Food expericience

Varita stands for small stick.
Basically you got it. Rotisserie chicken

Oh I'm getting hungry..

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lecho … 38!6m1!1e1

Oh yea, Lechonera. Each town has several, the area of Guavate has lines of it and music and people parting.
Find guavate in the map. Is between Caguas and Cayey Central south east Puerto Rico. Weekends in the evening the place is hopping and the music is going, but they are open everyday.

I want to try out some malanga next trip and try making it.  We've been wanting to try new and different (for us,lol) veggies each time we come.

I have tried this technique with, Yucca,Name, Lautia and a few other viandas and I malanga was the besgt prepared this way. I also bought an antique  potato slicer at a flea market in North Carolina and it cuts the viandas paper thin.

The traditional way to eat the Viandas (starchy vegetables: Panas, Ñames, Yautia, Batatas, Green Bananas, Green Platains, others) is a simple boil after they are peeled. Get them out the water, cut them into one or two bite size, add some garlic, good olive oil, some raw onions, salt, pepper, mix them up and you got a meal, maybe add some avocado and maybe add some meat to the side. Batatas are also fried or baked and are a favorite to accompany Lechon (when baked).

You could make fries out of them by cutting them paper thin when raw and frying them but not traditional, not that it matters, whet matters is filing your stomach with goodness.

If you grow them you got yourself a free meal, but remember they are starchy so, weight gain.

I gain 1 pound a day when I am in PR. mostly due to stuffing my face on foods I don't get to eat in the states.

We do very little fried food so probably will boil it and season like Rey said.

Here is the Anthony Bourdain episode in its entirety and free:
Anthony Bourdain in PR

In Fajardo, House of Empanadillas at Seven Seas Beach is great, and when you're done eating, you can walk right to the beach.

Also in Fajardo, Metropol is a much and one of my favorite "chain" restaurants on the island. I believe there are three on the island, but Fajardo is the only one I go to. The churrasco is amazing here. MY number one on the island. The customer service is the best that I have seen in any place I have gone (except for Outback in Bayamon).

For alcapurrias, stop at Kiosco Boricua by SJU in Piñones. Best alcapurrias on the island, and the only place you will see a ridiculous line. They make everything from scratch and to order, hence the wait time. Go there with some time on your hands. They have a small bar, and a beautiful beach right across the street.

I travel extensively throughout the island. Tons of great food, and some not so great ones as well.

The house of Empanadillas is the one I wanted to tell people about in Fajardo but forgot the name thanks.
As to alcapurias, I like going to the kiosks in Loira, right along the water, many are fresh and you have to wait to eat them or burn your mouth.

Have you tried the alcapurrias at Kiosko Boricua? They use a different mixture and it just tastes different than any other one I have tried.

I was mostly in Piñones to get lucky with a girl, never had an alcapuria there.

I don't know if this is the same episode that I saw (I'm on my phone, and do not care to link), but if it is, I felt Bourdain was very disrespectful to PR.

Flawless strategy. :)

mac00677 wrote:

I don't know if this is the same episode that I saw (I'm on my phone, and do not care to link), but if it is, I felt Bourdain was very disrespectful to PR.

Anthony is an acquired taste. I understand that some don't get where he comes from. I didn't find it that way, found it more of people didn't get him. But then again, I'm a fan of sarcasm, when done properly, in jest.

I do tend to curve mine to the situation, but if you didn't like his humor..
You probably won't like mine...
Though I do test lightly to see where it goes...
Anthony goes for it.

Sorry to see you saw it that way. I just laughed when I saw him fail...

You either love or hate his sarcasm. He respected the food though I thought.

The pig roast looked great, I got try it!  For those who have experience, can you recommemd a good place for pork with crispy skin?

As far as Tony is concerned, he can go blank himself; but the food speaks for itself.

I checked out the place he went to for pork in Cayey; it did not sit well. Their food is not always fresh, so it's better to go when it is busy, maybe. I'm not giving it another chance. It looked to me like they reheated previous day's food, and some of the pork even had pig hair still on it. No bueno.

Hmmm...on second thought, we can scratch the joint in Cayey.  But there must be another or two on the island.

Visit your local lechonerias. Typically they will operate Friday Saturday Sunday

I am sure Hatillo has a minimum of 2 if not more, local means it is easy to get and likely just as good as the ones in Guavate which are famous.

Yea, the wife just told me that we have one in Hatillo that is recommended, (across from Walmart?)  we just have not tried it yet.  But we are flying back very soon, so we can give it a try next week.

As we gradually learn about the area, more and more local gems are uncovered.

Hatillo is a great area and mid point to a lot of stuff so you are never too far from Metro and the west. I think you made a great choice about getting a place in that town. Approach the locals even if they speak little English, they can tell you all the great places to go and places to eat.

Sitka,

Yes 2 Lechoneras in Hatillo I've tried.  The one on Carr.2 going towards Super Walmart but before .  Go East on 2 until you see a Puma Gas station on the right.  Opposite Puma on westbound is the Lechonera. Km 83-84?  U-turn required to be in front of place.  It's a hit&miss with this place sometimes moist other dry.  But every other dishes are good.  Better place is Lechonera reyes on Rt. 130.  130 is road by the new Walgreens & Amigo supermarket.  Go up about 5min drive pass entrance to Barrio Capaez, pass Selectos supermarket on your left continue to you see Lechonera Reyes on your left.  Inside food better than outside appearance.  Everything there very tasty.. try "arroz con gandules" with lechon and choices of compliments. Reasonable prices.

