Stray dogs

In my guidebook to Mauritius one can find a  warning against packs of stray dogs that terrorize villages and beaches. How serious is this danger?

Hi,

LOL

There are stray dogs that roam around in towns and villages but they certainly do not 'terrorize' anyone!

Most of them are docile and will ran away at the sight of humans. Only downside is that sometimes they bark a lot and can disturb the neighbourhood. And they can cause an accident if you are not careful on a bike or motorbike.

In my neighbourhood the stray dogs are the ones who are actually nice. At night however something can change the behaviour of all the dogs around. Mostly the guard dogs are pumped up and some people living here are d*cks for putting their dogs on the streetside. So in my neighbourhood I do not walk around several streets cause i know the guard dogs will be aggressive.

I have a certain path at night which I follow where oftenly 1 nice stray dog wanders around and will folow me untill my house.

I've been told that the Mauritians just throw Rocks at aggressive dogs and that will make them go away. Not tried it.

That is right. At night loosely going  dogs usually claim their territories and get aggressive. Those that stay outside houses do it day round. All that create a problem for me because I am going to move on a bicycle. And such dogs usually attack bicyclists.

One should be more worried about driving in Mauritius. The figures of fatal accidents on our roads are direct reflections of how unsafe this country's roads  are not only for drivers but for anyone using our roads.
These lovely creatures that we call stray dogs get the blame for the. many irresponsible.cruel and callous owners. I personally do not feel that you should be concerned about stray dogs, but the treatment of animals in Mauritius. We trade in monkeys for ghastly experiment s abroad. We use unimaginable cruelty to exterminate stray dogs.  The government does nothing to stop people keeping monkeys as pets in appalling conditions . This so  paradise country of mine is hell for our animals. These are the memories that would will haunt you when you return home.

This paradise country of mine

Have you been to Paradise or Hell, to make such a comparison?

Just asking since these tautologies are used either to rave or to rant.
You want to know Paradise - have some $B to your name and everyone will be a "brownoser" to serve you or be your friend.
You want to know Hell, just visit Yemen or South Sudan or be a refugee in Europe.

DaaninMauritius wrote:

I've been told that the Mauritians just throw Rocks at aggressive dogs and that will make them go away. Not tried it.

Yes, maybe, if you have a piece of rock within your range. I remember that in Mexico I used to carry a rock with me (they have a similar attitude to dogs as you in M), and when facing an aggressive dog I dropped a rock on the ground and pick it up to let the dog see the rock and understand what it all is about, and start running against it (still  keeping the rock, dont throw it!) to be the one who first go to attack, and dogs always understand that you are not afraid and leave the field.

Throwing a rock might do, but what about if it does not? And you don't have another rock to throw?

Anyway, those methods might be working ones, but they apply to small or medium size dogs, that usually want to bite your leg. The big ones (or the fighting breeds like rottweiler or pitbull) that know how to reach your throat would not be frightened. Don't enter their territories.