The holiday season in Switzerland

Hello everyone,

Are you about to celebrate the holiday season in Switzerland? In many countries and cultures, the festive season is the time for happiness and reunions/gatherings. Is it so in Switzerland? How do Swiss celebrate this very special time of the year?

What about you? Will you spend the holiday season in your host country or in your home country? Will there be expat reunions/celebrations/parties in your region/town/area?

Thank you in advance for sharing!

Priscilla

Geneva tends to be on the quiet side at Christmas time as a lot of expats choose to spend time with family and friends back home or head for the mountains to catch the snow.  My wife and I choose to go back to see our family in London each Christmas even if only for a 3 or 4 days.

As Christmas Day, the 25th, falls on a Sunday this year, many people will work their usual week Monday to Friday, enjoy their festivities over the weekend and get up ready for work again on Monday morning as Geneva opens it's doors for business on 26th, whereas UK gives citizens Monday and Tuesday off as official Bank holidays which is when the big sales begin!

GenevaKev wrote:

Geneva tends to be on the quiet side at Christmas time as a lot of expats choose to spend time with family and friends back home or head for the mountains to catch the snow.  My wife and I choose to go back to see our family in London each Christmas even if only for a 3 or 4 days.

As Christmas Day, the 25th, falls on a Sunday this year, many people will work their usual week Monday to Friday, enjoy their festivities over the weekend and get up ready for work again on Monday morning as Geneva opens it's doors for business on 26th, whereas UK gives citizens Monday and Tuesday off as official Bank holidays which is when the big sales begin!

In France the 26th is also a working day which, for me as an Englishwoman, I it so find wrong! We have always spent Boxing Day with family and we just take it for granted as a given. So this year I will be returning to France early morning to start the working day.
Unfortunately none of my colleagues understand how difficult it is for me! So I am sure I will be blue thinking about the rest of my family back in the UK.