Living in Mexico

You are living in Mexico, or you used to live in Mexico.

Share your experience!

How would you describe life in Mexico?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find an accommodation and a job?

Is it complicated to make friends in Mexico?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Mexico?

Thanks in advance for your participation

For anyone that is the least bit adventerous, I highly recommend you trying the experience. If you are not well versed in spanish I recommend an area where there are americans so the locals will speak a little english. I have lived here 20 years and have no urge to return to the US. It does have itŽs ups and downs. Once you get accoustomed to the slow rate of which things happen here and can adjust, life here seems so much fuller. Here time is life and in the US time is money, a very big difference. If you really wnat to make the good money you must own your own business if you donŽt sell timeshare or Real estate. The other jobs do not pay the amount money you will need to live on. If you would like to move here my company has openings for several experienced real estate agents in our REMAX Agency. Give me an email at [email protected].

Good Luck
RJ

Expat.com wrote:

You are living in Mexico, or you used to live in Mexico.

Hi we are a Dutch Couple living in Merida Yucatan, Mexico since 2005
Share your experience!

How would you describe life in Mexico?

Life here for us is perfect, we looked in to several option before moving to Merida, and here we fing everything we want.

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find an accommodation and a job?

We really did our homework before moving, we spend vacation time every year for 7 years in Mexico before moving. we decided to start a business (not real state), so we did it in 2007 and is going well, now we are starting a new one.
Is it complicated to make friends in Mexico?

We speak spanish and this had made a big difference, we find yucatecans very curios about us, and they feel proud when we said we love Merida as much as they do. They really appreciate that beacause they are really proud of they city.

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Mexico?

Do it, you wont regreat. But find a place that suts your life style, and do not stick with foreigers, if you are planing to live in Mexico, blend with the people, enjoy what the countrie has to offer, do not pretend to be alway a foreinger.

For more information about Yucatan check this out.

www.yucatantoday.comwww.yucatan/travel/enwww.marthastewart.com šMartha in Mexicoš Show 02.Jan.2009

If you would like to receive more information or free advise contact us. Greetings from Merida.
Thanks in advance for your participation

As to slow Mexicans: it took 1 hour to get a GSM cell phone chip with a talk credit equal to the chip cost (Telmex) and less than one hour for it to become operational. People who have jobs and need to start on time - do! It depends on competition and circumstances. If your car is in the repair shop you are at a disadvantage. If you buy a car you are better attended.

Internet access is pretty much available in all but the smallest or remotest towns in Mexico.  Cities of 100,000 or more will have internet cafes conveniently located in downtown and hotels and hostels with internet are not hard to find.  Starbucks and Italian Coffee have a good number of stores in Mexico amd other restaurants and cafes offer free wi-fi.

One problem I had was that some US sites like LinkedIn.com and Hulu.com are blocked either by the site itself or by the Mexican Internet Service Provider (might be on purpose or technical problem).  A way around that is to use a VPN connection either through a friend's server or signing up with a VPN service provider in the US.  That will give you a US IP address and bypass the website's blocking of foreign addresses and/or Mexico's blocking of certain websites.

Just Google "VPN service providers list" without the quotes.

@gudgrief:

The best VPN service provider I know of is Connect In Private. Their servers are in Canada, but that should still work if you are in Mexico.