Hip Replacement Surgery in Vietnam

Has anyone had the above surgery in Vietnam and can they recommend it. If so how much did it cost?  Any info gratefully received.  Thanks.

Their are Doctors in Sai Gon that are quite capable of doing that surgery. The Doctor that I know personally is

Pham Chi Lang, MD. PhD

Qualifications:

- 1980 - 1986: Graduated HCMC University of Medicine & Pharmacy specialized in Orthopaedics

- 1994 - 1995: Attended training classes specialized in Orthopaedics at University of Bordeaux 2, France

- 06 - 09/1999: Participated a training course specilized in Orthopaedics at University of California, San Diego, USA

- 2002: Graduated Master of Orthopaedics at HCMC University of Medicine & Pharmacy

- 2011: Graduated PhD. degree specialized in Trauma Orthopaedics at HCMC University of Medicine & Pharmacy

Working Experience:

- 1986 - 1993: Lecturer - Orthopaedics HCMC University of Medicine & Pharmacy. Medical Doctor - Orthopaedics Department, Cho Ray Hospital

- 1993 - 2002: Medical Doctor - Faculty of Lower Limb, Hospital of Orthopaedics

- 1994 - 1995: Inpatien Doctor - Orthopaedics Department - DAX Hospital, Bordeaux, France

- 1999 - 1999: Fellowship at University of California, San Diego, USA

- 2002 - 2013: Surgeon - Orthopaedics Department, FV Hospital

- 2013 - present: Head of Orthopaedics Department, City International Hospital, HCMC, Lecture - Orthopaedics, Pham Ngoc Thach University of Medicine, Lecturer - General Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Vietnam National University HCMC

City International Hospital  
4.023 Google reviews
Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam · Bình Trị Đông B
Address: Số 3 Đường số 17A, Bình Trị Đông B, Bình Tân, Hồ Chí Minh 700000, Vietnam
Phone: +84 8 6280 3333
Hours: Open today · 7:30AM–4:30PM

I am french and orthopaedic surgeon working in vinmec hospital in nha trang
If you need help
ask
Franck

Hello Franck. Thank you for your information.

How much would a total hip replacement with ceramic implants  cost at your hospital.

Thank you again.

Sue

I will make a cote and come back to you soon.
I am in hollyday until the 3rd january
franck

Thank you

Being an American, NHS may look rosier to me than it is but It still might be cheaper to do the operation back in England.  Doctors and hospitals in Vietnam are a lot less expensive than uninsured procedures in the west but they are certainly not free.  Assuming you could do it all in one trip, airfare looks like less than £800.  While in Vietnam, I put off having a knee replacement, knowing that I could have it almost fully covered by Medicare in the US.

One drawback is that you will need physical therapy for some post operative period so you might need to stay a while.

THIGV wrote:

Being an American, NHS may look rosier to me than it is but It still might be cheaper to do the operation back in England.  Doctors and hospitals in Vietnam are a lot less expensive than uninsured procedures in the west but they are certainly not free.  Assuming you could do it all in one trip, airfare looks like less than £800.  While in Vietnam, I put off having a knee replacement, knowing that I could have it almost fully covered by Medicare in the US.

One drawback is that you will need physical therapy for some post operative period so you might need to stay a while.

THIGV,

Very good advice. I will point out that for retired US military, our health insurance is good world-wide, although we may have to pay cash up front and file a claim with Tricare for reimbursement. My wife has run up nearly $100,00.00 USD in medical bills here in Viet Nam.

It is actually unfortunate, and not only for expats themselves, that Medicare stops at the water's edge.  As Medicare is essentially fee-for-service on the paying side, the US taxpayers could save a lot of money by allowing medical work overseas.  I know there are issues with coding of procedures but I am sure the higher end facilities could handle them.  They must be doing so with Tri-care.

From my experience with Tricare Overseas, they want detailed descriptions of each and every billed item or service in English. If memory serves, one of my wife's claims ran a bit over 100 pages. A phone call threatening congressional intervention after nearly a year processing delay and the disappearance of the claim from the records was required to get the claim processed and for us to be paid. The supervisor that I talked to spent nearly a full work week processing that one claim and my $19,000.00 USD plus bill paid only a bit over  $16,000.00.

Now in some countries and for Active Duty personnel, you can check into a medical facility with your ID, make your co-pay if their is one and you are done. My suspicion is that Tricare Overseas(a subsidiary of SOS International) is basically an outfit that translates the Overseas bills into the proper codes when the country involved doesn't have a translatable coding system.

All in all, If I was 20 years younger and my wife was in good health, I expect that I would buy local Health Insurance.

