Thinking About Starting Anew In Puerto Rico, Do I Or Don't I.

It has always been a dream of mine to run off to an island & just start fresh. Once school is done for me I plan on moving to a tropical destination for maybe a year, to ground myself & to gain a better perspective on life. Would Puerto Rico be the place to do it?

That was always a dream of mine too. Then I got married and my husband's job brought us here. Although I love it here, I don't think I would pick this place over all the other islands. Do you plan on working during this year? It can be difficult to find a job. When I was looking, I thought of the Bahamas or the U.S.V.I. I am sure in these times it is hard to find a job there too. If you have any questions, let me know. From a female prospective too, I am not sure that this is the safest place...just a thought! Don't get me wrong, it has it beautiful spots, I just wouldn't chose to live here again over all the other islands. Best of luck in your decision-making. I sure some others will chime in here and offer some other advice.

Hello, KristinnnH. Do you speak any Spanish?

To sunkissedbliss:
Yes I do plan on woking there during that year, But job wise, I wouldn't be looking for a career in PR 'cause that would be taking away from the point of the trip for me. My ideal plan was to look for a small job like in a cafe or something of that sort. I just want something that will pay for the bills and put a little food on the table for myself. But should I get a work visa just incase? I go to Mexico all the time and spanish people are just amazing! I do know there are risks with me just going on my own to PR. But thank you so much for the information so far.

To NomadLawyer:
Um I am currently in my first year classes of Spanish and using Rosetta Stone as review. I am also taking other courses to learn about Spanish culture.

Based on your objectives, I'd say that Puerto Rico could be ideal for you even though you are just beginning to learn Spanish. It's very hard to learn a second language well when not residing in a country where it is spoken anyway so it is best to simply move and then commit yourself to learning it once in-country.

I'd highly recommend that you give serious consideration to relocating to Old San Juan. The reasons for this recommendation are several: (1) you can live, work, socialize and shop all in Old San Juan so you will not need a car, (2) you can find a job relatively easily, even without dominating the Spanish language, as a waitress, shop assistant, etc., (3) for the most part, Old San Juan has a wonderful atmosphere and is great to spend time in (the more time you spend there, the more the place opens up its little secrets to you), (4) it is safe, and (5) it will not be very hard to form a group of friends for support. I have my office there and I love going to work everyday.

You will probably be able to afford a small apartment or may find a roommate without much bother. Additionally, your wages would not be much different then what you would earn in Canada doing comparative work. Considering your circumstances and what you are looking for, I'd recommend Old San Juan over any other destination in the Caribbean or the entire Americas, for that matter.

Thank you so much for this information, I'm seriously considering Puerto Rico over Hawaii and Jamaica. The Spanish culture and language just amazes me, It looks like the right place for someone like myself.

Before you get on a plane, make sure you sort out the visa / work permit issue!
PR is a US territory and the same rules as for the USA apply here.

I found this site that will be helpful: canuckabroad.com/forums/so-you-want-to-move-to-the-states-eh-vt2199.html

A quote from that site:

Also to remember, as Canadians we can visit the US for up to 6 months at a time, or per calendar year, whichever comes first. During that time, you are considered a Visitor, and not eligible to work. At all. Not even telecommute to a Canadian job over the internet. You cannot work in the US unless you have a work permit. Even for a foreign employer.

For sure. I didn't plan on leaving without a visa and work permit. It would be a total nightmare for me to go there and not be able to work at all, or even live there. But thank you for the site, I will be sure to check it out.

Hi, I'm not as sure as nomadlawyer that finding a job in San Juan will be that easy - and Old San Juan can be expensive on a waitress's or clerk's salary. I also don't know how easy it is to find a job in Old San Juan. Would you be able to visit Puerto Rico first for a week or so to check it out before you make a commitment?
     There's a website clasificadosonline.com which is free for advertising jobs, houses, apts, etc. You might be able to get some idea of what's available (Jobs & apts) there. You can get by without being fluent in Spanish; there's a lot of English and Spanglish used, but the better your Spanish, the easier it is.
     Puerto Rico is beautiful, and if you do come, I would recommend trying to see as much of the island as you can. Life in San Juan is very different from life in the country.

I'd suggest you might look into trying out the west coast of PR. There is a large amount of English speaking residents there and it would be a bit easier to communicate with people in just about any situation. There are also quite a few restaurants and bars of all kinds where you might be able to pick up some work. Rincon is a very unique area and there is a great sense of community and the residents as a whole are very helpful. Go to coquirincon which is the local newspaper El Coqui. In there you will find a lot of advertisements for restaurants, many with contact information listed. Call them or look them up on the internet to see if anybody is hiring.
  I don't know how long you intend to be there but I'd suggest you try and take enough funds to hold you over for several months. Jobs are very hard to come by island-wide. I've said it to others before, I don't think PR is a place to go to solely on a whim. Especially by yourself without knowing anybody there. But if you educate yourself a bit and are smart about it, it very well can be a great adventure.

Gregg

Thank you vkbudd & Greggk;
I will be sure to take the information you have given me into account prior to my trip. I still have plenty of time to do my research on Puerto Rico & possibly get a trip in, to really get an idea of what's in store for me if I decide to live there for a while.

DON'T!!!