes, yet the rules are the same. I immediately qualified for a permanent due to income.

I have very recent experience in buying a car also. Because of rule changes about cars, used are not so available. And I honestly wouldn't want one . I see how Mexicans manage their cars and drive. They are good drivers actually, but they rev their engines a lot, and drive very fast, and hard. Not that they don't show great respect for a good car, because they really admire and respect cars. But their idea of engine care and braking can really shorten the life span, and drive up the costs. I wouldn't tell them that though, because revving their engines hard is a long time habit they feel is very important.

So I bought a new car, but it wasn't easy. If you have the money to pay cash it should be fairly simple, unless that causes questions about money transfer from the U.S.  My U.S. credit meant nothing here. They want to see a Mexican bank account and Mexican credit. So I needed a neighbor to co-sign. and that also involved a notary to do  paperwork to secure that he wouldn't be saddled with the debt, and that the car would be mine. Mexico loves their paper.

Thank you travellight for the info. So "hi ho hi ho"... its off to the consulate we go! (Sorry getting a little giddy with all that's involved with our big move). We are in the process of gathering all our documents to visit the consulate.
Good info on car purchasing as well. Another question, are the cost of cars in Mexico similar to the costs in the US?

Yes Mlpatari,

The costs of cars are pretty similar to the U.S. . I paid $ 18,000 for a Mazda  M3 hatchback which is comparable to U.S. There is one other factor about buying a car on credit here that I forgot to mention, some banks have an age concern, so if you are retirement age they may require a doctors note and paper work about that.

You might benefit from talking to banks that have offices in both the U.S. and Mexico . There are several https://www.mexperience.com/lifestyle/l … in-mexico/ The one I have found to be most reliable is HSBC.

Good luck and buen viaje

I can't speak with any certainty but, out of curiosity, I talked to a few salesman during special promotions, making it clear I had no bank accounts in Mexico.  They showed every confidence I'd be able to get financing on the most favorable terms available to Mexicans.  For a car that ends up at 18,000USD, I could swing the down payment on my credit card and live with both the monthly payment and my credit card payment but I don't want the debt.  Being carless where I am is a nuisance because I live in a privada that's out of the way, but it's only a minor one since taxis are cheap and arrive in 8 to 10 minutes whebn called.

" salesman" say quite a bit, they are selling after all. Actually in the U.S. they assured customers that just about anything could be done. They do the same thing here.

When you get to the actual bank, and actual loan, its a whole different thing. My salesman assured me, we would have it all done in 3 days each time.  It took 4 banks to work something out and weeks not days . Again and again they wanted to know if I had a bank account in Mexico, and if I had Mexican credit. They wanted to see Mexican paperwork. Only had a Mexican bank account for 6 months at the time and that was not enough. had a credit account with Telcel and that was not enough. It took two days to just arrange a bank transfer from my U.S. bank for the down payment. The U.S. and U.S. money worries them.

We are talking your bank, plus three others all with U.S. connections. Finally Scotia came through with a co-signer. They have been horrible to work with, refusing to do bank transfers or cooperate in any way except physically going there and standing in line once a month.
Even my Mexican friends have been appalled. That's why I suggested starting with talking to a U.S. branch, and perhaps opening and account with a bank that operates in both countries before you come here.

Good points.

The idea of working through a bank that works on both sides of the border would be logical, but each bank has to have a charter in each country which makes them completely separate entities.
I wrote about BBVA Bancomer.  It can't hurt to look into.  Nothing to lose but time.

gudgrief wrote:

Good points.

The idea of working through a bank that works on both sides of the border would be logical, but each bank has to have a charter in each country which makes them completely separate entities.
I wrote about BBVA Bancomer.  It can't hurt to look into.  Nothing to lose but time.

Well yes they would be separate, except they do communicate, and do have the same corporate roots. A Starbucks in Mexico is separate, yet they do communicate, the same can be said about Amazon Mx.
It's an interesting world we live in indeed.

