What is my rights being married in Norway

Hello I am new here. I found this site through google. I am currently living here in Norway just married this year through fiancee visa.
I need an advice me and my husband are facing big problem between our relationship as a couple. We are not yet one year married but now i found out he have another woman he is chatting with and found out he send money to this woman every week. I cannot continue with this kind of relationship because i am serious when i am married him and give my love and trust without any hesitation and now i found out this. All of a sudden it's ruiened. I want to give him another chance but I need to know who is it and i must know if it realy stop because i will not continue if he have another person in his mind and he must stop whatever he is doing but he dont have plan to stop it talk about it and in fact he is willing to separate or divorce me.  I want to know what will i do now? What is my rights as his wife? I like to continue my study here in norway (norskkurs) and find job after that. Please tell me what will i do or i realy need to go home in Philippines since my happy family dream will never happened here in norway. But i like norway and i want to live here for good.

Please help

Is your residence based on family unification and sponsor is your husband?   Once you are divorced from him,  you lost your residence permit if it is based on family unification with him.   There are exceptions cases but I heard mostly due to abuse.   There is no more student visa based on norskkurs.

Shirley40 wrote:

Hello I am new here. I found this site through google. I am currently living here in Norway just married this year through fiancee visa.
I need an advice me and my husband are facing big problem between our relationship as a couple. We are not yet one year married but now i found out he have another woman he is chatting with and found out he send money to this woman every week. I cannot continue with this kind of relationship because i am serious when i am married him and give my love and trust without any hesitation and now i found out this. All of a sudden it's ruiened. I want to give him another chance but I need to know who is it and i must know if it realy stop because i will not continue if he have another person in his mind and he must stop whatever he is doing but he dont have plan to stop it talk about it and in fact he is willing to separate or divorce me.  I want to know what will i do now? What is my rights as his wife? I like to continue my study here in norway (norskkurs) and find job after that. Please tell me what will i do or i realy need to go home in Philippines since my happy family dream will never happened here in norway. But i like norway and i want to live here for good.

Please help

There is program for " Residence permit for victims of abuse" but I'm not sure whether you fulfill the criteria.

https://www.udi.no/en/want-to-apply/res … -of-abuse/

Hei Everyone,
                         found out this site on google, am new in Norway and have been living here for one year as a student. my girlfriend and I are planing to get married in Denmark. i am wondering will the authorities ask her income level even though am in Norway an have my source of living when applying for family immigration?
she is a Norwegian by nationality and am from Africa. secondly i would like to know about the what if scenarios: what happend if for some reason we happens to divorce will i continue with my student status? or have to leave the country? we are currently not living together, as i live in Oslo where my university and part time jobs are and she is in Bergen ( we are always together though ) because im always with her in Bergen specially on holidays. we plan that i will move to her place once i finish my studies,  will this be a problem with the UDI that we are not under one roof as married couples though having a join address? is the processing time from withing same as when applied from outside ?
in advance thank you for your idea.

If you managed to get family unification with your sponsor being your wife, your residency will get revoked once there is a divorce.  UNLESS there is grounds of abuse from your wife to you etc.

You mentioned that you are studying in Norway and earning money, why can't you apply for skilled worker permit?  It is quite important to get your first residency right because the language hours requirements between skilled worker and family unification is a big difference (if you do not wish to pass the test for exemption) for permanent residency application.

Hi fornight, thanks for the reply. I clearly understood the first part of your reply but not the second part. How can I apply for skill worker permit? Am just studying at bachelor program and doing odd jobs on part time basis like other students. Is it possible to do this ? I thought in case of divorce my student status that am currently holding will be retain if am still in studies , isn't that how it works?

Pappy 20 wrote:

Hi fornight, thanks for the reply. I clearly understood the first part of your reply but not the second part. How can I apply for skill worker permit? Am just studying at bachelor program and doing odd jobs on part time basis like other students. Is it possible to do this ? I thought in case of divorce my student status that am currently holding will be retain if am still in studies , isn't that how it works?

What is your residency now for staying in Norway?  Once you get your bachelor degree, you will be looking for a job right?  As long as you find a job, you can use it to apply for skilled worker permit.

https://www.udi.no/en/want-to-apply/wor … d-workers/

You can refer to above link to find out the requirement to apply for skilled wokers.  Then again, note that if you lose your job, you have 3 months to find a new job, otherwise you will have to leave the country.

A person cannot have two residency permits.  So you have student visa now..but if you apply Family unification and got it approved, you are now under family unification and your stay will be based on family unification rules. 

Since you already have student visa, juts hold on to it until it is absolutely necessary to apply for family unification.  If you are divorce from your wife, it has nothing to do with your student visa.  BUT if you lost your privilege to study in Norway, then it is a different story.

I was married for 3 years, before i applied for family unification.  I was holding skilled worker visa before it.

Processing time for family unification seem to vary depending on which country you are from as well as your qualification and ability to support yourself in Norway.   I am from Singapore and holding a job in Norway.  My family unification application takes less than 4 months.  I heard it is the same for applicants from Canada and USA.

But I also heard the people from other countries, their applications takes as long as 1 year or some longer.  It might be that their cases are complicated and needed more time to process.

Thanks again For night. You explain it explicitly. Well understood. The reason why I thought of changing  from student  for a family resident is for me to have more possibility to work and support my wife to be  She also have a child in her past married and as you know my expenses as a single person is different from when I will be married so just wanted the opportunity that I can work hard to support her, myself and her child as we will become one family and under the student visa I have very limited time of working by law.  I hope the will be no divorce though, but as every divorce people no one ever enters and think there will ever separate but it finally happens that's why I have to think of the good and also be aware that bad might come in too.
Just a quick question is it possible to swap from family permit to skilled workers permit ?

yes, it is of course possible to switch from family unification to skilled worker permit.  Just note that such application will be a new application and not a renewal.  Renewal application fee is generally cheaper than new application.

I have a friend who was originally married to a norwegian, thus she was on family unification at first.  She had a good job at that time and then she had a divorce.  She had to quickly apply for a skilled worker permit to stay in Norway and her job.  She has no kid.   Processing time for skilled worker permit is very fast as long as you have a job offer.  It generally only takes 10 working days after submission of documents.

Her case was the reason why I kept my skilled worker permit even though I was married.  It was a good advice until the economy of Norway started to go downhill.  Skilled worker permit holder has very little protection or benefits from NAV if the job is lost.

Hi For night, do you know of any good immigration lawyer in Oslo? Have some issues with the renewal of my study permit.

Sorry, I don't know any immigration lawyer