Beaches on Ambergris Caye

Are they natural or man made? I see a lot of pictures of beaches that shows rocks, I think they are rocks, between the beach and the water. Also, the dark spots in the water, is that coral? If so, that explains the piers.

I've seen quite a few beaches on ambergris caye and don't believe I saw any of them with rocks ambergris key is a coral reef with sand built upon it the beaches are minimal and there are quite a few weeds in the water so the reason everybody has a long here is because it's shallow quite a ways out The Reef breaks wave action which you need to have a nicer Beach have someone show you how to use YouTube so you can see what the beaches are like

sloputtputt wrote:

Are they natural or man made? I see a lot of pictures of beaches that shows rocks, I think they are rocks, between the beach and the water. Also, the dark spots in the water, is that coral? If so, that explains the piers.

I think in the pictures what appear to be rocks (dark strips) are really strips of Sargasso along the waterline. Sargasso is a seaweed that originates in the Atlantic and covers the beaches of San Pedro. Throughout the year and particularly during High Season the resorts clean it up every morning. The strips you see are residuals that have floated ashore after cleaning. Here is a link to my post on Sargasso and the beaches of Belize if you are interested in knowing more.

http://billdoesbelize.com/sargasso-and- … of-belize/

The beaches are beautiful for laying on, but because of the reef effect resulting in little to no wave action the sea bottom tends to be quite silty. The long docks are due to the shallow waters for quite away out as mentioned in a previous comment, but can be a good option for swimming off rather than wading through the silt.

Most folks with a golf cart will go north on the island to "secret beach" (not much of a secret anymore). I have never been so I can't speak to how much better it is, but I have only ever heard positive comments.

Hope this helps.

Bill, if you say the sea bottom is quite silty, I am guessing the beaches are man made. Especially, the beaches in front of resorts. I was right about the piers according to the article that you linked.

The reason for the long piers is it is shallow a long ways out.  The water taxis need deeper water and maneuvering room.  while there may be man made beaches there are very few of them.