Long term Tourist!

Hola, I've been living in Mexico for over 4 years now, and LOVE IT!

I have a question about visas, and wonder if anyone out there could help me.

The entire time I've been here, I have been on a tourist visa and I do leave every 180 days for the 3 days and come back in on a new tourist visa. Often by plane, but also by bus.

So, my question is, does anyone know what happens if you DON"T leave? I really don't want my FM3 status, or any other immigration status other than tourist....everyone I know that has one seems to be often hastled by it. I have a border near by, so can just leave and come easily and do go back to the states once a year of so.....it just gets expensive to leave and come and also a bit inconvienient.

I have lost my tourist card before and they just replaced it for like $20usd, but what if it was expired, would I have trouble coming back into Mexico?

It may be a question you have answered a million times, but didn't find the answer when I searched. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

Gracias!

MinM

Hi MinM,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will be able to help you.

I wish you good luck
Christine

I've been living in Mexico for almost three years on an FM3 and discovered that any advice anyone gives you is likely to be inaccurate unless you're talking to an INM official at the moment you're doing your paperwork.  That said, the following may be useful.

Where I live, the INM office has been courteous and helpful consistently.  I don't think it can hurt to go and ask or make a phone call as long as your current tourist card is valid.  I've never been asked to show my papers when I went to just ask questions.

We cross the border by bus in two places and the only times I've had to show my papers was when an INM official or Federal Police official got on the bus at some place other than the border or 26km station.  If you are travelling by air or crossing on foot, you can't avoid showing yours papers.  The nature of a tourist is such that I doubt the system checks to see if more than one has been issued.  If you lose it or it expires while you're outside Mexico, get another one.  If you're in Mexico at the time, call the nearest INM office.  It can't hurt to call now and make a general inquiry.  "What do I do if I lose my tourist card while I'm in Mexico or travelling outside the country?"