House vs condo?

Wondering what your thoughts are about condos vs houses?  I can't imagine myself living in a condo, as I don't think I would like that many people around me all the time!  I would think there would be a lot of new people all the time  too, as often they are rented out.  And then you may have a problem with people who don't pay the monthly association fees so the association doesn't do the ongoing upkeep like they should, which is not a good investment, especially if you are one of the only few paying.  Plus I have dogs that bark occasionally, which likely would be a major issue.  I would not want to buy something and then get thrown out because I have little dogs that bark!  (A house with a fenced yard that the dogs could just run out would be much easier and practical too).  A condo may allow me to purchase something on the beach for less money than a house, so that is appealing.  And being on my own, someone doing the upkeep may be easier, vs a house.  Plus it may be safer to secure than a home if you lived there part time vs full time. 

Any of the part-timers, how do you assure that your home is safe if you are not there?  Or that people aren't using your house or utilities without your knowledge?  And although it would help financially to rent it if I was not there, I don't think I would want strangers in my house.  Plus I have an obsession with mid-century modern furniture, and have pieces that I would not want damaged, as you can't replace them.   It is not that they are so valuable, but they are to me, and renters would not take the same care.   I would also hope I could grow things at my house, such as fruit, etc, which you can't do in a condo.   I am sure there are a myriad of other issues, but these are just the ones that popped into my head right now.

Throw some opinions, thoughts out there!  Would love to hear what you all think!

That depends on your likes. A condo usually means you do not have to deal with yard work. But like an apartment you are living in a match box sharing 1 to 5 walls with other people. If they are good and quiet, great¡ but sometimes they are not and you are stuck because you bought the place and so did they.

Urbanizaciones (sub divisions) are similar, there is little to no yard separating you from other houses. You have a noice problem, people park their 6 cars in the street making it difficult for you to get in and out of your place. Also very little privacy and no wind since their house blocks your wind and they can look into your place.

I prefer a house with land all around, while I can not choose my neighbors, at least they are a little away from me so I don't have to shoot them.

Remember that these are families, as kids grow they become teenagers and later young adults so the situation changes with time and teenagers and young adults like loud music and noisy cars.

But you may be used to living in apartments and cities so condos can be heaven for you.

We built a house in the west side of the island. We use a local guy that keeps the yard clean, water our  plants and keeps an eye on the property. Also, we installed remote monitoring cameras inside and outside. This way we can monitor our place while away. We travel back every 3 months or so and up until now, no issues with our place.

Adlin20

That sounds like a good combination of security layers.  Cameras that allow remote monitoring are nice, what company are you using for security?    We went with Alpha One with eight cameras, all outside, but interior cameras may be a good idea.   

Regardless of the technology, it is hard to beat boots on the ground.   When away we have a local friend that is a live in caretaker, I sleep better knowing that the place is relatively safe.

Question as to cameras, are you guys using plugin cameras or battery powered, I ask because they will run out if you are not there to keep an eye on them draining out.

I think the system is plug in with a battery back up.    The video is recorded and stored.   

My cameras are fixed, but I think more sophisticated types are available that pan and zoom, but that may be just something else that can go wrong.   Would like to know more about what is available or recommended in cameras and motion detectors.

Each option is different depending on your needs and wants... From the real estate market point of view the biggest diferente no one mentions are finance options, rates on HOA and Condominiums Insurance rates vs single Homes, Condominiums pay very high insurance rates vs House. There are no options available to install renewable energy on Condominiums and once you wish to move on and sell the Condo it will take a very long time to sell the main reason (Finance Options) since basically slim to none of these type of properties qualify for FHA financing. ***
Cordially

Jose R Hernandez
Real Estate Sale Agent
Hernandez Perez Realty

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Kindly share information without promoting your services.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi im planning to build on the west side as well. Who did you use for a builder and would mind sharing that info. Thanks!