Buying a Car?

What are the things one must do to make sure there are no problems with ownership when buying a car in Mexico?

1)   What is the procedure for making sure the car has no debts against it?

2)   Are there any other things that need to be checked for and how do you go about checking them?

Gracias

Go to a reputable car dealer.

anne stromberg wrote:

Go to a reputable car dealer.

How can you tell a reputable car dealer from one that isn't?

I need to know the details so that I can make sure a car dealer or private seller does their due diligence.

Most of the well known dealers ( chevy ford etc) should be able to advise you. They have their reputation and business to protect, plus they know the most current regulations.Some of it would also depend on where you are looking.

There are car auctions, I wouldn't go there but some have. One person who did so, had the car in the shop more than out. Making sure you have a clear title would be an issue. People can do private contracts using a notario ( that's a whole other topic which includes a informal agreement, or a certified agreement ). Then there is the what shape is the car really in part?.  Do you speak Spanish, or have a friend here ?

I bought a new car, because I am well aware what happens here. That way I felt I had a fairly good chance of getting a non abused car. Lot's of potholes and speed bumps here, and some salvage cars were exported from the U.S. Mexico has been dealing with that issue.
This is an old site, but it should still be helpful for you to get the general picture. http://rollybrook.com/buying_a_car.htm

travellight wrote:

Making sure you have a clear title would be an issue.

How do you go about making sure there is clear title? 

When you visit the Transito office to do the transfer, do they do the checking for you or can you ask them to perform the check?

travellight wrote:

Then there is the what shape is the car really in part?.

I know enough that I can do this myself.

travellight wrote:

Do you speak Spanish, or have a friend here ?

I know enough Spanish that this will not be a problem.

travellight wrote:

This is an old site, but it should still be helpful for you to get the general picture. http://rollybrook.com/buying_a_car.htm

Yes, thank you. I found that site sometime ago and it is quite helpful, but lacks some specifics.

while it has been 10 years Katrina cars were shipped to mexico and CA

katzgar wrote:

while it has been 10 years Katrina cars were shipped to mexico and CA

No entiendo.

Nothing, almost nothing, about Katrina cars on the Internet.
Bolivia, yes.  Mexico?
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21847398/ns/w … FibCVUrJUQ

"When you visit the Transito office to do the transfer, do they do the checking for you or can you ask them to perform the check?"

That's where I would start Mike. Every thing seems to vary from place to place. That's why I said it depends on where you are. If you are going to Ensenada or Nogales for instance, you can just drive in with a U.S. car as long as that is the area you plan on being in. Going further triggers an import requirement.
Also rules change  Yes there are basic policies, but there seems to be a lot of flexibility in how those policies are arranged. I encountered that with getting my U.S  car back to the states.  Figure on getting an appointment, also know some will be more helpful than others.  And know things get done face to face here. So make an appointment and go to see them.

Talking to people, and sitting in line is the only way to get anything done in Mexico.  So ask them or a car dealer how to proceed. It takes time but they will tell you how to proceed.

Mexico has stopped allowing regular importations ,  so unless you try to buy a really old car it is unlikely you will get a Katrina dud, In fact Mexico city is cracking down on beaters, so they may be setting a trend. but it sounds like you know cars, so that probably isn't a problem for you.

Mexico has stopped allowing importation of salvage cars for parts there are several circumstances beyond that and which salvage cars can be imported into Mexico

katzgar wrote:

Mexico has stopped allowing importation of salvage cars for parts there are several circumstances beyond that and which salvage cars can be imported into Mexico

What  ? I'm sorry, but I don't understand that at all. perhaps you could clarify.

If your challenging the regular import statement. By that I mean the guys who were bringing in several cars; not people coming from the U.S. to visit and trying to import their personal car.Mexico stopped the used cars from the U.S., some may have been parts cars but not all.

There are several Mexican consulates in the United States that certify cars for importation into Mexico that were salvaged and have been repaired or certified cars that are antique cars and there's one other variable which I can't recall

What is a Katrina car?

refers to a hurricane that hit the new orleans area of the united states.  many flooded cars were sold and shipped down south

Mike,

I did talk with a friend who is a native , and he said that yes Transito will be checking the title. He bought a car from a friend who he knew took good care of the car.

I bought new, because I hear them rev their engines and watch the casual speed over the baches and topes. To many, El Límite de velocidad is just an optional rough lower limit.   So if you know someone who has a good car they are selling you should be fine. Otherwise the buyer should be very aware. Check it your self then have someone check it again with an eye to how things are done here.. Since the restricted imports used cars are not as available.

Buena suerte :)

If you're going to buy a used car, go to a dealership that sells "pre-owned" vehicles. It likely will cost a little more, but you'll almost certainly get a reliable car, and it may even have a limited warranty. I wouldn't buy a used car any other way in Mexico.