Prenatal care and L&D

Has anyone had prenatal care for a pregnancy here or given birth here? I know people have baby's  everyday on the island here and it's fine. But I'm finding routine tests that were done with my first pregnancy aren't done here. I've also read in other forums your husband can't stay with you overnight with you and the baby. And you can't be alone at night with the baby so they take the baby until morning. I've also read there's a fee you have to pay before admission at El Presby, and you're paying for a bedpan, thermometer, water jug, cup etc. Also, you have to bring your own toiletries like pads and blankets, bed sheet and pillows. Has anyone had a baby here?

I read the same thing and I'm a little freaked out. We are planning to get pregnant by spring/summer and I am worried about all the above you mentioned. I had preeclampsia my first pregnancy so I need to have a doctor that is well educated on this. I'll keep looking and asking around about this and let you know what I find out.

How far along are you?

I'm 14 weeks and have looked around for doctors. I ended up at the San Juan City Hospital. In all my visits they haven't asked for a urine sample, or the genetic testing. But they check for stds and Zika every trimester. Seems like stds are more of an issue here. It's also good to know your insurance plan. Two offices I visited seemed to overcharge patients and not know their insurance plan.

Hello, oh my goodness!  We are going to start trying soon for baby #2.  And we are considering El Presby also.  I didn't know about any this!  The protocol seems different to how it is done in East Tennessee. I always feel like offices here overcharge and they give you attitude if you inquire about the payment details.

Hi! I always check with my insurance first. I used to manage a dental office in California so I'm familiar with insurances. A lab in Guaynabo that my OB recommended wanted to charge me about $560 for genetic testing. I called my insurance and of course it was 100% covered. Such a hassle.

I'm still worried about having the baby and not being able to keep him with me at all times after deliver and not having my husband with me during my hospital stay. That I am not ok with and will possibly fly back home to San Diego to have a baby.

I think you can if you pay for a private room.  I'm going back to the states my last trimester. A few of my husbands friends have sent their wives home or they've stayed behind to have their baby in the states.

If they are born in the states they will not be natives of the island. Millions of kids have been born here.

For many years in the states it has been customary to bring the kid for feedings and bond time and the rest of the time the kids were in the nursery, none of my 2 kids in the states nor the one born in PR slept in my wife hospital room. So I see it as a preference. But it is your kid.

I had my daughter in California. She stayed with me all through the night except for when they had to do testing or a bath and that was no more than two hours at a time. I was alone at night with her, private room, didn't have to ask for it. No fuss was made by any of the staff, I had a great experience. I'd rather have our child be a California baby.

There are hospitals that allow you to stay with your child. If you'd like more information on what the law says and how to protect your rights, check with groups. I know of PROMANI  that offers support during pregnancy and after. You can check their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/PROMANI.ORG/

My friends say it's a right to have baby stay in your room, but the friendliest is Auxilio Mutuo, Ashford,  and Municipal of San Juan Centro médico.

A friend just told me that Auxilio Mutuo closed its nursery, so baby officially stays with mom. I'd imagine dad is allowed to stay as well, it's also your right to always be accompanied by whomever you choose.

Thank you! I'm gonna see if can get the hospital policy and rules for labor and delivery directly from the hospitals. I know that at San Juan Centro Médico they don't allow cell phones in the delivery room or recording of any kind. Only disposable cameras. I'll post once I have it!

Same here, had my baby with me every second of my hospital stay and my husband stayed over night with me. I had my baby in Oceanside, CA. My husband was also suggesting I go home the last trimester to have put baby at the same hospital. These policies are so outdated. It makes me worry. Also having to bring your own pillows and sheets and supplies... that's so crazy.

What hospital did you have your baby?

It was in Murrieta, the hospital also had a NICU. There was extra staff during her delivery and the hospital was pretty busy. Postpartum care was great and they were never in a rush to get me out of there. They gave out a bag of extra supplies for home care as well as attachments for medela pump since they loaned me a pump in the hospital.

Justpeachyy wrote:

Has anyone had prenatal care for a pregnancy here or given birth here?
I've also read in other forums your husband can't stay with you overnight with you and the baby.
And you can't be alone at night with the baby so they take the baby until morning. I've also read there's a fee you have to pay before admission at El Presby, and you're paying for a bedpan, thermometer, water jug, cup etc. Also, you have to bring your own toiletries like pads and blankets, bed sheet and pillows. Has anyone had a baby here?

