Arecibo Observatory

I'm coming down in March and east coast is my main area to walk-about and learn.
But, if going.. This is a must see for me.

I've located it and see I'm looking at about a 3hr drive from the east coast. Then I see the tours there are not consistent.. They're not always open to the public.
There are tours offered coming out of San Juan, but really, why buy that tour?

Who's been? What can I expect? What would you recommend?

No tour needed, you pay to park and pay to enter, there's a small animal farm, and  aquarium, all open to the public, there's also a snack shack.

I am planning to visit the obervatory soon.  The web site has a phone # to call, they will give you current info about visiting hours. (seems to vary)

The Arecibo Observatory is rather famous and has been use for a few Hollywood movies  -  the James Bond film "Golden Eye"  was shot there I think.

Oops sorry I was describing the lighthouse, been to the big dish also, but a while ago, nice drive in the country, there's a gift shop and a cool education center with science displays.

Hey olddawgrule,
  I've visited many times taking friends and family when I happen to be out there.  I was last there Feb 2016.  It has been updated some after new management and private funds.. It's a Must-See if anythng for the simple fact there only 2 in existence.  One being somewhere in South America and ours In Puerto Rico.  Nice experience and view, hands-on activities inside an history video in English or Spanish before going outside to see up close.  Closed on Mondays, hrs. 9-4pm.  $12 adults, $8 seniors and not sure of children..discount for students with school Id cards.  Worth a visit and while you are in the area divide the day in 1/2 and go up further 10-15mis drive to The Cavernas de Camuy.. Awesome experience if you like caves..jose

I have read that funding is getting cut?

Just a follow up to Spencerazac with The Arecibo Lighthouse Observatory spot, it's nice to check out too, but more exciting if you're bringing young kids.. A splish splash water park added to premises along with animal farm, aguarium and snack shack.. Call ahead to see if reopened, due to closure to owing back taxes.. Sure it will reopen, usually have mediocre crowds from local school, daycare and tourist visitors.  Price was bwtween $10-14 and parking $3.. Jose

They recently re-opened the visitors center at Arecibo. I have not been there yet but I have been told that you probably would want to plan to combine this visit with another activity on the same day. If you have a car, you should not waste time signing up for a tour.

JoseTosa wrote:

Hey olddawgrule,
  I've visited many times taking friends and family when I happen to be out there.  I was last there Feb 2016.  It has been updated some after new management and private funds.. It's a Must-See if anythng for the simple fact there only 2 in existence.  One being somewhere in South America and ours In Puerto Rico.  Nice experience and view, hands-on activities inside an history video in English or Spanish before going outside to see up close.  Closed on Mondays, hrs. 9-4pm.  $12 adults, $8 seniors and not sure of children..discount for students with school Id cards.  Worth a visit and while you are in the area divide the day in 1/2 and go up further 10-15mis drive to The Cavernas de Camuy.. Awesome experience if you like caves..jose

I also read about the caves! Didn't know they were the close.
Thank you Jose!

Hi olddawgrule,
  The distance between both locations from main road is more like 20 mins. Then turn into connecting road to the Arecibo Observatory, signs are visible telling you the direction to get there. Will check my notes to the exact connecting road number.  Do the Observatory in the AM then drive back #129 to The Cavernas De Camuy from Noon to 4pm ; Last entry for tour to end by 5ish. Site closes if rain occurs due to wetness on smooth cave walkways. Camuy known to shower at any time early mornings so better chance of getting in afternoons. Especially if cloudy out, just go to Observatory first. Autopista #22 to Arecibo, exit 77B I believe; signs on expressway showing both Tourist attractions on same exit. Give me a call in March if you're definitely going we(my wife &I) might join you. Always something new especially in the Cavernas due to natural formations. Never get tired of it.. Merry Christmas and safe travels. Jose

I may just take you up on the Jose! That would be really cool!

As I get closer to the dates I'll PM you.

The caves are very close to the observatory. I saw a river and mountaineering group coming out of the river near the entrance of the observatory and asked where they were coming from and it was the Camuy caves and rivers. There are private areas of the caves that I believe can only be accessed with these adventure tour companies.

I was there between Xmas and NYE and the observatory was open and packed. Keep in mind if it is packed, you have to park a bit aways, and there is a very steep grade you have to walk. They do provide a ride to the top for older folks. I made the mistake of lugging my 50 pound backpack with me. Not fun.

$12 a head, whoa! glad I read your post.

The lighthouse was definitely not worth the money. It reminded me of old state fair grounds, very old and decrepit. I'm sure it was really nice when it was new. Most of the lighthouse is off limits and there were a few Spanish trinkets on display.

Did this weekend before last after checking out Cueva Ventana (now this is worth the money), but a little pricier if you don't have a PR ID.