Between Sydney & Perth

Hello Everyone,

Myself Piyush and am from India. I have an offer from Australian company and they have asked me to choose between Sydney & Perth. I need your help as you guys are living there.

Thanks

Piyush

Hi Piyush, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Your topic has been introduced as a new thread on the Australia forum for better visibility.

I wish you good luck and i hope you get replies very soon.
Christine

Hi. Sorry Piyush, I am not being of much help to you. I am in the same boat as you are. I am being offered a job in Perth and I am really unsure if it would suit me. I used to live and work in Sydney before moving back to Kuala Lumpur. I have heaps of friends in Sydney - none in Perth. I really like Sydney but work is a lot more demanding.

I DESPERATELY need advise from you guys on this: Should I accept the job in Perth or do I wait for an opportunity in Sydney?? I am single, ambitious, and a bit of a workaholic (trying to recovere from it). I just want to know if Perth is challening and exciting enough for someone like me and whether there are things I could do on my own or will I end up being miserable because everything is meant for families/couples?? Are there a lot of expats? Is it easy to make friends there?

Hi ex-sydneysider,

I'm not sure if you want others to tell you where to live on this one. But I know it's probably a very difficult decision. You stated in your post that you feel work in Sydney is a lot more demanding but you have lots of friends since you lived and worked there before. The answer lies in these two factors. Would you be happier if you have more friends around? Or happier if work wasn't so demanding? But since you stated you are ambitious and a bit of a workaholic, you probably prefer a job that is demanding. You might get bored if you aren't so busy or stressed out because the job isn't challenging.

Is the job offer to Perth a contractual or permanent position? If it's a permanent position, are you planning to permanently live there? If it's contractual for 1 yr or less, than it could be a nice way for you to experience living and working in Perth. If you find that you are unhappy with the job or with the social scene, you at least know you can leave after the specific time.

If you really need to leave Kuala Lumpur now  for financial reasons, I would say take the job in Perth since you dont know if another job opportunity will come your way.  But if you are okay with your current job and you really prefer to wait until you can get a job in Sydney,  then you should decline the offer.

You might want to check out some of the blogs on this forum from people that live in Perth. Reading some of these blogs can give you a glimpse of what's it's like to live in Perth.

Piyush,
That's good you at least have two locations to choose from. Are you getting the same salary? Just asking since I've read and have been told that cost of living is higher in Sydney than most cities in Australia. So depending on your lifestyle can dictate which city you should move to.

Are the locations of your work in both cities near public transportation such as a bus or train? If not, that could mean you will then need to have a purchase a vehicle to take you work, stores, etc. You can check out google maps once you know the exact street addresses of the two work locations. It can show you the
area and let you know if that location is near a bus or train location. Then check out Perth and Sydney's
public transportation websites to let you know their specific stops in the city. I know that some people don't think about transportation. But if you don't have public transportation available near your work location, then you will need to purchase a vehicle.

Hi jb09, thanks so much! What you said really makes sense. When I first arrived in Sydney, I found it a lot quieter than Kuala Lumpur and the initial adjustment was difficult. I have been to Perth before and it is so much quieter than Sydney. Hence my worries. My current job is OK and I am in no hurry to leave. I will give it more thought. Thanks again for sharing your views.