Pet transfer, budapest to ireland

Hi! I'm actually living in Slovakia right now but I'm moving home in June and would like to adopt the cat I have been fostering and bring him home! I have been told my best option is to get to Budapest myself with him and then use a freight transfer company based in Budapest. Does anyone have any experiences transferring any animals from Budapest to Ireland? Thanks so much in advance!

This doesn't answer your question directly, but I'm curious why you wouldn't go directly from Slovakia to Ireland. Why go through Budapest at all?

Please note from the EU website:

For movement between EU countries or from non-EU countries vaccination against rabies documented in the pet passport or the animal health certificate is the sole requirement for dogs, cats and ferrets to travel across EU borders, with certain exceptions.

http://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/pet-movement_en

I was informed by an Irish transfer company that my best option is to go via Budapest, however I'm waiting on a quote from a Slovak company, because obviously, if I can send him direct from Slovakia I'd prefer that. I can get him to Budapest easily enough if needs be though.

And thank you for the extra info, he's already set up with all the necessary pet passport requirements, and I'll get his boosters a few weeks before be travels too :)

Good luck!
:)