Moving to Singapore - Need advise

Hey guys,

We live in Dubai, and am considering moving to Singapore. Have a wife and an year old girl. I would appreciate any genuine advises on pros and cons of SG. Having visited multiple times, it is still best left to people who are staying in the country to give their opinions. All your advises will really call for a prayer !!

Cheers,
Pristine

Welcome on the forum Pristine ;)

Thank you Yud and firdaus,

I would need some advise on life about singapore. good and bad :)

Cheers,
Pristine

What are you after a big pay check or a good lifestyle? Wether, culture, outdoor activities etc. JW

Hey JW,

I would want to know about all the aspects so that I can be sure of the ones that I value the most. Knowing all and then relating them to what you like is something i can do myself :)

Thank you very much,

Cheers,
Pristine

[Moderated: Negative vision]

Welcome to Singapore

Welcome Pristine,

It's hard to know where to start! We really like it here and think it's a great choice if you have the job offer you are looking for. It's expensive (most things are on par with the most expensive zip codes in the US and then some). A few things are cheaper, like food in hawker stalls and there are little weekend getaways from this location that seem like a really good deal. Domestic help is plentiful and affordable so it can be a great place for new moms to get extra help at home. I know lots of people who moved here to have a baby for that reason.
Look at the blogs from people here. I know there are lots! You might even find someone from where you are who is here which would give you a really good birds eye view into life here.

I agree with Typebug.
Many reasons to love Singapore and many to dislike it.
Our helper quit without notice so we don't have a helper.
International tuition rates are quite unreasonable and local schools are extremely academic, (in a way we cannot support).
The Malls in Singapore are many and the offerings dynamic. So it is a shoppers paradise if you have the cash. The art scene is nonexistent but the travel options (within a 4 hour flight) are endless. It is one of the safest cities in the world and violent crime is rare.
Take your pick!
Best wishes. We move back to the US in 3 months and counting the days.
:)

Hi Pristine,

Well, the bad first...The standard of living is very high and so is the cost.  there is no really quality of life especially if you are poor.  People are so into designers clothes, it is just overwhelming.  Everything on their body carries a brand.  Kinda of sad that they are so materialistic.  The girls are so pressured to be thin that they look anorexic.  Education is like a crock pot.  Kids have no childhood and parents are very pushy.  If you are rich enough to send  your kids to American school, life might be easier for them but it cost a bundle.  Most Singaporeans do not possessed much of a social grace either. Despite most being highly educated, they are rude and shelfish.  Housing is ridiculously expensive and very very small cos and there is no space. 

Now the good.. if you dare to eat the local food, the hawker center (food court) is still very reasonable.  This country offers every kind of food you are looking for and so I doubt yo will get homesick as far as food is concerned.  I have traveled quite a bit and I think Singapore offered the best when it comes to food.  Night life is fantastic, you can party all night long and there is always someplace open.  Shopping is great but only if you have the money cos nothing is cheap and if they cheap, they are crap.  Most sales are fake.  Domestic help is plentiful and cheap.  Almost everybody speaks English and so definitely no communication problem.  It is one of the most convenient city I have ever visited.  Very clean, safe and the subway system (MRT) is very clean unlike those in New York City.

Work is competitive.  It is a dog eat dog world.  Since it is such a small country, it is extremely  crowded and so for somebody like me who loves a little quiet, relaxing place, it is really non existence in Singapore. 

Whether you like a country or not, it depends on your personality and how open minded you are.  Overall, it is not too bad a country to live in if  you are a city person.

Hope this helps.

Good to hear about your plans of shifting to Singapore. It is one of the most beauteous and exciting places to live in Asia. The Public transport is quite cheap and convenient in Singapore. The grocery rates are very economical at a super market; an acceptable meal at any food court would cost you around S$3 for normal chicken rice or a bowl of noodles. Considering all this a balanced food would cost you around S$300 – S$400 for a month. The (moderated: no free ads please) real estate rates are quite reasonable and differ as per the floor size and the location; a 1000 sq ft HDB for rent would cost you around S$3000 per month with all the facilities. There a many property portals which provides you with sufficient details about the HDB rentals, condos and other properties in Singapore. There are many nurseries and playschools for your one year old girl, who would charge you SG $10000.00.

typebug wrote:

Welcome Pristine,

It's hard to know where to start! We really like it here and think it's a great choice if you have the job offer you are looking for. It's expensive (most things are on par with the most expensive zip codes in the US and then some). A few things are cheaper, like food in hawker stalls and there are little weekend getaways from this location that seem like a really good deal. Domestic help is plentiful and affordable so it can be a great place for new moms to get extra help at home. I know lots of people who moved here to have a baby for that reason.
Look at the blogs from people here. I know there are lots! You might even find someone from where you are who is here which would give you a really good birds eye view into life here.

