Moving to Kuwait

Hi everyone,

I'm an American female moving to Kuwait by myself in February. Now that my move is around the corner, I'm getting a bit anxious about how to meet people, etc. Any tips from fellow Westerners? I feel the cold feet coming on and any advice or reassurance would be much appreciated!

You'll surely make friends easily around here not just with Westerns but with all the different types of expats we have in the country.

If you'll come with open heart and open mind, you'll learn to like it too just like many of us did. I have just moved to Kuwait after living and working in Dubai for 4 years and though the life style is different inside the country, you can always afford to get a plane ticket out to the nearest exits like Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Salalah, Doha, Muscat and Manama to name a few. On top of that, you'll experience a totally different lifestyle which you'll learn to adapt too.

It's beautiful down here just dont compare it to anywhere else.

Cheers!
Mary

Why only Westeners ?:)

Anyhow living here is all about find a group of friends with mutual interests.

It's not that kind of "hard living" as others may inform you.

The country is still much more liberal than KSA or Iran. As i tell everyone, the only differences between Dubai and Kuwait is that the first allow for public parties and alcohol consumption ( in addition to their fake touristic places :D)

Still here, expats hold private parties.

How's your life style? What do you do during your free time?

Not only interested in being friends or hearing from Westerners!! Just meant any advice about how to cope with potential culture shock. I feel myself getting afraid of the move so I'm looking for some encouragement :)

Thank you, Mary. I'm definitely keeping an open mind. I am actually moving to Kuwait to help open a new center for autism treatment. I am very excited to get to know people and to learn about the culture. I'm just getting nervous as my dream is quickly becoming a reality!

Interested in meeting friends from everywhere! I'm interested in travel, reading, good food and good wine (which I will miss terribly), social justice.. really I'm willing to try anything once!

The culture shock won't be as great as you might fear.

Western food is everywhere, shopping malls, American cars fill  the roads. Decent internet is available, too.

Biggest changes to get used to are no bars or clubs and there are "moral police" that have an Islamic-influenced interest in your activities with the opposite gender.

Coffee shops and cafes are everywhere to meet with any friends you make.

Relax. You'll be fine.

Hearty welcome awaits you in Kuwait and being a male expatriate living in Kuwait since 1978 I pen with confidence and conviction that you will not regret to be here where many expats including from West like you are here for decades. Please do contact me when land in Kuwait. God bless you. Iqbal Hadi Zaidi / Former Pakistani Diplomat / *

Moderated by Christine 7 years ago
Reason : please share your contact details via pm. Thank you

hi
first , great welcome to Kuwait.
people here r from different nationalities , a mixture of various cultures , so u will be one of these new background , so dont worry .
everything will be smoothly go on without any mere effort from u.
people, including me ,  r very helpful & friendly.
i'd like to offer my help

Hey! I'm looking at moving from Australia around the same time! I'm sharing the same feelings. It's so nerve racking! Keep updated on when you arrive, it would be nice to catch up with someone in a similar boat upon arriving! :)

Kuwait is a mix of people from different races and religions backgrounds. It will be interesting place to experience new lifestyle.
Enjoy & have fun.

I just moved in this week (have been here a few times earlier this year on business trips), it's a bit different here than Dubai or other countries across the Middle East (no bars/ night clubs), but plenty of malls, coffee shops and restaurants. There're plenty of expats communities as well, you'll just need to navigate your way through the entrance.
Obtaining residency permit and civil ID is a lengthy process, just be prepared.

You are most welcome to Kuwait. Don't worry at all we are here from different countries and cultures but we are living here like family. We are helping each other even from different countries or different race. I hope within very short time you will feel very comfortable after reach.

I had the same anxiety when I moved in October 2016.   But after my first week, I was relieved to find that its an easy country and the people are very friendly.   Sure there is no beautiful mountains here like Colorado, but there is plenty of beauty if you can just be open minded.