Southern girl from the US dating a native Kenyan

I am in need of advice

I am 43 years old and a mother of 2 children.  A year and a half ago I met my boyfriend...a native of Kenya but has lived in the US for the past 20 years and is a citizen of the US.  He has no children.  In the last 6 months he has lost both of his parents and his uncles have named him the head of his family and they are expecting him to take over.  He is in the US military and has no plans yet to move back to Kenya.  His family knows of me and my children but he has told me they are expecting a child from us...I am no longer able to have children and he has no desire at this time in his life to have a child of his own.  He loves my children and they adore him.  I am looking for advice and guidance on how to handle all these changes...he brought me to Kenya 4 months after we started dating to meet his mom...she was very ill...his parents and sisters have accepted me and I care for them very much.  I have been told this is a big deal...his sisters told me he has never brought anyone home before...and he was married previously and no one from his family ever met the woman.

In my opinion, there can often be a generational clash between older (more traditional) family members and younger (more westernised) people.  From what you say, I am guessing that he is the first born (oldest) child, in which case he will assume the mantle of family head, if his parents have died.  My wife is Kikuyu and is first born and also nominally the head of the family, as her father has died, but is hasn't really affected our lives at all. 

A first born male is, however more significant that a first born female and I imagine that some relatives would be expecting a child to continue the family line. 

I think it all hinges on your partners attitude to tradition.  I know of quite a few Kenyans who have lived overseas, who find that the demands and pressures from family too irritating - very often there may be an assumption that those family members who live in the west are loaded with money and they are looked to to sort out all the family problems - and they sometimes wind up cutting themselves off completely.

I think that the problems might start of your partner wants to return to Kenya and live there.  Its far more difficult to ignore the family, once you are here!!

You did not say which part of Kenya your boyfriend comes from. If he is male, having a first born especially a boy is a big deal. I suggest you talk to him and find out...
If he loves you and he is honest it will work out but polygamy is allowed here and I know of cases similar to yours where the guy just went ahead and married a Kenyan from his tribe and had children (without the expat wife knowing) and his family supported him!!