The holiday season in Spain

Hello everyone,

Are you about to celebrate the holiday season in Spain? In many countries and cultures, the festive season is the time for happiness and reunions/gatherings. Is it so in Spain? How do Spanish celebrate this very special time of the year?

What about you? Will you spend the holiday season in your host country or in your home country? Will there be expat reunions/celebrations/parties in your region/town/area?

Thank you in advance for sharing!

Priscilla

Generally the main family meal of Christmas is on Christmas Eve (Nochebuena) and usually comprises various types of fish. Christmas Day is not as important as it is in the UK and usually doesn't involve giving gifts although in areas with a high population of British ex-pats parents may give their children a gift of some kind on Christmas Day.  Boxing Day is a normal working day.

The main event is the Three Kings starting on 5th January when Melchor, Gazpar and Baltasar arive with their retinue of attendants.  Here in Menorca the Kings each have an elaborate throne pulled through the streets by tractors and the attendants are mounted on black stallions. Handfuls of sweets are thrown to the crowding children by each of the Kings.   Later the Kings dismount and walk through the narrow lanes, being greeted by wide-eyed children.  Before they go to bed the children put their shoes outside the door as a sign to the Kings and will receive their presents in the morning.  6th January is a national holiday and usually celebrated with a big family gathering.

Sadly, this year we are not returning to the UK for Christmas so it will be a fairly low key affair. The weather is currently very mild and if it continues, my wife and I will take a picnic to one of the splendid deserted beaches and dine in style.  We hope to Skype later in the day so we can eve-drop on various family celebrations in the UK.  We will certainly join in with the Three Kings street parade on 5th January.

I teach English to people and asking what the traditions are for Christmas is one of the standard seasonal questions. I know that Britain has changed and not everyone has turkey with carrots and sprouts any more but I'm sure that it is still the most popular food on the day. In Spain there is absolutely no consensus about Christmas food. The only common factor seems to be seafood as part of the food to share at the beginning of the meals on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Christmas food though includes lots of things like the turron (almond based confection), the mantecados, polvorones and marzipan sweets - basically lots of sugary sweet things. It's easy to work out which are the Christmas things in the supermarkets because they are piled high in temporary displays.

Sending cards is hardly done by anyone.

Father Christmas is gaining ground on the Kings though he's still miles behind so there is a tendency for a bit of gift giving on the 25th but moreso on the 6th of Jan. The big doughnutty sort of things for Kings, the roscones, are pretty good but look out for your teeth as you bite into them as they have little novelties built in.

And it all starts, sort of, with the Christmas draw, El Gordo. There's no point you buying a ticket though. This year it's mine!

This is perfect.