What is mist happening small business by a expat in hungary

Hi friends,
My self murali from india. I would like to migrate to hungary as a business migrant. I have been searching which business should opt to run my family there.like cafe and bakery,or grocery store,bed and breakfast or coffee roasting and supply??
Plz advice...

Unless you speak Hungarian you will find it very difficult or close to  impossible to establish yourself as an individual entrepreneur in Hungary.

Hi,
I can hire 1or 2people in hungary who speaks Hungarian that's not a problem.i just like to know what business is in demand.if u r living in hungary can I have r Facebook or whatsapp number please.

These type of posts always surprise me.

"hey guys, I can't think of any ideas myself...so what's a good way to make money in a country I can't speak the language nor have ever visited?"

jesperss wrote:

These type of posts always surprise me.

"hey guys, I can't think of any ideas myself...so what's a good way to make money in a country I can't speak the language nor have ever visited?"

Just chancers. 

I mean, getting a visa without a bundle of money and a business plan, pfff...I don't fancy the odds.  More chance of spotting Elvis.

No need to surprise my friend.for example since 5 years I have been working in africa but I didn't know any local language,I managed sofar with English.in the same way why can't I run the business with English?

Muralidharsahu wrote:

... managed sofar with English.in the same way why can't I run the business with English?

Because hardly anyone speaks English in Hungary.  The 2nd language is German, then English, probably French or Italian after that.  The government is also against small business and very much against immigration from anywhere, never  mind Africa/India. They would like you if you had millions to invest. 

If you want to run a business in English, then you could do better in an English speaking country or one that is really good in English like one of the countries of the former Yugoslavia, Belgium or The Netherlands.  Hungary as a market is also very small.

It is a very new thing in Hungary for "outsiders" to move here let alone try to compete with locals for a buck or any resources.
I know there is a negative feeling towards anyone no matter their culture who does not speak Hungarian.
I see Hungarians opening small businesses all up and down the major Blvd, near our home.
Within a few short months they have closed down, many are still sitting empty.
How can you expect to have a go of it when even those in the know can't get it going.
As far as hiring a local to handle your business affairs for you, well...
No, not a good idea at all, the culture here is pretty much dog eat dog and you will more then likely be eaten alive.
Seems like the cheap Chinese  stores are the ones who are doing well but who knows what that is really all about.

Hi,
I can see every one talking about pros & cons of doing business in hungary.
But no one has mentioned what kind of businesses are going well like...cafe,bakery,restaurant ,grocery stores,off licence stores ..

Please don't deviate the topic.

Maybe a restaurant of food from India but then again a few of those have closed down over the past couple of years.
We opened a import/export in HU back when it was easy in 1989.
My husband and all his HU contacts are native born Hungarians.
Still was a huge mess to collect and trust anyone.
Husband was flying from Calf. to HU bout every 6 weeks and staying in HU for a couple of weeks and still things fell apart. We sold everything under the sun, cars, Coo coo clocks, toilet seats, Ray Ban sunglasses, makeup swimsuits baby items. Many of the large amounts we bought were purchased from warehouses in Calif that came via China. These days in HU it looks like the Chinese have their own direct connections to products from China.
Can not compete without those contacts.
My husband's family has lived in HU since before recorded history.His family was known hundreds of years ago and they have records of them as land owners, one was even a viceroy ages ago, doctors to kings etc. So some real roots invested in Hungary.
We have gone a few times to a vendor in a farmers market, my hubby speaks HU to them when we buy things. Last time I spoke some English and they asked where my husband was from. He said HU.
Then he said something in English to me and the vendors said, we knew you were a foreigner! They are not overly crazy about even their own who have left and returned, remember before 89 there were very few outsiders in HU. With all the troubles with immigrants these past few years, the locals are not seriously  enjoying seeing outsiders in their country. Just the facts.
We have a family in our house from Pakastain, the home owners association is trying to kick them out of the building just because some people do not like their habits of talking loud outside or the smells from their kitchen. Just the way it is, not right perhaps but the truth.
My husband was asked to sign the petition to toss these people out, he didn't want to get involved but there are many strong handed people who already are not 100% overjoyed that American me is here.Just a head's up.

Thanks alot for Nice information
What about the clothes business like a special boutique ???for men and women ?

Muralidharsahu wrote:

Hi,
I can hire 1or 2people in hungary who speaks Hungarian that's not a problem.

You will actually have to do this. To run any of the businesses you mentioned (except maybe B&B), the manager must have an approved course certificate to manage such a business, and those courses are only given in Hungarian (as far as I know).

Muralidharsahu wrote:

cafe and bakery,or grocery store,bed and breakfast or coffee roasting and supply??.

- Cafe: Popular, but very low profit margins. People here like really cheap menus. For food service, maybe consider high end restaurant for the 1% or an ethnic restaurant (Indian cuisine is great) and cater to the tourist crowd (Hungarians dining at an ethnic restaurant probably would not be significant source of income).

- Bakery: Lots of competition. Would not recommend unless you can invest a great deal of capital. A baked "sweet store" may be a better option in this category. Hungarians love their baked sweets (such as cakes).

- Bed and Breakfast: I do not know. But everyone seems to rent out part of their house here, so again, probably a lot of competition.

- Coffee: Not really much of a high end coffee society. That would be more Vienna. Yes, they are around, and I love a good cup of high quality coffee, but most Hungarians do not make enough to buy expensive coffee regularly. Here, it is mostly Nescafe (ick....)

Muralidharsahu wrote:

Thanks alot for Nice information
What about the clothes business like a special boutique ???for men and women ?

Too much competition: Chain stores, Chinese run pile it high stores and second hand imports

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Seems like the cheap Chinese  stores are the ones who are doing well but who knows what that is really all about.

Cash based businesses are sometimes used as money laundering operations.   

I suspect the Chinese stores are part of an unofficial chain or are family run operations (i.e. lower costs but sharing the profits across family members)

Muralidharsahu wrote:

Plz advice...

My suggestion: Look into buying out an existing household general mercantile "corner store". That sell everything from salt shakers to toilet paper and shampoo. Daily needs. And I recommend buying out an existing store because then the customer base already exists and need not even know the ownership changed hands.

Thanks
and really it helps me to research more on this before i visit hungary.