Schools in GOZO

Good morning  :)

I'm looking for some feedback on good English schools in GOZO for my 9 year old son.
My family and I have lived in the UK for 15 years but live in Bournemouth, UK currently and we are looking to move to Gozo next year.
I have my sister and her family already living in Malta but they can't give me any advice on schools for Gozo. I have fallen in love with the island and coming from Durban, South Africa the relaxed vibe is just what I yearn for.
I was looking at Victoria School known as the 'happy school'... what is everyone's thoughts on the school and the secondary school highly recommended for boys.

Look forward to the advice.

Kind regards
Janine Hornby

Hi
Did you have any luck finding a school on Gozo? We are in the same boat as you! 9 year old son.

Thanks

Lisa

Hi all, i am also interested in information on Gozo state schools. Can anyone share some info?

What do you think of Our Happy School in Victoria?
Is it only english?
Are there any sate schools that teach only english?
What about a good english private school?

thanks,
Jeff

jjslee wrote:

Hi all, i am also interested in information on Gozo state schools. Can anyone share some info?

Is it only english?

thanks,
Jeff

Being retired I have not had anything to do with schools but saying that I have read about the Happy School and how good it is, all the villages have schools for younger children so a lot depends on where you live.   All the schools teach in English as well as Maltese, I don't know of a private school on Gozo.
Hope this helps and hopefully someone with more experience of schools on Gozo can help more.

Hi all  :cheers:

I am in the same boat as many of you, the shear frustration of getting reliable information about the different schools for our kids..
I have spent several hours researching this forum (great forum, mods,  :top: ) despite that fact I still have not come any closer to finding the right info.,
So I started a thread called "State schools in Malta and Gozo" under sub section: Schools & studies.

We are moving to Gozo, so schools in Gozo is relevant to us..,
But then  after reading so many different post of peeps asking for help and advice, I felt it was the right thing to do to also include info about the school on the mainland as well..

Have a nice day one and all..
Aka Tommy

jjslee wrote:

Is it only english?

thanks,
Jeff

Can you tell the forum why you expect state schools in Malta should only teach in English?

Should state schools in the UK only teach in Maltese?

Here the first language is Malti the second official language is English!

Ray

SingelDadGoingGozo wrote:

I am in the same boat as many of you, the shear frustration of getting reliable information about the different schools for our kids..
I have spent several hours researching this forum (great forum, mods,  :top: ) despite that fact I still have not come any closer to finding the right info.,
So I started a thread called "State schools in Malta and Gozo" under sub section: Schools & studies.

But then  after reading so many different post of peeps asking for help and advice, I felt it was the right thing to do to also include info about the school on the mainland as well..

Aka Tommy

If you don't think the information given on by members on this forum is reliable, why start another topic? Is that going to make the information more reliable.

You could of course try contacting the Education Ministry, or the schools or use Google and find the information yourself, that might be more reliable!
If your son is 16 then you will most likely need to look at Mcast and the University system, not the state schools.

Ray

Aka Tommy

Have you ever visited Gozo and Malta?   You may be surprised at just how small the islands are especially Gozo and that is why there may not be the choice of educational establishments you expect.
A teenager may find it quite boring on Gozo as there is not a lot for them to do.  I assume you will be working on one of the islands.

Aka Tommy

Hi,

there is almost a government primary school in each village, they consist of Kinder (3-5) then years 5-11. In Victoria, there is one government middle school (11-13) and a secondary school (13-16.) They all go under a central college. You need to contact Gozo College.
I notice you say you are a single dad. In order to start school, you will have to go to the courts here and state your case as to why the mother can not be here to sign the registration, this costs around 400 euro. You will also need full custody for their residency.

Hope this helps

F0xgl0ve wrote:

If you don't think the information given on by members on this forum is reliable, why start another topic? Is that going to make the information more reliable.

You could of course try contacting the Education Ministry, or the schools or use Google and find the information yourself, that might be more reliable!
If your son is 16 then you will most likely need to look at Mcast and the University system, not the state schools.

Ray

G´day Ray,
Thank you for your insightful input..
When I mentioned the unreliability of some sources I was in no way insinuating and pointing my finger at Expat.com but rather "google" and many other sources available on the net, that only provide some info or pure speculation, guess work and people assuming this or that.. instead of hard cold facts..
(As my old teacher used to say,, -Never assume something, because you make an Ass/U/me
Reason for starting a new thread.. is to try and help others and not just myself to gather reliable information..
Not saying that the info here isn't reliable at all..  ( If it was unreliable, I would not have joined this forum) ( I have looked and researched many other forums about Malta and found this one to be to my liking)
Now the only thing I haven't done yet is contact The Ministry of Education.. so thanks for the helpful tip.. and have a nice day. :)
Btw, I have a daughter not a son  :)
Have a nice day and enjoy, all the best.. if you have more useful information, please feel free to help make a comprehensive and complete guide to help others.. Thank you
Aka Tommy

GozoMo[ wrote:

Have you ever visited Gozo and Malta?   You may be surprised at just how small the islands are especially Gozo and that is why there may not be the choice of educational establishments you expect.
A teenager may find it quite boring on Gozo as there is not a lot for them to do.  I assume you will be working on one of the islands.

Thank you GozoMo,, very helpful..
In Australia our closest neighbour was 34km away, shops where 80km and the school was 40km away..
Now in Sweden we live in the country, our little village consists of 12 houses, so we have grown accustomed to that lifestyle,, life is what you make of it,, Gozo has so much to offer that we are looking for.,   
Thank you again for the info

coxf0001 wrote:

I notice you say you are a single dad. In order to start school, you will have to go to the courts here and state your case as to why the mother can not be here to sign the registration, this costs around 400 euro. You will also need full custody for their residency.

Hope this helps

Hi,
Yes, thank you, very helpful..

This does raise a question or two  :offtopic: not for this thread really, so hoping someone can IM me or point me in the right direction where to get more info about just that..
(My daughter lives with me full time, her mother lives on an island outside of Australia, we have joined custody, is it possible that any papers that need to be signed by both parents can, be done by post?)
All the best and be blessed.
Aka Tommy

Hi Ray,
I would love to reply to you. First of all Malta is beautiful, the people friendly and we really enjoyed our time spent on Gozo. Next point, i will need you to think a bit broader on this, while i appreciate a country with multiple official languages (my Country has French & English), one should still have a choice to choose. I am ok with maltese taught as a language course but not as an immersion. Please understand i mean no offence to your beautiful country.
Jeff