ReyP,
    Yes , in Hatillo you will find many natives who spent some time in the mainland long enough to have picked up the language.  If you engage in English they will speak to you in english, some better than others.  But don't expect them to speak english unless they have to.  Also I've noticed  many mainlanders renting out apts or houses to get a feel of the town/island.  Some are bilingual or 1 of couple is Puerto Rican or hispanic.  Hatillo is becoming quietly discovered.  It does have Everything you would find in the states..  I tend to stop and ask these folks where they're from and not surprisely...all parts of the USA.  I usually run into them in the supermarkets, Malls etc.  Every town must be explored to find what you need or want or both.

We have a really good restaurant in Hatillo, that is famous for their pastrami sandwich, Truco de Guin.   If you're in the area, I can recommend it.  Locals say that the original owner (now passed away) would never turn away a hungry person, if they could not pay, he would waive the bill.  How's that for PR hospitality!

JoseTosa wrote:

ReyP,
    Yes , in Hatillo you will find many natives who spent some time in the mainland long enough to have picked up the language.  If you engage in English they will speak to you in english, some better than others.  But don't expect them to speak english unless they have to.  Also I've noticed  many mainlanders renting out apts or houses to get a feel of the town/island.  Some are bilingual or 1 of couple is Puerto Rican or hispanic.  Hatillo is becoming quietly discovered.  It does have Everything you would find in the states..  I tend to stop and ask these folks where they're from and not surprisely...all parts of the USA.  I usually run into them in the supermarkets, Malls etc.  Every town must be explored to find what you need or want or both.

Great to hear that the area is coming up in the world, other than passing by, the last I was in Hatillo was like 20 years ago, so it is good that it is becoming more international. it used to be Campo.

Sitka wrote:

We have a really good restaurant in Hatillo, that is famous for their pastrami sandwich, Truco de Guin.   If you're in the area, I can recommend it.  Locals say that the original owner (now passed away) would never turn away a hungry person, if they could not pay, he would waive the bill.  How's that for PR hospitality!

I seen many people stop by a house to ask a question and ends up having dinner with the family or sitting in the yard enjoying a few drinks. Once you are out of the metro area people are more trusting and friendly, so I have no reason not to believe that he would give them a free meal.
Many will also teach you how to plant plants and treat them and send you home with a few Panas and fruits.

ReyP wrote:
JoseTosa wrote:

ReyP,

Great to hear that the area is coming up in the world, other than passing by, the last I was in Hatillo was like 20 years ago, so it is good that it is becoming more international. it used to be Campo.

Not sure what you mean "Campo"?

Wow 20yrs ago, yes long time. Then you wouldn't recognize the town lol. It was all "Campo" in 1972 when I was in the 7th grade. All cow country as it is known as the Milk/ dairy industry of the island.  But Hatillo has come a long way and for the better.  Locals prematurely like to say welcome to Hatillo City lol.. like most of the western towns. Who knows, one day.  I prefer it just to just be a developed small town😁, prefer the campo personally.

"Campo" means country/countryside when pertaining to a particular area of a town.  I prefer the campo, less city like movement and traffic.  Although for us Hatillo is getting a lot more movement more noticeable these 5-10yrs.. It has like everything else it's plus &minuses.

Sitka wrote:
ReyP wrote:
JoseTosa wrote:

ReyP,

Not sure what you mean "Campo"?

Campo = Country as non metro or boonies.

JoseTosa wrote:

Wow 20yrs ago, yes long time. Then you wouldn't recognize the town lol. It was all "Campo" in 1972 when I was in the 7th grade. All cow country as it is known as the Milk/ dairy industry of the island.  But Hatillo has come a long way and for the better.  Locals prematurely like to say welcome to Hatillo City lol.. like most of the western towns. Who knows, one day.  I prefer it just to just be a developed small town😁, prefer the campo personally.

I left PR when I was 20 in 1973 so I remember it as Campo, I driven by since then and it is changed a lot. I remember when Caguas was Campos and Hato Rey was starting to build all those tall buildings. I used to swim in the holes they dug for their foundation when it would fill with rain water. Over the last 43 years PR has changed a lot, every time I travel back it is a little different, sometimes for the worse. I too like Campo but I also never had an issue with the metro area, I grew up in Cantera, Santurce, Hato Rey and Condado and Loiza were my play ground. Many family in Fajardo, Las Piedras, Juncos.

Had a gal from Texas telling me that she went and visited a new friend in a city called El Campo. :) She was asking me where it was located.

Explained to her it describes the country, farm areas or course, as well the mountains.

May have a hard time finding that friend house in the future

I guess it's the chicken that you put on a metal stick and roast it.

Every so often I introduce you all to Spanish words like El Campo because they are common in PR but not something you would hear every day in the states.
May help down the road.

Marion-Olga wrote:

Rotisserie chicken, slowly spin and roast over a heat source and let the spices and meat juices coat the inside and outside of the chicken which leaves it full of flavor and juicy

ReyP wrote:
Marion-Olga wrote:

Rotisserie chicken, slowly spin and roast over a heat source and let the spices and meat juices coat the inside and outside of the chicken which leaves it full of flavor and juicy

"Pollo al carbón" you can find a truck food on the side of the road selling it. Usually they sell it with "viandas" o "arroz con gandules". I remember picking up a chicken with some rice on our way to the beach!!

Here is a video of Pollo al Carbon, warning I became hungry after watching it
https://www.facebook.com/MISUELOBORICUA … 488176952/