Retirement visa, how soon does it need to be used?

I'm planning on getting a retirement visa, but may not be able to leave the US right away.  Does anyone know if there's a time limit by which it needs to be used?

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott
It depends really. But if you are sure that your retirement visa application will be approved soon, I think it's a good idea (because this is what I did) to start processing your other "non-visa-related" requirements (e.g. area where you want to retire, specific place to live, etc.) while waiting for your application. This way, you won't even have to worry about the "validity" period because you can already leave as soon as you can.
Cheers!

I have some loose ends to tie up here in the U.S. before I move.  I have no idea when I'll be through with them.  It could be a month, six months, perhaps longer.  So I'd hate to go through all the work of getting a retirement visa and then have it expire on me before I can get to the Philippines.

hi scott although not an expert have been here a while and still on a tourist visa and its no hassle to come here on the tourist visa and then sort your options here when you arrive
i find immigration very good now under the new administration and know a very good visa lawyer if you need help
regards
phil

Okay, that makes sense.  I'm guessing a tourist visa is pretty quick and easy to get. 

Thanks,
Scott

Hi Scott,

Seeking help from visa consulting firm here in the Philippines to assist you with your concern could be a wise decision to avoid the doing it by yourself. Since they are already experts, they already know the type of requirements needed and the length of the process.

good idea, the Visa game here in the Phils is not very foreigner friendly as they are in ur pocket every minute they can. I never  realized how expensive it is to be in a 3rd world country. We just found that when i reupped my resident visa they guy pocketed my 200usd and put me back on a tourist visa. corrupt and u have to watch ur butt.

Exactly. That is what visa consulting firms are for, to mediate between the applicant and the BI, since they know how precious your time is. I am sorry that you encountered such terrible situation.

MaroBautista wrote:

Hi Scott,

Seeking help from visa consulting firm here in the Philippines to assist you with your concern could be a wise decision to avoid the doing it by yourself. Since they are already experts, they already know the type of requirements needed and the length of the process.

That sounds like VERY good advice.   I'll be sure to do that.

Hi Scott,

Glad I could help you. :) I hope everything will be okay for you.

Regards,
Maro

Not sure I follow some of the things said here. Cost of a visa consulting firm for retirement visa?
The PRA who coordinate all the retirement visas, the people to whom you apply for a retirement visa provide visa consultants. These people are absolute experts in the retirement field. They are paid by PRA but paid by results, i.e. they get a payment for each successful applicant who they help. Hence free to the applicant. I believe there are one or two active on this forum.
I am in the process of applying for a retirement visa and am still living in UK. I found parts of the process a bit confusing and even posted asking advice on here. I then found the details of one of these consultants, she is registered with PRA, suddenly all the process has become easy, she has guided me through all the forms and requirements and has basically taken on all the legwork. I travel back to The Philippines in a month's time (on a tourist visa) have an appointment with her the day after I arrive at the PRA offices when we finalise the application details.

Buzzardman wrote:

Not sure I follow some of the things said here. Cost of a visa consulting firm for retirement visa?
The PRA who coordinate all the retirement visas, the people to whom you apply for a retirement visa provide visa consultants. These people are absolute experts in the retirement field. They are paid by PRA but paid by results, i.e. they get a payment for each successful applicant who they help. Hence free to the applicant. I believe there are one or two active on this forum.
I am in the process of applying for a retirement visa and am still living in UK. I found parts of the process a bit confusing and even posted asking advice on here. I then found the details of one of these consultants, she is registered with PRA, suddenly all the process has become easy, she has guided me through all the forms and requirements and has basically taken on all the legwork. I travel back to The Philippines in a month's time (on a tourist visa) have an appointment with her the day after I arrive at the PRA offices when we finalise the application details.

That is the benefit of having a visa consultant. They will lay out all the requirements that you need and take care of the legwork, it is hassle free on your part since you don't have to be physically be there all through out the process. You just have to pay their professional fee and shoulder the expense of the visa processing itself. But at least you get results.