Property prices in Jalisco

Hello everyone,

Finding affordable housing in Jalisco is number one priority for newcomers. Tell us more about the estate market in your district/city/region.

What are the most desired places to live? What are the most affordable ones? What is the average cost of a rented flat? And what is the average sale price for an appartment or a house? Could you tell us more about local real estate policies/procedures? What about property tax or residency tax in Jalisco?

What about you? Where do you live now? Is it a place you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your clarifications.

Priscilla

First, of all  .... newcomers should not be buying but renting

Prices totally depend on location. I bought 2 side by side lots for 50000 each and you'll never find lots for that price anymore anywhere

I built my house so don't know finished house prices except they are usually upward of 100K US.

Many good rentals if you are familiar with the area

Hi, "sparksmex" is right, newcomers should rent and start looking at options for buying.
In our case, my wife and I decided to rent only  (we are 70 and 65) because of the paperwork and now the request of complying with the RFC when selling "capital gain" also you also need a notarized will. Also the maintenance costs.

We are renting a 2 bedroom apartment  (total of 86 square meters) all furnished, utilities included, ocean view, pool, etc...for 9000$ pesos per month. So if we live there for 20 years the total cost would be of 2,160,000$ pesos or about 108000$ USD it was an easy decision for us!!!

On the other hand, there are lots available in our area from 60000$ pesos  (10m x 20m) and others that are asking higher prices  (gringo gulch).

Also, in our area La Peñita de Jaltemba, Nayarit, the real estate agents have a lot of houses for sale at prices above my understanding here are a few links since last year prices are going down a little http://www.vikingorealestate.com.mx/http://www.cblacosta.com/property/10324 … asa-robert

Adios y buen dia, GyC.

I'm sorry, Sparksmex, but I'm new here so did you pay 50,000 pesos per lot or dollars or what other form of currency? Thanks!

Lots of questions! Speaking of the Lake Chapala area only, prices start around $50,000 and goes to 750,000 or more. Average price for most gringo housing is around $150,000 U.S. It is easy to buy in the Lake Chapala area and you receive a deed to the property. With a proper Mexican will, you will easily be able to bequeath the property to your family. The Lake Chapala area is fortunate as it has a mls service which can be viewed by typing in chapalamls.com in google.  The buyer of a home pays an additional 3-4% on top of the accepted price which goes mainly to pay the notary and government land tax transfer fees.

we are in hell trying to purchase a home in Ajijic.

Prices are rising as offers are presented. Our house sale equity of 300k was plenty last March.

Now we are really afraid of being priced out. Ee had a viable offer on a home with a rental..in El Limon. The agent raised the price on the mls before we presented the offer.

we are giving up the option of views- casita. water features and we always wanted to be out if the villages....

help?

Maybe, I did not clearly state our last offer...days ago in Ajijic. We wrote an offer. Evidently, the same day, the buyer added 18k onto the listing price.

We did not know ......the agent did. We dont want to waste anyones time in this market.

Your post is a little difficult to understand but I will try to address the issues by reading between the lines.

Yes, the market in Lake Chapala is strong. Has been since about last September.

Regarding the Realtor raising the price on the mls... Obviously he can't do that himself and was directed to by the seller. Maybe they had lots of showings and people who said they were very interested so the seller increased the price thinking they can get more.

It has even happened that at closing time (usually a Mexican seller) will ask for more money right at the table and if the potential buyer doesn't cough up then the deal is over and the potential buyer is refunded the deposit.

It is unfortunate you have run into this experience. I don't feel that prices are rising just yet but I'll admit there is strong demand.

I would suggest taking a deep breath and forgetting about this particular house (unless you love it so much that money is no object) and start again fresh with a new agent as it seems to me that you have lost confidence and trust in the one you are working with now.  You never know, you can just as easily find an even better deal and better house. Lots of stuff coming on the market every day and most buyers have great experiences.

Thank you.

Yes, we wrote the offer and the agent had already raised the listing price on the MLS. A waste of time and exercise in frustration. A "double ended deal" as well.

I learned long ago not to fall.in love with real estate. It was the income that we could have received from it that was the object of my affection.

It sounds like my feelings of dread..lol. were actually echos of the past. Real estate in Northern California since 1980? And add a new country...,a desirable  "low cost" retirement location?

We will move on to new representation. And be careful with our choices.

So you aren't seeing the price increases as kicking in until September...really? Hope you are right.

Sorry if you misunderstood. I was saying that there has been a tremendous increase in sales as of last September 2016. Prices, however, still seem to be holding. As to when they actually start to rise it is impossible to say. 
Was it rental income from the Casita you so desired? Are you planning on staying here full time?

Hi,

Sorry. Trying to get my house ready to sell.

Yes, the casita was important. It was large and they were receiving about 900 a month for it. We need a bit of additional income.

Nervewracking time. I really dont want to be a nomad and have a dog that comes with me. My husband is trying to retire (he isnt well). I lost my twenty year old hospice agency last June. This is something that we always wanted to do, but the circumstances are rough.

Marie

Too bad to hear. I assume you are renting right now while looking?  Lots of properties coming on the market every day so it's just a matter of waiting for the right one. Hopefully your agent is on top things and shows you places right away as they come on the market.
Hang tough