The holiday season in Belize

Hello everyone,

Are you about to celebrate the holiday season in Belize? In many countries and cultures, the festive season is the time for happiness and reunions/gatherings. Is it so in Belize? How do Belizians celebrate this very special time of the year?

What about you? Will you spend the holiday season in your host country or in your home country? Will there be expat reunions/celebrations/parties in your region/town/area?

Thank you in advance for sharing!

Priscilla

Speaking of Christmas...are Christmas trees sold in Belize or do people use artificial trees? I would think since pine trees are non-existent, people have artificial trees.

Most people use artificial trees. But there are lots of pine trees in Belize and real ones are being sold in BC.

Yes most people use artificial trees or create reasonable fact similes. Sorry I can't get the photo to display that shows why we don't decorate the palm trees. You will have to click the image if you are interested. Oh and by the way...........................

Please Excuse My Sense Of Humor

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ … slide=id.p

Bill, that gives me a whole new understanding of a Royal Palm  :cool:

sloputtputt wrote:

I would think since pine trees are non-existent, people have artificial trees.

I was surprised the first time I rented a car to drive around Stann Creek and points South. Lots of Pine trees all over the place. The diversity of the geography, and vegetation in Belize always fills me with amazement and wonder each time I venture out. In less than an hour I can drive from the Caribbean, and white sandy beaches through vast pine forests. past cattle grazing on pasture land, to jungles to rain forest on steep mountain sides. 

One of the most beautiful views I ever had, was driving from Belmopan down the Hummingbird Highway to Placencia just after dawn, the steam rising off the jungle/rain forests on the Mountain sides brought a new breathtaking view at almost every turn.

In Belmopan market place  they have a 'tree' made of stacked tires painted green looks fun decorated. Most people i know use artificial trees, including the one I put up for my son.

I always  thought the trees would be palm and trees you would find in a jungle and or rain forest, but never any pine trees. I am surprised.

http://belizeinfocenter.org/wp-content/ … orests.pdf

katzgar wrote:

http://belizeinfocenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Pine-Forests.pdf

I can see it now...one of those trees shown in the picture in a house decorated with ornaments and lights.  :lol:

LOL.  maybe a hole in the roof

:gloria Pine trees are all along the highway from the Belize Zoo, Belize district, going all the way into Belmopan.

Can be found other areas of Belize too.
Who says pine trees are nonexistent here ?

Or the Chinese sells numerous amounts of X-mass trees. Choose your size and colour .

:heart: And ain't that awesome.💝

:blink: Here in Punta Gorda on Christmas day is very, very quiet.
No parties really. Parties take place December 31, to ring in the new year with fireworks at midnight, fun and frolicking in the streets.

Most residents here in town travel to other towns, cities or villages to spend time with their relatives as soon as all schools close for Christmas break.

If you're looking for a place that's still calm and quiet at Christmas,  come to Punta Gorda.

💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝

Evaluxurious wrote:

:gloria Pine trees are all along the highway from the Belize Zoo, Belize district, going all the way into Belmopan.

Can be found other areas of Belize too.
Who says pine trees are nonexistent here ?

Or the Chinese sells numerous amounts of X-mass trees. Choose your size and colour .

Trees from China...I betting that they don't stay fresh very long.  I was guessing there aren't any pine trees in Belize thinking it being a tropical country

;)    They will stay as frash as you want, cause guess what ? They are all ARTIFICIAL. LOL.

The Chinese doesn't sell freshly cut Christmas trees.  No.

You have to cut down your own fresh, natural tree. :cool:

Evaluxurious wrote:

;)    They will stay as frash as you want, cause guess what ? They are all ARTIFICIAL. LOL.

The Chinese doesn't sell freshly cut Christmas trees.  No.

You have to cut down your own fresh, natural tree. :cool:

Yes, and they are about 30 feet tall too according to this picture.

http://belizeinfocenter.org/wp-content/ … orests.pdf

I can see one now in a person's house.  :D

Did you know they have saws in Belize you can just cut the top off

katzgar wrote:

Did you know they have saws in Belize you can just cut the top off

Yes, and you would be deforming a beautiful tree. Besides, you have to have a very long ladder. I would go with an artificial tree.

You're not serious are you your being humorous right you just cut the damn tree down and take the top

sloputtputt wrote:

Trees from China...I betting that they don't stay fresh very long.  I was guessing there aren't any pine trees in Belize thinking it being a tropical country

Time to clear that monolithic view from your mind, replace it with a very diverse landscape depending on where in Belize you are. Please see my previous post  :D

At one time lumber including pine was a big export product. Not unusual to see Cactus grow in close proximity to Coconut trees . Different soil conditions and local weather patterns in different areas grow a wide variety of plant life. Many places in the lower latitudes are the same way, Antigua for example has both a desert and a rain forest, with lots in between.

I don't know that it applies to believe it all but anytime you have mountains you're going to have a wetsiide and the dry side the Cascades in Washington state or like that and the islands of Hawaii are like that

katzgar wrote:

I don't know that it applies to believe it all but anytime you have mountains you're going to have a wetsiide and the dry side the Cascades in Washington state or like that and the islands of Hawaii are like that

Or go to southern Peru where on the east side of the Andes you have jungle and on the west side you have beaches that are in a desert.