New members of the Costa Rica forum, introduce yourself here – 1st quarter of 2017

Hola fellow expats
We have been down to CR for a week and we are planning on coming again in August for the convention that will be held. We are planning on a week long trip, but I was wondering something is there a newspaper or online newspaper that we can look at? Hoping that there might be a listing for places to stay (for moving) or even a few months.

GinnyP, what convention are you referring too?

Online news:
AMcostarica
TicoTimes
Qcostarica
La Nacíon
Craigslist, Costa Rica

Jpipes61 wrote:

Expat Dave,
total rookie, in fact still in the starting blocks, possible already stretched but not sure and there are 23 miles to go.

re: the "nice cost of living on 1500 - 2k a month. 

Being a spoiled american brat,  Yea I am practicing before arriving.   We are planning on buying a home for the and then not have home payments.  I can hardly fathom 2k a month,  but is that "middle america middle class type living or is that budget conscious coupon clipping type living,   and please these are not meant to be stereotypes , but honest questions trying to comprehend. 

I have visited many times with the thought always resting in the back of my head - One Day.   And it looks as if that day has the chance of becoming a reality.

Thank You in advance for your time,  and I love this blog so far.

Joe

Hola Jpipes,

Welcome to Expat.com!

As it sounds like you've read, your cost of living will depend on your lifestyle and whether you can pay cash for a house.  As long as you don't have rent or a house payment, I would say you can live comfortably on $2,000 per month.  Again, just depends on "your" lifestyle.  That's about what I live on each month.  Nope, I don't coupon.  Plus the fact that there's no such thing here.   :D

Once you're here a while you will learn how to live more frugal if you are like most or the average Gringo.  You can't really compare what the average American spends compared to living in CR.  It's not the same life.  In North America we have it in our minds to want bigger and better.  You're constantly bombarded with commercials for new cars, restaurants, bigger houses, etc., etc.  You don't have that here and don't need it.

Once you're here, IF you assimilate, you will understand.  It definitely has to be experienced to really fathom.

Happy to help answer any questions you may have.

- Expat Dave

Jpipes61, most of us who already reside here, will advise new comers to rent first, to see if the area suits you.

Very easy to buy...and very difficult to sell.

The convention, that I spoke of was from International Living Magazine
It will be held in August 17th thru the 19th. It will be giving info on CR
About retiring and more information that people may want to know about it & there.
But I was wanting to know about housing for a few months, renting ect...
That's why I wanted the info about newspapers.

I just wanted to say thank you, for the leads to newspapers online. I have passed these onto my husband.

Hi all
What's there to do during the week, horseback riding, tours, ect..
Day time and/evenings
Any suggestions?

It is dark at approx 6pm all year long...so unless you go out to dinner or you choose to live around the San José where concerts, etc. are held regularly, you will find that most expats stay home after dark.

GinnyP wrote:

Hi all
What's there to do during the week, horseback riding, tours, ect..
Day time and/evenings
Any suggestions?

Hola Ginny!

One of my favorites for horseback riding and zip lining on the same day is:  http://www.adventureparkcostarica.com/e … kQodx9UNMg

It's priced at about $100 per person but it's an all day thing.  You ride horses up a really nice trail for about an hour or so and then zipline down and repel down many waterfalls.  You're on zip lines for about 4 hours - guessing.   At the end they provide a meal as well.  I've done it a few times there.

During the rainy season there's also some nice whitewater rafting - class III & IV rapids.  They say that they will be running class V as well but that's only during heavy rains and I don't know that I'd trust the guides here with class V.

Night life:  As Kohlerias was saying, this would be for the most part in the larger cities.  Best way to experience them is to go with the plan to spend the night.  Depending on where you live of course, but it's easier if you've had a few drinks and for me I don't like driving at night here at all.  Many sections of the roads between San Jose and my house do not have lines on the road.  Driving at night is not safe.  Most of the local on-line newspapers will list what happening on the weekend on Fridays.

Have fun!   :D

- Expat Dave

Moderated by Sarvesh 6 years ago
Reason : no free ads on the forum + you already have one in the housing section.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thanks Dave for your tips

I have another question, hope you don't mind...
Is there a list of ketchen things that can be brought in? Such as can goods, packaged goods, things that we have now that we bought and don't want to give or through away when we move down
We have gotten freeze dried and sealed buckets. Typical prepper stuff.
Thanks

Obviously. it isn't ExpatDave answering but you can't bring in food or even dry dog food. It will be confiscated if found and could cause you further problems with your other articles when going through customs...and you really don't want that.
Suggest you talk to your shipper before you decide to go ahead and bring any food items.

I understand (that your not Dave) and thanks for answering my question, it was open for anyone to reply to.
I was replying a ty for his answer to the other question about things to do while we are there this coming  August. We are coming early of the week of the convention and we're just wondering what we could do during the 1st part of the week.
CR seems to be the place that we will be moving to after he retires. And we're trying to figure out what we will be bringing or leaving.  You've helped us, so again thank you

If you let us know where you will be staying, it may help with our suggestions on 'what to do' while you are here. Expect rain, though...

We plan on staying close to the beach for sat & Sunday then on the other coast close to the beach on mon & tues conviction starts on Thur so we will be close to San Jose on wensday
I know it seems somewhat vag but that's way we wanted to know what to do during the 1st part of the week, either beach to began the week with will help us deside east or west

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=679380

Thanks!

Closed