Figuring out your Budget for Electricity

Figuring out budget for electricity and related items.

In Puerto Rico, you are likely to eat llighter meals (due to the heat) and cook more in the grill than in an electric oven. You also may have the opportunity to use a propane stove and oven so you will not need much electricity for that.

Another saving is heating, you will not have to run a heating system during Spring, Fall and Winter as in the states which tends to substantially increase the cost of your utilities in general counting the use of either either heating oil or Natural Gas.

You are probably using a tank based water heater in the states so it is constantly using some fuel and electricity  to keep the water at the same temperature even when not in use. In PR you may want to look into an Inline water heating system which is very common in the island as it only heats the water when you try to use hot water, otherwise it just monitors when to come alive. Small units can be set under the sink, shower and other places or you can run a whole house unit.

Your air conditioner in the states is likely to be a window mounted unit which are not super efficient and they leak around the window. In PR you can use the same type or use a split units which while more expensive than a good air conditioner, they are a lot more efficient and seal better than a window mounted unit.

As you can see, you have a lot of opportunities to have lower bills overall (heating and cooling) since all you need is cooling.

So for Puerto Rico we are going to make some assumptions. We will assume that the worst usage of electricity in the states during summer months will be the same as in Puerto Rico. So we are talking a year round summer based on worst month once you move to PR. This will let us look at the worst case scenario unless you decide to use more air conditioner, and cook more with electric oven than you do in the states during the worst month of the year.

So get out your electric bill and take a look at the worst summer month in 2016. It does not mater if you run a pool or not, worst month is worst month. Take a look at the number of kilowatt hours used that month (KWH) and set that number aside.

Now Puerto Rico is going thru a lot of pain with the debt and the cost of electricity, so the KWH rate is high and soon it will be approaching the KWH rate of Hawaii which happens to have a lot of similarities with Puerto Rico. The current rate for Puerto Rico is about 23 cents per KiloWatt Hour. But we are looking at additional rate increases likely, so lets use instead 27.16 cents with is the rate used for Hawaii.

Assuming for a moment that you only use 500 KWH per month during summer months in the states and using the Hawaii KWH rate, your bill should be around $135.80 plus any other fees they decide to add. The formula in this case is 500 * .2716 = 135.80

Just change the above with the number of KWH you use instead for your own number.

You may spend less for all the above reasons I stated prior to the calculation but each household is different. Some of you will use a lot more electricity because you are getting acclimated to a year long summer like weather, but little by little your body will get used to it and the calculated value will become more like the norm.

Do expect your food bill to be higher to the tone of about 20% more since most foods are imported and some of what you eat in the states as staples are not going to be staples in PR.

GET A GENERATOR, electricity outages are common and can sometimes last several days. Some of the generators can be set online and power the entire house. Some models will sense that the electricity drops and turn themselves on and run until they run out of fuel or the electricity comes back. They can be powered by Gas or by propane and usually have a battery to run the electronics until a power failure occur. Check oil and battery and test it at least once a month.

Solar power is also an option but it has a high initial cost, but typically last about 25 years before major replacements of panels are needed. Unfortunately Solar panels do no good at night and produce less electricity during cloudy days. You can add additional panels to compensate and also get the above mentioned Generator so you are fairly independent of the grid and less likely to have to pay the higher rates coming in the future.

** Not recommending wind electric production since wind is very unpredictable and most turbines need a minimum wind speed to produce usable electricity.

Like always, your situation may be different, this is to help you figure out your budget. If you find that in PR you use a lot more KWH than in the states, see what has changed and adjust accordingly.
Rey

Rey,

Excellent information!   What is the minimum wind threshold for power generation by wind?

Most have a need of 5 miles per hour minimum and around 12-18 average. So on days with no wind or low wind, you are using the grid.

