Coffee in PR - Tours and farm info?

We love Puerto Rico coffee.  I think it is great, in fact, just poured a cup of Yaucano for my AM fix. 

Anyone here have experience or knowledge of PR coffee plantations or farms?  We would love to explore some of the PR farms and buy great coffee.   My on-line research has produced some limited info on this, but when we call the farms to schedule a trip, they often are not open, don't answer or for various reasons we do not connect.  (why is that not a surprise in PR?)

In some areas, like Hawaii, the coffee industry is trying to reinvent itself by marketing coffee like vintage wine.  The beans are graded and roasted to specific standards and are sold at rather steep prices for gourmet quality.   Perhaps the coffee industry in PR can do similar?  A top quality organic coffee would sell well in the US.

What are the best coffees in PR?  Where do you purchase?  Best prices?  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I visited a toured a privately owned coffee farm.  If he has another barbecue this summer I will let you know.  You can get purchase fresh roasted coffee at 787coffee.com. My neighbor loves the coffee from Lares but I have not had this yet.  My everyday coffee is Yaucono.

Frogrock,

Thanks,  looking forward to the visit!   The farm in Maricao looks interesting.

We usually buy the Yaucono as well.

I proudly drank Yaucono coffee, too. Until a Puerto Rican friend pointed out that Yaucono isn't actually Puerto Rican! She sent me a graphic that shows the coffee brands that are grown in Puerto Rico, but I can't figure out how to attach it, so I'll write it for you, just in case you are looking for 100% Puerto Rican coffee.

Rioja, Alto Grande, Crema, Cafe Rico, Yaucono and Adjuntas brands are not 100%  Puerto Rican.

These coffees are listed as 100% Puerto Rican: Cafe Altura, Cafe Las Marias, Cafe Florinata, Cafe Cibales, Cafe Loreno, Cafe Hayuya (with an "H"), Cafe Oro, Cafe D'Roui, Mami, Aroma del Cielo.

I verified with Yaucono that it is not 100% Puerto Rican, and I verified that Mami is. But  I have no personal knowledge of the others.

Joy

I think this might be what you have in mind - something like Hacienda San Pedro in Jayuya (https://www.cafehsp.com/pages/hacienda). If you are staying overnight (and you will probably need to as it takes forever to get to Jayuya), you can check out Hacienda Gripiñas (http://haciendagripinas.tripod.com/index.html) a coffee hacienda style Parador.

we loved this place!
www.pomarrosacoffeelodge.com

We recently went to Sandra Farms in Adjuntas  (www.sandrafarms.com) and had a great time. Owners, Israel and Sandra, are very nice and we learned a lot about the coffee making process and had a great cup of 100% Puerto Rican coffee.

I need at least 4 of those coffees Kim. I live off them.

Here are the ones I am aware of thus far. (if I am missing any, please let me know)

Gran Batey (the only one i visited, loved the coffee)
Hacienda Monte Alto
Don Manolo Cafe
Hacienda Palma Escrita
Hacienda Buena Vista
Hacienda Pomarrosa
Hacienda Muñoz
Sandra Farms
Hacienda Gripiñas
Hacienda Tres Ángeles
Hacienda San Pedro
Cafe Lareño
Café el Mañanero (not 100% sure if they give tours)

These don't give tours AFAIK. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Gustos Coffee Company
Mis Abuelos
El Mañanero
Cafe de Puta Madre
Café Cibales
Café Brazo de Oro

Favorite coffee shops (a few here, please add your own)

Cuatros Sombras
Don Ruiz
Friends Cafe
Hacienda Isabel

There's also the Museum of Coffee in Ciales (Museo del Café) and the  Festival del Acabe del Café in February and the Festival del Café in late Feb/early March.

Cheers!