Absolutely fantastic and thank you so much for this. Will keep it in mind.

Cheers,
Pristine

hatchje wrote:

I agree with Typebug.
Many reasons to love Singapore and many to dislike it.
Our helper quit without notice so we don't have a helper.
International tuition rates are quite unreasonable and local schools are extremely academic, (in a way we cannot support).
The Malls in Singapore are many and the offerings dynamic. So it is a shoppers paradise if you have the cash. The art scene is nonexistent but the travel options (within a 4 hour flight) are endless. It is one of the safest cities in the world and violent crime is rare.
Take your pick!
Best wishes. We move back to the US in 3 months and counting the days.
:)

Good Luck to you Hatchje,

I can imagine what you must be going through without a help ! Nonetheless, your suggestions are extremely valuable, and will definitely help in forming the opinion.

Cheers,
Pristine

melissatrozak wrote:

Good to hear about your plans of shifting to Singapore. It is one of the most beauteous and exciting places to live in Asia. The Public transport is quite cheap and convenient in Singapore. The grocery rates are very economical at a super market; an acceptable meal at any food court would cost you around S$3 for normal chicken rice or a bowl of noodles. Considering all this a balanced food would cost you around S$300 – S$400 for a month. The (moderated: no free ads please) real estate rates are quite reasonable and differ as per the floor size and the location; a 1000 sq ft HDB for rent would cost you around S$3000 per month with all the facilities. There a many property portals which provides you with sufficient details about the HDB rentals, condos and other properties in Singapore. There are many nurseries and playschools for your one year old girl, who would charge you SG $10000.00.

Melissa,

That is wonderful. Thank you so very much. Yes, I understand that after being pampered in Dubai for some of the luxuries of big homes, cars and overall brand presence, you need kinda get more to traveling in public transport and live in little squeezed place ! Need to work those out for sure :)

Cheers, and thanks again,

Pristine

Thanks to all you wonderful people,

It definitely is evident that there are lot of good people in the city, who would take a step forward to help out with their opinion :)

Thank you again,

Cheers,
Pristine

Hi Pristine

I have just read your post. I am planning to move to Singapore from UAE and believe that you would be one of the best persons to help me with the question you had posted, incase you have already moved to Singapore.

Looking forward to getting some advice in this respect.

Kind Regards
Zubairi

hi,

i have a choice between moving to dubai or singapore for professional reasons.Considering that u were in UAE n have probably moved to singapore by now,i think u r the best person who can help me compare both places.

U may email me at [email protected]

Probably you can state down some of your concerns and we are able to address your issues one by one.

I'm a local here. Personal opinion, one of the safest countries in the world. You can walk around in the middle of the night without feeling apprehensive! Bustling night life and amazing variety of food. To truly enjoy Singapore you have to be on a higher tier income earner though. Singapore is a rather high maintenance country to live in.

thanx......what wld be d monthly exps like? If u can provide me a rough estimate it wld be helpful in negotiating my annual salary package.

Let's break it down to mainly
1)Transport
2)Food
3)Rental

1)Transport: if you are using the public transport system(Mass Rapid Transit or Trains and / or Buses) you will need an average of SGD100 depending on your lodging location and your work place.
Taxi / Cab costs about SGD10 on an average of 10-15mins of car ride.

2)Local food courts ranges from SGD3-7 with drinks.
Mainstream restaurants ranges from SGD15-30.
Fastfood outlets range from SGD5-9.

3)Depending on the type of housing, location, and amenities nearby.
It can range from SGD1.5k - SGD 3k month.

Hope it helps! Feel free to email me for more information.

I think it is relatively safe to allocate SGD200 for Transport, SGD750 for Food, SGD2200 for Rent for a single person, and SGD200-500 for entertainment, misc and what not.

All in all you will be looking at SGD2.8k - SGD3.5k for a practical gauge.

[Moderated: No free ad pls]