ReyP,
Great topic to discuss and help inform others on what and how to prepare.  As far as Saving$$ it's definitely cheaper to manage utilities when you throw in Heatings comparisons.  Northeastern states like ours, the winters will kill any budget.  I have oil heating and we all know how expensive oil can get.  Puerto Rico costs for heating, ZERO!! yes!.  Electric on the other hand not so lucky, but bearable.  Other than AC for night sleeping and/or really hot humid days electric is manageable depending on wants.  Rates are expected to rise by 3-4 cents this Jan according reports on WAPA pr news, which I see daily.  I have a electric hot water system throughout house, haven't notice a noticeable spike in bills.  My stove runs on propane which is great compare to my monthly bills for the year in NY.  Food expenses as far as we see isn't that bad overall.  Milk is ridiculous and possibly going up soon, fruits bit higher and certain meats.  Perishables are either equal or less there than stateside.  Sometimes we go to Sam's Club and buy in bulk and save pretty good.
  Overall in my opinion, the savings is much higher in PR than here in NY WHEN you take all into consideration.. For me, my biggest savings is in Heating costs and helps greatly with any higher higher Electric & water rates.  It all comes together somehow.

I am so jealous of those in the island!!!!
Freaking cold here and heat bill tru the roof. I use natural gas boiler and water heater, electric stove/oven.

We use a on line water heater and only for showers. Stove is propane and we installed all light bulbs LEDs. Air conditioner is an inverter console used at night for sleeping. We have spent a month in the house and our electric bill runs around $45/month. Compared to our 1 bedroom apartment in California, our electric bill there is around $85/month. For groceries I will say is about the same. Water bill runs around $35/month even with watering the plans every other day, we pay $80 in the apartment for water and trash collection.
I can say my expenses are way less in the island, just the apartment rent is $3100/month v/s $0 on the house.
Plus you cannot compare the weather! Today is a sunny 85 degrees!!

Hi adlin20,
   Holy molly, I thought NYC was expensive.  Which part of Cali are you from?  Average 1 bdrm apt. in descent areas of the 5 boros run between $1300-$2500 water and heat included.  I agree if you average all the costs of living expenses I still find PR cheaper.  Lets not forget shopping for clothing.  Same climate all year long..')  jose

Those numbers are great Adlin.
I did not mentioned the use of LED since any savings would apply to the states and PR the same way. I simply assumed that what ever lighting they used would be the same in both places.

Sitka wrote:

Rey,

Excellent information!   What is the minimum wind threshold for power generation by wind?

Rey is very close with his numbers. I have a 5 blade Windmax which produces in a 4mph wind (starts in a 3mph). Loves a 10-12mph. Shuts down after 30mph.
My issue is tree cover and I need a much higher tower... which I won't do.
It's going to my Cousin's place for a better home.

You need the space, requires the open area.
My Windmax is only a 500w unit, you can buy the 1Kw now for what I paid years back.
My home-built 50w flies better, doesn't require as much effort to turn a small wind genie.

In the right spot, right winds, I like wind over solar.
Absolute best, IMHO, Hydro!!! Oh to have a good stream on a hill!!!

What is an Inverter console air conditioner?
Never hear of it and how does it compares with the split unit air conditioners?

ReyP wrote:

What is an Inverter console air conditioner?
Never hear of it and how does it compares with the split unit air conditioners?

Actually hadn't heard of it either and had to look it up.
They say if it's a constant situation, over all more efficient.
They don't stop running, they slow down once temp is reached.

You wish to see something really different, try this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez9xvO7Ke0s
I've known Alan for several years and comes up with some really cool stuff.
Follow his other vid's as he tests & improves it.
Small area air conditioning.

Rey, when you say .23 a Kw currently, are you taking your entire bill and dividing by the Kwhrs used?
That's how I do it here at home and I'm at .18
So you're running about .05 a Kwh higher. Have to say, I expected more than that..

What's your Propane costs down there?
Assuming there is no Natural Gas piping around..

.23 covers the entire cost of the bill just dividing the bill by the KWH used. They have tacked some additional stuff lately that I am not counting but using the Hawaii price is safer.

A tall propane tank fill is about 100 and depending on use you should get 6-9 months out of it if only for cooking. Not allowed in apartments, just houses.

PR has no natural gas

Great information
I am looking to build the house in PR where we will be living 6 months out of the year. My architect suggested vents that remain open 24/7. I don't like the look or the idea of keeping them open all year round especially during rainy season. Her argument is the mold potential
Are there other options besides vents? Split units have dehumidifier in them and if keep them running on low can it be sufficient or it's becoming more expensive then we run ac in the states.
Thank you