The bank charters of each country and the banking regulations of each country limit the communication and cooperation along with business goals.

Why would your credit rating by US agencies not be good enough here otherwise?  Even if you want to pay the cost of getting the credit report?

If I remember correctly Starbucks promotions and loyalty programs are not transferible between countries.

Sam's and Costco do not give you equal privileges on the websites of the other country even though you have a shipping address in that country.

gudgrief wrote:

The bank charters of each country and the banking regulations of each country limit the communication and cooperation along with business goals.

Why would your credit rating by US agencies not be good enough here otherwise?  Even if you want to pay the cost of getting the credit report?

If I remember correctly Starbucks promotions and loyalty programs are not transferible between countries.

Sam's and Costco do not give you equal privileges on the websites of the other country even though you have a shipping address in that country.

I can only point out what I actually experienced.
As for Starbucks I used my U.S. card here in Mexico, I understood the points were not transfereable, but the card was usable. I now have a card for both countries. I stopped using my Costco card because the costco is so far away, and I saw no real benefit in going there, but when I did use it it was accepted. I have never had anything to do with Sams.

Which is the distinction, I refereed to.  In person or fully domestic transactions are one thing electronically is another.  Electronic coordination across borders is not to be expected.

It would be a piece of cake to transfer dollars from a US bank account as MXN in a Mexican checking account with the exchange happening automartically.  If it's not prohibited by one government or the other, it may be that both banks would lose enough in fees to reject the notion.

When I go to a Mexican ATM to draw cash from my US checking account, both banks and Visa can charge a fee.  How it is accounted for and debited is up to the three parties.

gudgrief wrote:

Which is the distinction, I refereed to.  In person or fully domestic transactions are one thing electronically is another.  Electronic coordination across borders is not to be expected.

It would be a piece of cake to transfer dollars from a US bank account as MXN in a Mexican checking account with the exchange happening automartically.  If it's not prohibited by one government or the other, it may be that both banks would lose enough in fees to reject the notion.

When I go to a Mexican ATM to draw cash from my US checking account, both banks and Visa can charge a fee.  How it is accounted for and debited is up to the three parties.

Actually, I have not found transferring funds from a U.S. to a Mexican account to be a "piece of cake" at all. Everyone is very careful on both ends. Then there are amounts that would automatically trigger closer American scrutiny, which Mexico is always very watchful of and paperwork that the U.S.  requires the Mexican bank to fill out. I have experience with this also.
I avoid that by just using the ATM for the most part and keeping amounts with in the magic tolerably normal level.. My comments are all things I have actually done or experienced. I am not just saying what I think, or guessing.
This is all becoming more like a challenge, than information, so I will move on.
Buen dia :cheers:

Hi everyone!  We are thinking about moving to Cancun after the school year.  My husband's family lives there. I'm looking for schools for my 7 and 9 year old.  My 9yo doesn't speak or understand Spanish. My 7yo is a fle program so he is taught in Spanish and English. Anyone know of any and what current prices are?  I've tried researching online but have not had much luck. Thanks for your response!

Come to the capitol---Merida. You will be amazed at the quality of medical care and how much cheaper it is than in the USA. I have lived here over three years, and love it!

Hi all.  I've been in the background of expat.com for a while.  Been feeling the expat pull more lately and thought I'd introduce myself. 

I've had a deep desire to live abroad most of my life.  I travelled and lived in Guatemala for 5 months and southern Mexico for 1 month in '08.  I had every intention to return but life threw me a curve ball and I've been dealing with a chronic health condition for some time now.  In spite of my health, however, my desire to live outside the US has never wavered.  Though how I need to meet my needs has changed some.

Mexico is the obvious and easiest choice for me, but I'm also curious about Guatemala, Panama, Ecuador, maybe parts of Europe.  My natural pull has always been Mexico, CA or SA. 

