Planning to visit Thailand in May - June 2017

Hi everyone. I have been planning to visit Thailand or Indonesia and I think I will make it happen sometime in May or June next year.

Can anyone at least give me an insight/tips on how much I would spend if I go there with my son, where to stay, where to go and what are the precautions to take for a 3-day relaxation? I'm a bit hesitant because I don't have any friends in Thailand or don't know anyone from there but I know one or two friends from Indonesia. So I'm like torn whether I should visit Thailand or Indonesia  :)

Any advice will be appreciated.

I am in Chiang Mai Thailand. One place you could check out is Chiang Mai Expats Club or CEC.com. Another could be chiangmaiambossodor.com. You could also look up Meet Up for in and around activities. May and June might be on the hot side. Hua Huin seems to be a popular place that is reasonably prices and is a beach community. From what I hear Phuket is beautiful but expensive. Chiang Mai is friendly with about 30,000 expats living here. So if you stay in the core city you really don't have to speak Thai.
That's a start.

Thanks @ Bill🙂

You're welcome.

You might try looking at agoda.com for accommodations. Last I looked you could find a back packers guest house, possibly dormitory style, for as little as $8 a night. I wouldn't, personally, recommend that. But you can find some decent one's in the $12 plus range that are of course a little better. You can get a nice place for $20 - $40 a night. You might book a place for a few nights or week and look around for something better, if you wanted to. If you find a place within the inner city most everything you will need will be within walking distance or a short ride away. Motor bikes are readily available (my choice is Mango) but driving in the city on a motor bike can be very risky, if you're not used to driving one (125 cc). This is all relative to Chiang Mai.
Enjoy

Thanks for the infos Bill. I wouldn't want an expensive accomodation so long as the place is safe 😊

Agoda has a very extensive list of accommodations, for less then 30 days. You should be able to find what ever you need with that site. Both from myself and others that I've talked to they are a reputable company. I believe they have listings for much of Asia and maybe other parts of the world. Happy hunting.

There are times when you should exercise caution. But for the most part Chiang Mai and many places are safe, After all The Thai's Have to protect their tourist business because there is so much money involved. I would say - stay away from Pattaya. It's a pretty beach area but lots of crime and corruption, and a large sex trade in the area.
Again, the Thai people are very good and caring, but there are always those you need to keep your distance from.

I know it's the same thing I always tell to those who like to visit my country Philippines. Filipinos are very friendly, accommodating and hospitable but in every country, there's good and there's bad so all we have to do is be careful.

So many beautiful beaches in Rayong

Thanks!

Hi -will just 3 days be enough to relax or just a whirlwind of travel? Anyway- another option to have a look at for accomdation is airbnb.There are places found throughout Thailand.

raesum wrote:

Hi -will just 3 days be enough to relax or just a whirlwind of travel? Anyway- another option to have a look at for accomdation is airbnb.There are places found throughout Thailand.

Hi, it's actually just a whirwind of travel  :). I'm still undecided if I should go to Thailand or Malaysia where I know someone.

Thanks for the tip.

Hi Conniesky,

My name is Maribeth, I used to live in Bangkok for 2 years with my husband and we still come here every winter time back home (New York) for 4.5 months. In my opinion you should stay away to Soi Nana and the nearby Soi because those places are not good for kids (red light district). My husband and I live in Sathorn area and it's very quiet because it is their CBD and we love it here! Regarding things to do there are plenty of things to do here in BKK either temples, zoo, waterparks you name it. Transportations are great because there's tuk - tuk similar to tricycle back home (yes Philippines! I'm a Filipino :) ), motorbike, taxis, buses, skytrain and subway. I think you and your kid will like it here in Thailand  :D

Tasteoflifebymb wrote:

Hi Conniesky,

My name is Maribeth, I used to live in Bangkok for 2 years with my husband and we still come here every winter time back home (New York) for 4.5 months. In my opinion you should stay away to Soi Nana and the nearby Soi because those places are not good for kids (red light district). My husband and I live in Sathorn area and it's very quiet because it is their CBD and we love it here! Regarding things to do there are plenty of things to do here in BKK either temples, zoo, waterparks you name it. Transportations are great because there's tuk - tuk similar to tricycle back home (yes Philippines! I'm a Filipino :) ), motorbike, taxis, buses, skytrain and subway. I think you and your kid will like it here in Thailand  :D

Thanks Maribeth! I'll take note of your tips🙂. My son is 17yrs old  but he is a little "childish" so he still appreciates kids' things plus he likes to wander and still loves zoos and amusements.

Take care! Nice to know you're a kabayan🙂

I live in Thailand so I should be pulling for there but Indonesia is nice too.  What you want to see and do should tip the balance.  If you want to spend three days in a city then why not go to Bangkok; it's huge, and there's lots to see and do, and it's not that expensive.  It would seem odd to travel from somewhere else in SE Asia to go to a beach, since those are similar all over the place, but that's one main thing Westerners do in Thailand.

I've only been to Indonesia once and the theme was to see volcanoes, ancient temples, and beaches.  Java island has the most active volcanoes of just about anywhere, in my understanding, although maybe I've got that wrong and they are more dense in other islands in Indonesia.  At any rate we hiked up Bromo (the neighboring volcano, really, it was smoking then and risky) and Ijen, on the far East side.  Covering both in three days would be a bit rough; they're not exactly right beside each other.

Another favorite place for ancient temples is Siem Reap in Cambodia, on a level nowhere else in the world could surpass, although Central America may be on par.  Of course that wasn't part of the question.

Thanks @bbk tea blog. We got so many nice beaches and lovely nature too so maybe I would definitely check out your ancient temples🙂

Ancient temples here are a different thing.  They have some in Ayutayah, just north of Bangkok, but the ones from a different era are more interesting, Sukhothai.  They built around the Ayutayah temples, so plenty are still around, but it's odd how the city is scattered around them now.  Siem Reap (Angkor Wat and such) in Cambodia is completely different, just massive.  Or maybe they're quite the same to anyone that doesn't care for ancient temples, but really they're on a different scale.

So what do you suggest for a quick three-day tour? Of course the not-so-expensive lol😀

sorry I was off this.  I was just walking through the Kao San road area, a back-packer tourist area in Bangkok that I never go to, and it got me to thinking about all the places I don't go here, what I don't experience. 

a site like Trip Advisor would list the top 20 or 50 attractions in Bangkok and those wouldn't necessarily be bad options.  people tend to come to see temples, or maybe muay thai events, some for bars, or tourist theme destinations, a floating market or crocodile / snake farm, or the place with the small scale versions of Thai historical attractions.  nothing wrong with all that.  for shopping options are split between higher end malls or searching out local markets, or Chatuchak market, a large weekend flea-market, or walking around Chinatown (which is old and traditional, not dressed up for tourists).

it can be hard to look at where you live as a tourist.  I took a river ferry yesterday, something I rarely do, and it's funny how that can shift perspective so fast, both being on the water and just being out of the normal track of BTS--skytrain / work / mall / park / grocery store.  Bangkok has a cool feel to it, if someone is fine with urban vacations.  I personally would rather go to see the country, to get away from a city, but then I live here, and I'm from a rural area.