Social scene in budapest

Hi there
I am looking to find a social scene in budapest as I have just arrived. Any ideas?

Well, it might be helpful if we had a idea about your age and interests.

There is a nice social scene over at the Budapest Opera.

But if you prefer Lordi more than Liszt, then as Marilyn said, you do need to give a little more details of your interests.  :)

Hi marilyn,

Now that makes sense. I am 42 but a very young 42. I am looking to make friends so I can share life in Budapest. I enjoy dinning out or in, dancing, walking, music, films, coffee and chats..... you name it and I will be happy to try it. I thought there might be an expat social scene that everyone could hook up too. I know how difficult it can be to settle in a city without those kind of conections. I am an international school teacher and normally I am part of a group of newbies when going to new jobs. This time I came independently. I hope to make sure that I love this city and make the most of all my time. I would love to go to the fireworks with people but nobody to go with. I know sounds like poor me story but I know there will be others.

Anne

Not sure exactly what advice I can give you in the way of meeting new friends.
I am a very, very young 62 year old married lady. Actually a very, very immature 62 year old.
I did meet a few very nice HU ladies at a gym I used to go to. The only thing was the ladies in my age group didn't speak English so I made friends with a couple of ladies that were too young for me, at least 20 years my jr.
They were also single ladies so that was another issue. We had them over for dinner a few times, went to their homes for dinner and drinks a few times but then I realized their lifestyles were too different then mine, the age  thing was not that big of a deal.
One has since married and had a baby and the other was on the "gay" side? At least that's the vibe my husband picked up on when she brought her GF to my home, no judgement there but like I said the lifestyle was too different. Couldn't exactly see where that friendship would be going.
My single sister had many gay friends of both sexes though she was straight. It lead to a few problems when one lady took a shine to her too much.
I would think when the weather gets better you will find more people outside at the park and in the 5th district area, walking around, hard sometimes though because that area also has allot of tourists who will be leaving town.
I imagine you will slowly meet new friends though your job.
There is a ex-pat meeting club, forgot exactly what it is called, will post when it comes to me.
I met a American lady who happened to be like me in many ways , she was younger but she was married to a HU like I am, had children, didn't speak much Hungarian ,was a hairdresser like me and also raised in Cal. like me.
Sad, she moved out of Hungary. We met for coffee a few times but she left soon after meeting her.
We met at a large grocery store and exchanged phone numbers.
Have to be open but also remember most Hungarians are a bit guarded and it can be hard to get to know them fast.
If you like sports, I know many people do jog at Margaret Island , they also have a few swimming pools there as well.
I also ran into a fellow American women a few years back who has lived in HU for now over 15 years. She was much younger then me too. Met her while she was dog walking her dane.
It is easy for me to meet people, I often have to check myself not to be overly friendly as it doesn't fit in my lifestyle these days, retired with a husband who likes be alone allot with just me, simple and quite no drama.
I would say be friendly at work, let people know you are open to meet interesting nice people who have some of the same interests you have.
Going to ruin bars and drinking can be fun but I seriously doubt you will meet  anyone who doesn't have an issue or two. I know, had a single sister who made bar friends...
Look online for ex-pat clubs.
When the weather gets warmer there will be tons of people out and about the city. Maybe buy a bicycle and ride?
Maybe another ex-pat on this site will be game for a walk and talk?

Sadly, the active attempts at organizing social events here at this forum was given up a few years ago. Mainly, it seemed, because few people showed up (despite claims here they would make an appearance). Saying one will come, then not, seems to be an oddly Hungarian thing, even among Expats.

I might suggest directly messaging (private message) people here you may want to contact (as per their similar interests at their profile, et al.) as determined at this site's social network page:

Hungary in general:
https://www.expat.com/en/network/europe/hungary/

Those in or around Budapest:
https://www.expat.com/en/network/europe … /budapest/

Hi there,

Thanks for all your ideas and info. I know it is going to take time an patience. Hopefully the school have some people like me in similar circumstances. I also think I might try to break into the other international school teachers list. I am actually very use to having to go out and make it work. I see there are some meet up groups and internations is a good site too. I know there are fellow struggles like me but they do a really good job of hiding. I do think I will meet people slowly. I just want to make it happen too fast. I just came from munich and was living in a country farmhouse with 30 long stay guests. 30 all nationals for Christmas dinner. I called us the UN .Just hard to accept isolation again. Thanks for your support. By the way, one of my best friends is 73 and she acts younger than me. Ha ha ha. She still does festival camping with me.

Thanks

Anne

Hi Klsalle,

Thanks for your kind reply. I have lived many places and know how difficult this stuff can be. I think looking at all international teaching staff is a good option. I already messaged a girl from the site and we are in touch and talking about forming a group of expat people that Need connection. The websites you gave me are a good help too. I am prepared to work at it as work is only one aspect of why I am here. I came to experience budapest.
Thanks again for your support. I appreciate it.

Anne