I am interested in living in a medium sized town with a slower more laid back way of life than I can find in the United States, while having access to healthy food, water, air, and affordable medical care both conventional and alternative.  Even a small town within an hour of a city could work.  I'd love somewhere around nature, walkable but with access to transportation when I need it.  I much prefer the idea of living amongst locals with some expats nearby vs. an expat enclave.  At this time, I'm also interested in an area with relatively easy travel to the U.S., whether it be by car or a direct flight to Tijuana etc.

I in no way expect for Mexico (or wherever I end up) to fit all my wants/needs, in fact, if it wasn't for my health, I could live pretty simply in a mostly Spanish speaking area.  Nowadays though I would need to have a mix of living simply with access to some modern essentials.  I used to know quite a bit of Spanish but have forgotten a lot.  I have no doubt I could pick it up again in time.

Look forward to getting to know folks, I can already tell there is invaluable information shared here.  :)

My handle is Wind_Rider,  I have at least half a dozen places in the world that i am considering moving to, Mexico would be in the TOP three,  I have lived overseas in my professional life.  I am very curious about living in a sailboat and cruising Mexico.  Marina costs are one of the things I am concerned about.  I want to have a base to sail out of.  It seems to me that overcharging people that sail is common place, and I  need to talk to people that have this experience. This is a piece of the puzzle but of course not the only one. 
I look forward to communicating with others, on this site.  I have never been on a BLOG on the internet and it seems a little strange..   Any sailors out there, Info is appreciated. :)

So, Magenta,

I think Arkie may be right in that Merida does have some pretty good medical facilities.
But Currently, to my knowledge, that does not include Functional or alternative care. There are the local remedies and some homeopathy the locals use but I'm not sure that is what you are talking about. There is a homeopathy shop a few blocks from me.

Quiet it is not , it is very busy, and gets pretty hot.

If alternative or functional care is something you require you would be better off somewhere near Tijuana. Which would also give you easy access to the U.S. You might want to check out both places

Hi Travellight,

To be honest, at this point, I don't have a clear "alternative" medicine idea in my head.  Really just some access to people who think outside the box.  Homeopathy is safe local remedies is definitely and option.  I've thought about Rosarito and Ensenada near TJ (I live in San Diego) and plan on visiting them.  But they are just not that appealing to me yet.  Could change after I visit.  I know there are some alternative medicine places in PV such as Hyperberic Oxygen and places that do Myers cocktails (pumped up vitamins IV's) etc.

I sometimes wonder if just simplifying and de-stressing my life would be "alternative" enough to allow my body to heal.

You know what I didn't put in my post above, I would love to learn about sustainable living areas that are open to locals as well as expats.  I would be super happy with solar etc.

Hello am Lili and am recently move back from UK to Mexico am 44 and single and I would love to meet new people....

MagentaHeart wrote:

Hi Travellight,

To be honest, at this point, I don't have a clear "alternative" medicine idea in my head.  Really just some access to people who think outside the box.  Homeopathy is safe local remedies is definitely and option.  I've thought about Rosarito and Ensenada near TJ (I live in San Diego) and plan on visiting them.  But they are just not that appealing to me yet.  Could change after I visit.  I know there are some alternative medicine places in PV such as Hyperberic Oxygen and places that do Myers cocktails (pumped up vitamins IV's) etc.

I sometimes wonder if just simplifying and de-stressing my life would be "alternative" enough to allow my body to heal.

You know what I didn't put in my post above, I would love to learn about sustainable living areas that are open to locals as well as expats.  I would be super happy with solar etc.

Most of what I have found about out side of the box is a willingness to hear you out, and think about you ideas. My family member who died wanted to try IV vit C and his doctor was not closed on the subject. He was willing to approach the hospital board about it. Much more open minded than the standard U.S practitioner. I was aware PV  had some alternative treatment modalities, but there are also clinics in the Tijuana area as well as Cancun. I would do lots of research on a functional medicine site if I were you.

Yes I imagine de.stressing might make a big difference.

As for sustainable living, They have tried some things, and once again are not totally closed minded. There are some solar lights, It's a work in progress.

Closed