Requirements to get Australian Pension in Philippines

My husband is a New Zealand Citizen,  58 years old and he is working in Australia for 8 years until now.
He is planning to live in Philippines after he retires.

Please give us important information on what to do to avail the pension in Philippines.
The requirements and some tips.

Thank you.

Hi Pinky,
Info can be found here.....

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/custom … ge-pension

There are moves afoot by the present LNP Govt to STOP the pension eligibility to anyone who spends longer than 6 weeks per annum overseas.

Hope this helps.....

Sorry but the prospects are not good for him for getting the Australian Old Age Pension.  aussie pete's link is spot on.

I understand that currently if some one is already getting the age pension and living here, then they will continue to get it.  i.e. have reached pension age, then spend 2 years or more years while living in Australia and then move over to the Philippines.

I think that the one exception to the above is if your husband worked for the federal government, I am not sure of all the details as it does not affect me.  But I think the dirt bags in Canberra and set it up that they can get a pension while living in any place in the world.

I am 54 and would like to retire here when I am 55, I doubt and do not plan on ever getting the age pension from the Australian government (even after having served in the Australian army for 12 years)

Yep the system sucks, the Australian government does not give a rats as..  about it's citizens, unless you live as they Government directs you to.

Sorry for delivering this news, I know that it has a big impact on some ones lifestyle and future plans.

PS, the best thing "sic" for you husband to do I live in the Philippines, burn his passport and all identity papers and then when he needs the money become a refugee in Australia, then he will get 100% of all entitlements with no waiting periods.  "sic"

Australian Government Department of Human Services
Corporate Business Community Health professionals Minister
Customer online accounts
myGovLog on
Page last updated: 21 September 2016
Register | Help

HomeFind usContact us
Information in your language

Search
Families
Separated parents
Job seekers
Older Australians
Your health
People with disability
Students and trainees
Migrants, refugees and visitors
Carers
Rural and remote Australians
Indigenous Australians
Help in an emergency
Listen
Pension rates payable to people outside Australia
Pensions are paid differently if you live outside Australia permanently or are absent from Australia on a long term basis.

Outside Australia pension rates and thresholds
Outside Australia pension rates and thresholds are re-assessed in January, March, July and September each year.

These rates apply to customers who are permanently outside Australia or absent from Australia for longer than 6 weeks.

Rates and thresholds
These Australian dollar (A$) figures are a guide only and are effective from 20 September 2016 unless otherwise stated.

Outside Australia - Pension Rates and Thresholds
How much pension while outside Australia    A$ amount per year single    A$ amount per year couple both eligible    A$ amount per year couple one eligible partner    A$ amount per year couple separated due to ill health
Maximum basic rate    20,754.40    31,278.00    15,639.00    20,745.40
Basic Pension Supplement    590.20    972.40    486.20    590.20
Total    21,335.60 Single    32,250.40 Maried   
Allowable income while outside Australia    A$ amount per year single    A$ amount combined couple both eligible    A$ amount combined couple one eligible partner    A$ amount combined couple separated due to ill health
Full pension    up to
4,264.00    up to
7,592.00    up to
7,592.00    up to
Part pension    less than
46,935.20    less than
72,092.80    less than
72,092.80    less than
Allowable assets while outside Australia    A$ amount per year single    A$ amount combined couple both eligible    A$ amount combined couple one eligible partner    A$ amount combined couple separated due to ill health
Full pension - homeowner    209,000    296,500    296,500    296,500
Full pension - non-homeowner    360,500    448,000    448,000    448,000
Part pension - homeowner    less than
756,250    less than
1,123,500    less than
1,123,500    less than
Part pension - non-homeowner    less than
907,750.00    less than
1,275,000    less than
1,275,000    less than
Deeming rates and thresholds while outside Australia    A$ amount single    A$ amount combined couple both eligible    A$ amount combined couple one eligible partner    A$ amount combined couple separated due to ill health
Threshold    49,200    81,600    81,600    81,600
Rate below threshold    1.75%    1.75%    1.75%    1.75%
Rate above threshold    3.25%    3.25%    3.25%    3.25%
The rate of payment is calculated under both the income and assets tests. The test that results in the lower rate or nil rate is applied. Some assets are deemed to earn income and there are special rules for other types of income. There is no income or assets test for customers who are permanently blind. Read more about what is regarded as income and assets for the purpose of calculating the rate of pension payable to you.

Some customers may receive a transitional rate of pension based on the pre 20 September 2009 income test rules and payment rates.

Some customers may receive a reduced rate of pension based on how long they were an Australian resident.

Each 2 weeks, the Work Bonus disregards up to A$250 of employment income earned by eligible pensioners over age pension age unless you receive Parenting Payment single. If your employment income is less than A$250, the unused Work Bonus is banked up to a maximum amount of A$6,500. If you are eligible for a transitional rate, we will compare the transitional rate that has no Work Bonus to the new rate which has the Work Bonus. The transitional rate is paid whenever it pays the higher rate.

Single and combined couple rates are reduced by A$1.50 per 2 weeks for every A$1,000 of additional assets above the allowable assets limit. Certain assets are not included in the assets test.

Payment calendar
If you are outside Australia on a long term absence or live in another country, you will receive 13 regular 4 weekly payments each year.

Your 4 weekly pension payments schedule from November 2016 to May 2017.

