Working for an American company in England

All,
I am not sure this is the right forum and I apologize if it is not.  I am an American and am trying to work and live in England to be with my fiancee who is English.  I currently work for an American company that allows me to work remotely or from home.  My question.  Is it legal and possible to work from "home" in England?  I would still be paid in US dollars.  I have read in places this is legal, but I don't know if it is, and don't know for how long. 

So to sum it up, can an American citizen work from home in England for an American company with no roots in England, legally, long term?

Thank you for your time.

> Is it legal and possible to work from "home" in England?

Of course you can.  I telecommute in England all the time, and I work for an American-owned company (though one with offices in the UK).

Note that your taxes will be considerably more complex (and higher), as the UK will have "first dibs" on taxing your income, and then the US will swoop in like an angry vulture and pick at the remains.

Also, of course, you'd need a work permit to live in England long-term.  The fact that you wouldn't be working for a British company doesn't mean they'd allow you to live here and "be employed" without a visa.  They just cracked-down on the Tier-1 quotas, so...*shrug*

Good luck!

thanks!!  that was really helpful.   you said:

>Also, of course, you'd need a work permit to live in England long-term.

so how long can you telecommute without a particular type of visa?  6 months?  It couldn't be a Tier 2 because it would need to be employer sponsored.  It's all very tricky and confusing!

thanks again for your help though.

Hi! Did you end up moving to england? Im trying to move there to be with my boyfriend. We'd get married and do it that way but he does not meet the financial requirements right now while we his finishing school. Can i find an american company to work for and get a visa that way? Ive been researching all options and it seems almost impossible for americans to move to England.

Hello Kd.m0607.

Please note that this is an old thread 2011.

You may start a new topic on the England Forum.

Thanks

Karen :)