Medical Insurance in Mexico

Hello Fellow Expats!

I am going to be moving to Playa del Carmen later this year. First to attend an ESL/CELTA program for one month and then to stay and look for work. I will reside wherever I can find work and want to say in the PDC coast area.

Not knowing the length of my stay (since it is dependent on acquiring work), I am considering the various options for medical insurance.

1) Is it necessary to have while living in Mexico?

2) Would you suggest getting a US based Traveler's Insurance? If so, which one is a good budget value?
OR
3) Is it possible for a non-resident to purchase Mexico insurance? How is the coverage and what are the costs? How can I learn more about this?

Also, I am 40, in good health and not requiring regular medication. This would be more for emergencies or any other random illness that might arise.

I would love any thoughts/opinions on this topic!!

Thank you a bunch!

Marilyn

You can learn a lot more by Googling.
Reputable US companies offer travelers insurance and it's easy enough to get quotes.
I believe anyone can buy medical insurance from Mexican insurers.

But I do have bring up the following points.  To work legally for a school or company, you have to have a firm job offer.  If that's the case, you might be better off applying for a temporary residence visa, you can get cheap insurance from IMSS or Seguro Popular if your employer doesn't offer insurance.

For a 40 year old in good health, I suspect Mexican insurance would be pretty reasonable.

I live in a small city of less than 60,000 people.  Even here, there's no shortage of language schools.  There are also several Internet courses that may or may not be worth what people pay.  There are also quite a few private tutors that may be working on a cash basis under the table.

Have you done any research on the demand for and pay for ESL teachers?

I realize this is rambling and poorly organized.  The fact is, getting legal work in Mexico can be complicated.