Planning to move to Vienna

Hi Guys

I'm a french guy living in Ireland since about 4 years now.

I intend to move to Vienna sometimes this year to join my girlfriend over there. I shall be able to relocate via work.

Does anybody know what are the administrative processes to go through to settle down there? Social security? what do you need to provide to open a bank account etc...? Basically all the basic stuff you have to accomplish first when you arrive as a UE citizen.

I would appreciate if anybody can outline what this process is or can point me to any valuable resource summarizing what needs to be done.

Many Thanks in Advance

Hello moutaye ;)

Your discussion has been redirected to the Vienna forum for effective networking.

Warm Regards

I don't think ou need to do much at all as a EU citizen, you just need to register at the adress where you live at the Meldeamt (guess your girlfriend can help you with that). If you have an adress in Austria I don't think you need much more except your passport in order to open a bank account. If you are from outside the Eu it gets complicated..

Good luck and welcome to a great city!
wien.gv.at is a good page (in english too)

Many thanks for the info Mimie.

Actually my girlfriend is in Slovakia so not yet settled in Austria.

Is it a case that you need an address first to trigger everything?

In Ireland, one of the issue is a catch 22: e.g. you need a bank account to get a flat but you need an address to get a bank account. :) Can you encounter the same sort of bureaucratic mess in Vienna or is there a perception that bureaucracy is basically made easier in Ausitra?

As soon as you have an appartment and a lease, you need to go to the Meldeamt (that is the place where you register your address), they will give you a Meldezettel (A document that says that you have moved here from Ireland and confirm your viennese adress). The Meldezettel is needed for a lot of things, from starting an account to getting a membership at the local video rental place.

When you register at the Meldeamt, the form must be signed by your landlord, confirming that you are leaving at this adress.

I am not sure if you can get an account without an adress, but it shouldn't be a problem to rent an appartment from a private person (very common here). As I said, being a EU citizen, it makes everything easier.

But one thing is for sure: Austria loves bureaucracy, so bring some strong nerves :)

That's great information Mimie. Many Thanks for taking the time to answer.

De rien :)

Good luck!