Moving to Puerto Rico January 2017 :NEED HELP:

Hello!
I am new to this Forum! I usually don't do this kind of thing but after a long battle with where to end up in this World, we have finally narrowed it down to Puerto Rico.
However, I do have some insecurities about the current situation on the ground there.
Let me tell you about our situation, my Wife and I are US Citizens knowing very little Spanish. I am in my late 20s and she is in her early 30s. We are not rich by any means but through a good investment, we are making enough to purchase a house on some property so the only thing we are going to need money for on a normal basis are the essentials to live. Food, Gas, Utilities, Health Insurance, etc. We are interested in relocating to the Utuado area or another community in the mountainous region of the island. We are interested in opening a road-side food stand to make the income we need and we do have other options we can explore to bring in money in than a normal job so that is not a huge issue. We want to assimilate to the population, learn the way of life there respectfully and as quick learners, we will be fluent in Spanish in no time when emerged in the population. We have been to Puerto Rico before but never to the mountain regions.

Our biggest questions we have for you all who presently live on the island are as follows:

What is the actual situation like on the ground there with the Debt crisis?

How is the crime situation? Do you honestly feel safe on a day to day basis? (I understand anywhere has crimes of opportunity)

Will we stand out as targets in the mountain communities? And will we be targeted as new comers?

What will happen when the country defaults?

Can you own or carry knives? I know Guns need proper licenses.

Please make us aware of any sizable issues taking place within the country right now.

About blades: See http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/Puer … onsAct.pdf
Article 5.05 and subsections

So I can carry my machete since I am a jibaro!!  :lol:

daytrips2europe

Relax, no need to fear the natives.  Yes you will standout in a rural community, thats ok, meet the neighbors, I bet you will become friends!

adlin20 wrote:

So I can carry my machete since I am a jibaro!!  :lol:

It is a tool make sure it is nice and sharp you want it to cut not bounce, you may get hurt otherwise :D

Hi! I've been living here for about a year now and here's my take of things from the metro area.

What is the actual situation like on the ground there with the Debt crisis?
Sales tax is 11.5% it was hiked to pay off the debt. Electric rates went up 25% and our bill went from $120 to $180. Every time I go out to the mall or store there's always people shopping and parking lots always full. So I don't know how it's affecting others who've been here longer.

How is the crime situation? Do you honestly feel safe on a day to day basis?
Crime seems to happen in the same areas but I suggest you look up news for the area you'll be in. I think the FBI is investigating a town out here and their old mayor for misusing funds and not long ago they arrested a man who was keeping an alligator in his backyard and feeding it dogs. It really surprises me when I read the news out here. I personally keep a knife with me at all times when I'm out. On the bright side, my car battery died in a Walgreens parking lot, at night, in an unfamiliar town and I wasn't robbed.

Will we stand out as targets in the mountain communities? And will we be targeted as new comers?
I think that is a fear we might all have moving out here when it's a little unknown. My husband doesn't speak Spanish but looks Puerto Rican, and I'm I guess you can say Latina and I'm always asked where I'm from when I speak Spanish. The dialect is different so I stand out when I speak. Lol

What will happen when the country defaults?
I have no idea. I can imagine government programs that aren't federally funded would probably be cut.

Can you own or carry knives? I know Guns need proper licenses.
Not sure on the law but I always carry one with me.

You should maybe look up fb pages pertaining to PR and see what's going on in different areas, also the weather, crime etc.

Good luck!

Today in the news the police released the results of a study that says that each public housing complex has at least one drug point of distribution, not sure what they spend on it, but we known that for years without the study.

So stay away from public housing, most shoot outs are between gangs taking control of an area after a police raid on when a leader is released from jail and wants his territory back. Same as the US.

According to the study 80% of the drugs that enter PR, are forwarded to the states. So it is a distribution center.