Relocating to Bangalore from London

Hi all,

I'm an NRI born and raised in London moving to Bangalore soon with my family (3 kids, wife and mum) for work.  Looking forward to it but figuring out where to live and schooling for the kids is a minefield so I'm hoping I can get help and advice here.

My office is in ITPL, Whitefield but I get the feeling that Whitefield is a bit out of the way and we're keen to be in the 'thick of it' in Bangalore.  We don't necessarily want to be stick in an expat compound - a bit too sterile and removed from the India we want to immerse ourselves in.  But on the other hand, we do want the safety and facilities of a gated community.

1.  Which areas are recommended for family life but are not too removed from amenities or from Bangalore life.

2. Are there any apartment complexes that would be suitable for a family of 6?  What would be the average cost for rental?  Is it possible to rent furnished properties.

3.  What's the commute like from these areas to ITPL, Whitefield?

4.  What are good schools in these areas for my boys who are aged 3, 5 and 6?

5.  Is there much difference between the international schools and the private schools?

Any replies would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

dav33

Hi dav33, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Concerning the accommodation search, i suggest you to have a look at the Bangalore classifieds > accommodation section and you can even post an advert there as well.

I wish you good luck and i hope other members will be able to advice you.

Christine

Dear Dav,

Go through:  picasaweb.google.com/propertee

If interested, mail me to [email protected]

Hi all,

Is anyone out there able to help with these questions - it would be very helpful.  As always, the more info the better the decision we can make so please do respond.

Thanks,

dav33.

Hi Dav

1.  Which areas are recommended for family life but are not too removed from amenities from Bangalore life.
You can be near center city, Koramangala, Kasturinagar, KR Puram, Ring road areas, etc., anywhere about 12-15 km radius from center city would be fine

2. Are there any apartment complexes that would be suitable for a family of 6?  What would be the average cost for rental?  Is it possible to rent furnished properties.
Bangalore is full of apartments, flats, and you will surely get it in the budget of 10k onwards to any limit.  Suggest go for unfurnished and you get the things done yourse.f

3.  What's the commute like from these areas to ITPL, Whitefield?
commuting from ITPL, whitefield to any place is good now a days... lots of direct busses and luxury bussess available to any part of bangalore from there.

4.  What are good schools in these areas for my boys who are aged 3, 5 and 6?
schools, every area good convent is available

5.  Is there much difference between the international schools and the private schools?
yes, syllabus, course contents, fee structure differs..

cheers
saru
[email protected]

Hi Dav, I assume this is your first visit to India. I would strongly suggest that you find a place of residence around Whitefield to start off with. And also a school that is not far from your residence. You don't want to contend with Bangalore traffic every day by living far away. The traffic situation is already terrible, and is getting worse every day.

Whitefield is not as isolated as it used to be; in fact, there's a lot of development there now, and there are many residential complexes already, especially in the stretch between Whitefield and Hebbal; a number of nice roads have come up in those parts, which are much better than you'll find in the middle of the city. You will find many NRIs living in those parts; lots of software engineers back from the US, and so on. So, there's no question of isolation.

I believe there are a number of so-called international schools in those parts that are supposed to be good. I think the better international schools have better infrastructure and facilities and offer a lot of activities for the kids, and you'll also find the kids of expats studying there. These schools are also relatively more expensive. It is possible that the staff at these schools have better international exposure and would therefore (hopefully) be more open-minded in their interactions with students. Some of the schools may be rip-offs that use the word "international" just to extort more money, so you'll have to gather information about them before deciding. The environment at the "merely private" schools may not be very comfortable for your kids.

I don't have any more specific information for you at the moment. I know someone who's living and working in that area, so I could try to gather more information.

Ciao!

Natesh

Welcome on board Natesh,

Thanks you for your contribution! ;)

My pleasure, Yud :-) Glad to be here.

Hi,

There are lots of good places to settle in bangalore and more importantly near to work place.  A few options are Indiranagar, Koramangala etc,.

There are lots of schools (international) in and around these areas which offer quality schoolings.

Regards
Shivaram

Hi Dev

In north Bangalore you have shobha row houses and gated community (swiss town) and posh apartment likes prestige dorchester.
And in fact most of the truly:) international schools are this part of town.(here even CBSE or ICSE even State board school call them self International):lol:
I suppose you are looking for British school then visit TRIO WORLD SCHOOL ...that's the only British international school in Bangalore.
In Whitefield you can prefer palm meadows,prestige ozone and chaitainya etc.And TISB is good international school there.