Dear Dr. Lehrman,

Here is the list of hip replacement:

The price for surgery is 38.100.000 vnd with subtotal hip replacement, for total hip replacement: 50.800.000 vnd (price in 2017)
Ceramic hip: 67,163,000 vnd
Bed charge for admission: around 3.300.000 vnd standard room per day (included doctor's fee: 1,650,000 vnd, nursing fee: 825,000 vnd, bed charge: 825,000 vnd) (price in 2017)
Medical consumable in the surgery: 3,300,000 Vnd
XNTP/ Analysis pre-sugery = 3,300,000 vnd
Medicine during the admission: 1,500,000 đ x 5 days = 7,500,000 vnd

These are the prices of 2016, the prices for 2017 will be increased 10%.

Your sincerely,

Phan Thị Thanh Hằng | SS
Customer Service Department
    [T]          (+84 58) 3 900168
    [F]          (+84 58) 3 900169
    [M]          0905288816
    [E]           [email protected]

[W]         www.vinmec.com

[A]   42A Tran Phu, Vinh Nguyen, Nha Trang, Khanh Hoa

Thank you for the information. I'm very grateful.

I figure this at 3,495 GBP or 4,297 $US.

Of course ceramic may not be an option with NHS (or US Medicare for that matter.)   Also conservative politicians in the US claim that you can die waiting for NHS but I don't really know if that is true.

A ceramic prosthesis is not always the solution after 70 years.
But we can discuss it, we must not be dogmatic

Can you send me your x-rays from your hip, by emails

xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
francklehrmann wrote:

A ceramic prosthesis is not always the solution after 70 years.
But we can discuss it, we must not be dogmatic

Please understand that I am not saying that anyone should or should not have an operation in Vietnam.  I am simply saying to weigh all the factors.  For someone with a bad hip not having to take a 14 hour flight might be worth it all.

By the way, some of your posts are coming in double.

Hi 70 years old. Do you know if SOS or anyone else does the translation of Vietnamese medical expenses into English for VA reimbursement. My wife and I receive a VA pension and are eligible for reimbursement for any medical expenses so I am trying to find this information now.

On another note, do you know if there are any other US Vets living in Vietnam? I would like to them to share their VA experiences.

Thank you

Hi lostvietdreamer

As I am retired Military, I am able to avoid the VA Medical, though I also get a VA pension. I'm also near a hospital in Saigon that prepares bilingual bills and reports.

This is a google of "medical translation services" Dịch vụ dịch thuật y tế
It looks reasonable to both my wife and I and does bring up medical sites. But my wife attended Vietnamese 3rd grade in 1970 and reads and writes English much better than Vietnamese.

I also suspect that the English language version will need to be a certified accurate translation.

hi, I was wondering if you would know how much it would cost for dialysis treatment.
My mother in law is planning to visit Saigon aka Ho chi Minh. She is having 3 hour sessions and three treatments per week. We are looking for 6 treatments since she plans to visit 12 days.

I heard that Cho Ray hospital has dialysis treatment but they have yet to reply.

We would need to pay out of pocket since insurance does not cover out of the US.

Would appreciate your time since you obvious are in the medical field?

thanks.
ed

I'm a retired Soldier, not a Medical Professional. But due to my wife, who is Vietnamese, of 46 years medical issues, I do know something about Medical issues in Viet Nam.

I would suggest contacting a couple of private hospitals like

City International Hospital  
WebsiteDirections
29 Google reviews
Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Address: Số 3 Đường số 17A, Bình Trị Đông B, Bình Tân, Hồ Chí Minh 700000
Phone: 08 6280 3333

and

162 Google reviews
Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
FV Hospital is the leading tertiary care provider in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Inaugurated in 2003 by a group of French physicians, the hospital has a 150 full-time physicians, 1000 staff, serving half a million patient visit a year. Wikipedia
Address: 6 Nguyễn Lương Bằng, Tân Phú, Quận 7, Hồ Chí Minh
Phone: 08 5411 3333
Number of beds: 220
Founded: 2003

One further note, while you will likely need to pay cash up front, with many insurance policies, you can submit a claim and be reimbursed.

lostvietdreamer wrote:

Hi 70 years old. Do you know if SOS or anyone else does the translation of Vietnamese medical expenses into English for VA reimbursement. My wife and I receive a VA pension and are eligible for reimbursement for any medical expenses so I am trying to find this information now.

On another note, do you know if there are any other US Vets living in Vietnam? I would like to them to share their VA experiences.

Thank you

Unless you know of a secret program offered by the V.A. please be aware:

"The Foreign Medical Program assumes payment responsibility for U.S. Veterans only for a VA-rated service-connected disability, or any disability associated with and held to be aggravating a VA-rated, service-connected disability (38 CFR 17.35)"

Thank you for the information. I'm very grateful.

Hi.  I will soon need a Lt hip replacement.  I am 72 years young.  Have had a stroke 2 years ago and have diabetes.  Can you please supply me with an up to date costing for a hip hospital with your hospital ?