Your payment will be issued on:    Direct deposit customers should receive payment by:    Cheque customers should receive payment by:    Payment covers the period:
24 Nov 2016    30 Nov 2016    14 Dec 2016    27 Oct to 23 Nov 2016
15 Dec 2016    21 Dec 2016    4 Jan 2017    24 Nov to 21 Dec 2016
19 Jan 2017    25 Jan 2017    8 Feb 2017    22 Dec 2016 to 18 Jan 2017
16 Feb 2017    22 Feb 2017    8 Mar 2017    19 Jan to 15 Feb 2017
16 Mar 2017    22 Mar 2017    5 Apr 2017    16 Feb to 15 Mar 2017
11 Apr 2017    17 Apr 2017    1 May 2017    16 Mar to 12 Apr 2017
11 May 2017    17 May 2017    31 May 2017    13 Apr to 10 May 2017
Cheques may be delivered later over peak holiday periods due to delays in mail at this time.

Information about payments
Direct deposit payments
Direct deposit payments can be made into bank accounts held in or outside Australia. Amounts deposited will be available within 2 to 6 days after issue. If a payment hasn't arrived within 10 days of being issued, your local bank should be contacted before notifying us. Payments are made in local currency or in US dollars.

Cheque payments
Cheque payments should arrive 14 to 20 days after issue. They are sent in local currency for most countries, or in US dollars.

Cheques are sent through the international and local mail systems and there are often delays. These delays are beyond our control.

If a cheque has not arrived within 20 days of being issued, we can cancel the cheque and send a new one. The new cheque can also take some time to be delivered.

Cheques deposited into bank accounts will need to be cleared before funds can be accessed. Clearance delays can be around 2 weeks if the cheque is in local currency, or 4 weeks for US dollar cheques.

If a cheque arrives after it has been cancelled, it should not be cashed, or penalty bank charges may be incurred.

In most countries we can pay pensions directly into bank accounts. We encourage this method of payment, as it is safe, quick and reliable.

Page last updated: 21 September 2016

a person in Australia must live here 10 years and reach retiring age that he get a prorata pension that is up to 25 years after that he gets a full pension overseas

First choice. He must become Australian citizen or no pension at all. Google will help you with details.
Second choice. Go back to NZ and requalify for NZ residency. I think takes 2years.
Centrelink have changed the rules and possibly imposed 6week time limit or pension is dramatically reduced.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Off-topic. This post is abour requirements. Please create your own topic
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I did not think I was off topic, I was talking about Australian pension? I am sure this is the topic right?

pinkyteriini wrote:

My husband is a New Zealand Citizen,  58 years old and he is working in Australia for 8 years until now.

Please give us important information on what to do to avail the pension in Philippines.

Thank you.

I believe age pension in Australia has been lifted to 70 years old, so your husband has many more years to go, your plans need to be put on hold for a bit.

At 67 he can retire in Australia, must be living in Oz for 2 years prior to receiving any hope of a pension, not sure of the AU/NZ treaties with regards to pensions but our good friend Google will help, research, research and research again.
Good luck and let us know what you find.

Cheers, Steve.

I have a kiwi friend who has been through this recently.
He has worked in Australia for 20yrs but didn't get Australian citizenship.
Now he is of pension age the government/Centrelink says no citizenship, no pension.
That's your problem now.  He needs to become an Australian citizen right now and even then he will only receive about half of the full pension.
Next choice is return to NZ to requalify for NZ residency to receive NZ pension.
I think this takes 2yrs. 
All expatriate pensioners are praying the Australian government doesn't change the rules or we are up the creek with no paddle.

samangelevski wrote:

I did not think I was off topic, I was talking about Australian pension? I am sure this is the topic right?

I read it as  "Requirements to get Australian Pension in Philippines"

NOTE: retirement and Pension, are one of the same, yes and no, most people in Australia will say I am going to retire or I am in retirement, this is how I see it back home in Australia, Pension is really old age only, on the other hand retirement is done by way of funds through Superannuation, but both have right to call them self retires, or they both in retirement, now for old age pension you have to wait for your age, this is different for every one, but starts at 68 to 70 years, and you will be automatically places on old age pension, Retirement by way of Super, this is again up to individuals, age you chose when, providing you have lots of funds there to support yourself and your life, I see lots of Australians here in Philippines are in fact on old age pension, and some have said this may change in time, means pension is only payed to you if you live in Australia, but can not take it with you overseas.

But look at the perks the pollies (Australia) legislated for themselves time and time again, democracy? Pah! Only happy I worked hard and will never rely on a dwindling old aged pension.

Cheers, Steve.

samangelevski wrote:
pinkyteriini wrote:

Thank you.

I believe age pension in Australia has been lifted to 70 years old, so your husband has many more years to go, your plans need to be put on hold for a bit.

Just a little bit off Sam

From July 2017
Depending on your birthdate, from 1 July 2017 age pension age will be 65 years and 6 months.

After that, age pension age will go up 6 months every 2 years until 1 July 2023.
If your birthdate is you'll be old enough at
1 July 1952 to 31 December 1953 - 65 years and 6 months
1 January 1954 to 30 June 1955 - 66 years
1 July 1955 to 31 December 1956 - 66 years and 6 months
From 1 January 1957 - 67 years

well done pej, means long way for me, not a good news