Shipping a house from abroad?

So I have this crazy plan. I want to buy a piece of agricultural land maybe 70,000 euro is my budget, then get a house built on it. I found a bunch of sites selling 'Log cabin' kits, so I was wondering if it was possible to get them shipped to Malta?
coventryloghomes.com/ourDesigns/buyingProcess.html

One thing to consider first is does the land have a permit for building on it - usually not if it's agricultural land..

What kind of land do I need to get then to be able to build in AND perhaps crop in?

Surely, if you are Maltese, you would be better asking friends or relatives as to what you may be able to do, rather than asking a group of expats who are not over familiar with the way things are done here.
Certainly I would have thought that to build on agricultural land would not be possible, but then this is Malta we are talking about!

Ray

I'm sure the Malta Planning Authority knows more...

http://www.pa.org.mt/

You can get those flat-pack houses shipped anywhere I imagine, Malta would seem to be a very difficult place to get agricultural land to start off with, never mind getting permission to build on it. Maybe some countries which have a lot of crops like in Central or South America, Asia might be more feasible.

Speak to the PA but from what I understand your only chance is to build in the place a previous place was build on an existing bit of land, and then only in that size.  And you'll find land is also really quite expensive especially land with any hope of being built on

Land is at an extreme premium here, you don't just build things

volcane wrote:

Speak to the PA but from what I understand your only chance is to build in the place a previous place was build on an existing bit of land, and then only in that size.  And you'll find land is also really quite expensive especially land with any hope of being built on

Land is at an extreme premium here, you don't just build things

Unless you're a big developer... ;)

Yes I do agree about land being expensive in Malta! I do think about moving to a place like Romania as the land there is cheap as chips.

Hey, your idea is great, just need to check the following:
1. Your residency  status / how long have ypu been here etc.  will determine whether you will allowed to purchase the land.

2. Building and sanitary laws: need to see whether this type of a residential dwelling is compliant with Maltese legal framework.

3. The land and the land type: in order to build the land has to be within development zone. If you want a house + field - it is called a farmhouse in Malta and is nowhere in the "cheap" some.

You just need to contact authorities and do your homework:
Mfsa for permits for real estate purchase
Mepa for building regulations and sanitary laws.

Good luck!

P.S. before checking the above make sure that Maltese weather is appropriate for the type of building: air humidity, temperature range and exposion to sun,  as these differ sugnifficantly from the places where the wooden houses are built.... unless we 're talking bamboo.

Anyways :) good luck and if you manage would be great to see a post from from you

Or you could just bring the house and put it somewhere and by the time PA notices or gets around to doing anything about you'll have lived here for 10 years or packed up your house and moved elsewhere...!

Hi Winu,

You're right regarding the price of land in Romania. Just get prepared for extended corruption - I mean at all levels - for unreliable laws, for unstable taxes and for one of the highest bureaucracy in the EU. I was born in Romania, I got my Canadian citizenship, I had the chance to live for a couple of years in Malta and I am telling you that I can't wait to move to Malta for the rest of my life. Living in Romania  might be a challenge you are not aware of.

Wish you good luck in your choices and decisions!
Corina

Hm. I sell land in Romania. Depends on your definition of chips :)).
Every country has problems.