Is moving to India a good idea

I have always been fascinated by India. I have lived in the UK for 15 years with my daughter which is now 24. We came back to Italy in 2011 and two years ago, for a variety of reasons we have decided to look at other possibilities like to moving out of Europe. We took (still take) into consideration India and Mexico. I forgot to mention that my daughter is half Sri lankan. We have been in mexico a few times and we have also been in India (Kerala and Mumbay) for a month and two weeks in Sri lanka. I fell in love with India as soon as we landed in Mumbay. I already knew a lot about the culture because when in the Uk we lived in a town populated mostly by asians. I was the only non-asian person in my road. But... I also have many worries about coming to live in India especially regarding my daughter.  It is a big decision.... I hope that talking to people that have made the same decision will help. ... :) I am looking at Kerala. especially Trivandrum.

Hi Mariella.b,

Welcome to https://www.expat.com! :)

Thank you for this introduction.

Your topic has been moved on the India forum.

All the best,
Christine
Expat.com team

Thank you!

Trivandrum is a wonderful city and would be one of my choices of cities to live in India.. The other city you might like to consider is Pondicherry..
It is a great idea to move to India and Mexico would also be my other choice to consider..
We think alike on this subject, i guess..

Good idea . Trivandrum is a good city.

Hey,

Good idea.  Delhi is also a very good city to move in India.  Take care

Hello Mariella,

It's been quite a while, i presume you've decided the city in India you're gonna move in.

I hail from Chennai, TamilNadu which is close to Kerala. Trivandrum is a good choice. I would recommend Pondicherry as it is a French colony and you'll have lot of french and considerable amount other expatriates to get along compared to other cities. Just make sure you are clear and strong in your paper works regarding visa/residence permit. Everything else will be manageable in India. Being a parent you have to make smart choices in selecting your neighborhood. Getting a part time/full time job will be easy in Trivandrum, Pondicherry or Goa.

P.S - Chennai has been ranked as one of the safest city in India recently :) Let us know if you need any further information.