Going to Taiwan (from Hanoi) for few days Anyone been/done this route?

Hi all,

Happy New Year - I'm off to Taipei tomorrow and have a few questions if anyone can kindly advise.

Firstly - the money, I know dong is non convertible, I have a VPBank card that has a Smartlink logo on the back which I think can be used in most of the Asia Pacific region but as back up can anyone advise a  place with a reasonable rate to exchange to TND in Hanoi?

Visas and fees: You get a VOA when you land in Taiwan is that correct, no fee?

There for 3 days - how much cash do you think I'll need.

What to do ??? A friend told me to head to Ximending - I haven't booked anywhere yet to stay but how to get the most out of Taipei for 3 days - what are the top spots, best things to see and do - I'll be on my own so no need for romantic spots.

Places to head for a single guy? It'd be nice to bump into some local women and transgress!

Cheers O_o'

You can change money at the bank, or to get better ratio local gold shops. Not sure about Taiwan But in Bangkok you can change even VND to THB ;)

Hello everyone,

@fluffysmith, please note that your thread has been moved on the Taipei forum.

Enjoy your stay  :)

Christopher
Expat.com

Thanks, although this side of the forum is pretty quiet :/

1. At least NT$ 12,000 cash
2. Apply VOA online when you are at home first. There should be no fee for Vietnamese citizen.
3. There will be some tourist info center(they are yellow) at th airport and at some metro station if you really don't know what to do. (For below I can suggest you the things that will help traveling in Taipei: I would recommend you to buy a SIM card at the airport with Internet. So you can use your smartphone to travel around. When you arrive Taipei, find a metro station, buy a "easy card, " and top maybe NT 200 up first.( you can always top up the card later at any metro station, family mart or 7-11)  Then you can use it to travel with the trains, metro, bus system, public bike, and even taxi with your "easy card" (you can also shop with your easy card at convenience stores)
4. BTW,  prostitution is NOT legal in Taiwan. You will be representing your country when you travel. I hate to say this, but generally Taiwanese don't have good impression on the Southeast Asian citizens. Hope you will make a different impression on them.
5. Good luck and enjoy!

Hi, many thanks for your comprehensive reply.
Firstly, I wasn't referring to prostitution, just a place where respectable single woman might frequent, just to hang, nothing sordid.
12k for 2 nights and one full day OK?
I can't see online if I can change dong when u land in Taipei, otherwise will withdraw there.
Thanks for all the info about travel and getting sim card. Will definitely do that. Also can you recommend any where to stay at budget price. Scouring Agoda now.cheers!