Yes...I had my baby in PR at Presby. It was nothing at all like I expected and we even toured the Hospital before. My husband was not allowed with me in the ER obgyn section of the Hospital and I was alone in Labor for 6 hours, he was with me when they moved me into a Labor Room. At night since I had a shared room he was not allowed overnight with me. My baby was with me overnight, but I had a female friend stay with me.

We did pay an admission fee and also the kit which included stuff for the baby like diapers etc.  We had to pay for my Husbands Scrubs right before he was allowed in the operating room with me. Private Suite are available but were expensive.

You don't have to bring a bottom bed sheet but you do need a pillow and Blanket. Also you need all your own toiletries, pads, underwear etc.

Thank you so much for the info!!!

Justpeachyy wrote:

Thank you so much for the info!!!

Any updates? How are things going for you?  I hope you are doing well!

I'm still in PR! At 36 weeks there's no way I want to travel. Lol Here they give you a little card with all your prenatal care info and testing results and OB info. If you go in to labor or have an emergency and end up at a different hospital than the one planned the prenatal card is my "lucky ticket" so it shouldn't be a hassle if I can't make it. I have a suitcase packed with everything I could possibly need pillow, blanket, etc. Haven't bought the kit yet or done a hospital tour so I'll update when I do!

Well, I was able to get admitting paperwork at Ashford and well, all I can say is Im glad I got the paperwork before I go in to labor.

Hospital does not provide the following:
Bed pan/ Urinal $15
Pillows $8
Blanket $16
Prices do not include tax and are available at the pharmacy.
Portable beds $6/ day non refundable

Deposits deductibles and payments are due at time of admission.

Baby care kit $35 (cap, brush, comb, 4 onesies, 12 diapers 10 washcloths pair of socks and umbilical cord antiseptic)

Materials for epidural $150
Newborn hearing test $50
PKU $115 (Newborn screening test done on every newborn for certain harmful or potentially fatal disorders that aren't otherwise apparent at birth. With a simple blood test, doctors often can tell whether newborns have certain conditions that eventually could cause problems)
Nitrous oxide $125/hr (pain reliever during labor)
RetScan Test $140 ????

Private room $80
Suite $205
Alumbra $180
Alumbra suite $255
Couldn't get a tour cause they wanted my medical record.

Hey Justpeachyy, does that mean we have a new Puerto Rican to celebrate?

Not yet! Hoping she cooks up until my birthday!

Justpeachyy wrote:

Not yet! Hoping she cooks up until my birthday!

Cool she will be a native Puerto Rican, make sure she learns Spanish.

Hello.  Can you give me any information on the zika testing and warnings you have been given during your checkups?  We are TTC and planning a move to PR so any information you can provide would be most helpful!

They pretty much just said use repellent, cover up to avoid bites and have partner use "protection" while pregnant. Since Zika is no longer a threat so they say they probably won't mention it much, but do avoid getting bit by mosquitos. Zika testing depending on the lab can take a couple days or a few weeks to months depending on where it gets sent for testing.

Thank you!  The CDC warning of not traveling to Puerto Rico has me really concerned.  I wasn't sure how it was being handled on the island.

You will see pregnant women in mini dresses or completely covered up. My OB in CA told me not to risk it going back to PR. I'm assuming Zika is taken seriously in the states compared to here in PR. I wouldn't chance it since everything is so uncertain still if you have the option.

So I've had my baby. I don't want to write a long post, I'm just going to say if you have the opportunity to have your baby in the states, have your baby in the states along with prenatal care.

👍🏼Congratulations, New Puerto Rican.
Hope all went well, but looks like not as well as you wanted based on your advice

Congratulations! May your family be blessed!

Justpeachyy wrote:

So I've had my baby. I don't want to write a long post, I'm just going to say if you have the opportunity to have your baby in the states, have your baby in the states along with prenatal care.

Congratulations!!!

I'd really appreciate any specifics on what makes you say that or things to watch out for if you feel up to it sometime :) 

Enjoy your new addition!!!

Baby pictures????
Maybe when you feel up to it you can post some in the FB group.