How to Improve Norwegian (Hearing and Talking)

Just wondering.  If you are not living in an environment of norwegian and do not have norweigan friendds, how do you improve your listening and talking skills?

What is the best way to improve?

do you live in Norway in an expat community or do you not live in Norway at all?

I live in Norway but live and work in expat community.

Um.. maybe start by going to some Norwegian classes? Or maybe start with Duolingo, or add stuff to Anki and work from there?

I joined a Norwegian choir. Great way to learn a language IMO- you spend the whole time in a group of Norwegians, and singing breaks down the words into phonemes that are more easily understood IME.

I found that classes were actually less useful because I didn't get so much of a chance to speak, and all the people I was speaking with were also foreigners (so my accent didn't get as much of a chance to improve). Plus, they're EXPENSIVE in most places.

I do attend norwegian classes but my talking and listening skills are not growing as fast as my writing, reading and grammatical skills.  I think I probably need to attend conversational class instead of the standard norwegian classes.  Yeah....expensive classes.  It is quite weird that they charge so expensive here.  In some countries, if you are willing to learn their language, the classes are free!

I reside in Florida and have taken the initiative to learn norwegian since family originated from Fredrikstad area. My cousin does not speak English and out of pride for my homeland, and to better communicate with her and my extended norwegian relatives, I want to learn the language.  I have studied basic learning audio tapes (repeatedly), dissected newspapers from Fredrikstad which resulted in low level reading skills.  However, I am totally absent of dialogue since the nearest norwegian community in the States is 1200 miles north in Minnesota. Has anyone tried learning the language with Rosetta Stone?

Hey guys, maybe try 'The Language Hackers' Guild on Habitica. So many resources and people learning different languages. There's a bunch of resources on their page too.

https://habitica.com/#/options/groups/g … b1b5b51629

Thanks for the info

Just a heads up to some of you, the University of Oslo is starting a free online Norwegian Course on Monday. Not sure if it's any good, but we might as well give it a go, it won't hurt:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/norwegian/1