Citizen in Vietnam

Okay, I am 18 years old from Chicago Illinois, My parents were from Da Nang Vietnam and moved to the United States around The 1980's. I fell in love with my homeland Da Nang, I have all my family members there and it really hurts me everyday not being near my family. Of Course that is not a justified reason to just get up in move to Vietnam, but if there is any job opportunites that Vietnam offers or any working abroad offerings there are I will gladly take it. I know I'm young but Im already starting to think about Working in Vietnam, maybe living there but first off I have questions, like Does anyone know what are the Requirments to become a permenant Vietnamese Citizen? I am not sure where my life is going but it feels like Vietnam has stoled my heart and kept it, it hasnt been the same after I left my family to go back to the states, but maybe when I am in Retirment I would move there, but who knows. Anyways if anyone knows the answer for the requirments to live in Vietnam would be great. Thanks and have a great day in Vietnam:)

Kenny Nguyen

Kenny,you can get tourist visas easily for 3mth and renew for up to 12 months. resident permits 1yr to 5 yr normally requires having a business here, being married to local Vietnamese lady, or having parent who is Vietnamese. If you establish a business here you can be issued a genuine Vietnamese passport in 6 months if you want to be more permanent than a residence permit. To work here you need University degree and work permit.

My parents r Vietnamese, my dad left Vietnam on a boat during the boat and I believe he then got his citizenship for the u.s. But is he still considered to be Vietnamese? I mean he left vietnam so would they consider a viet or no? Thanks again

Hi Kenny
My name is Steve from Taiwan , running the trading cpmpamy in Vietnam,(moderated: no free ads please) and also have a language center (English)in Hai Phong, so if you are interested about working in Vietnam, contact with me [email protected]

KennyNguyen wrote:

My parents r Vietnamese, my dad left Vietnam on a boat during the boat and I believe he then got his citizenship for the u.s. But is he still considered to be Vietnamese? I mean he left vietnam so would they consider a viet or no? Thanks again

Hallo Kenny, what's your Vietnamese name? In my opinion, your father is still a fully Vietnamese citizen.

you can have dual citizenship in Vietnam. As long as you can prove that you have Vietnamese roots, you can obtain Vietnamese citizenship.

Kenny to start your endevors to return to Vietnam I think this is the best route to begain:

saigoninacup.com/2010/03/25/5-year-visa-exemption/

Good Luck:)

@nobleguy What do you mean by my vietnamese name? I dont think I have one, I was born in chicago. My dad escape during the war to come to america and I believe his Vietnamese name is Dylan Dung Nguyen, is he still considered a citizen after he escaped?

@upsidedown, What are some documents I need to prove my parents Vietnamese Roots? They escaped during the war but i dont know if they still have any documents. But I do have family in vn can I use their documentS? like my grandma and grandpa, aunts and uncles?