Lots to do in December

Cool Sitka, I was not aware of this festival

Merry Christmas Sitka and Fellow members,

Yes every year on the 28th od December Hatillo celebrates Las Dias de las Mascaras.  Many towns(pueblos copied this tradition but not sure of their dates.. But this tradition goes way back over 190 years and founded in Hatillo replicated by a Canary Islands tradition.  Celebrating King Herod"s unsuccessful attempt to kill the forecoming King of the Jews JESUS CHRIST. Also known The Day of the Holy Innocence. But as many decades since the tradition, has changed dramatically where the young adolescents now dress up in 100's of colorful costumes and pulling pranks.  Driving in large convoys in blaring sirens in many convoys of dressed up jeeps etc. Everyone from all parts of the Island come and watch the many colorfuls groups enter Hatillo from Rte 130 into the Town Plaza.  Several years back a Monumental statue of a person in costume and Mascara (Masked) on a Horse is in display in recently redone entrance to Hatillo Pueblo .  Really a nice upgrade and colorful lighted fountain also added to Rte 130 entrance to Barrio Pueblo.  It's like a Halloween Parade or Mardi Gras Carnival?  Seen it many times.  Very colorful and less drinking and accidents.. Worth experiencing at least once.. Only one of it's kind in Puerto Rico.  Carr# 2 gets slowed down drastically but traffic control by Police until processions finished their way into town from intersection 130 meets Carr #2.  Get there before 10am and park cars anywhere on service roads(marginals) along Carr 2.  Amigo shopping lot, Walgreens and various Fast food lots available.  Won't make it this year, arriving mid-Jan.  Enjoy, take plenty of pics and stay alert.  Plenty of Police Security so kids no problem.. Jose

Jose, that sounds like a wonderful festive activity to see!

Hola Schuttzie,
    Yeah it is pretty a cool show. Many different groups participate with all in many different colorful costumes that frankly I don't think I can handle the heat lol.  I have family who participate every year and ages range from 18-60 yrs old. It's for the young and mature.  Forgot to mention while spectators wait for the floats,walking distance to the town plaza there will food vendors and dancers performing The Bomba and The Plena. Traditional folk dancing and music.. Also beautiful colorful dresses. Ladies range from the very young and to the very "mature"  And you'll be impressed how the 70-80s yrs can still rock their thing. Felix Navidad.

Awesome, sounds like Carnival.  Feliz Navidad to you as well!