Property prices in Rio de Janeiro

Hello everyone,

Finding affordable housing in Rio de Janeiro is number one priority for newcomers. Tell us more about the estate market in your district/city/region.

What are the most desired places to live? What are the most affordable ones? What is the average cost of a rented flat? And what is the average sale price for an appartment or a house? Could you tell us more about local real estate policies/procedures? What about property tax or residency tax in Rio de Janeiro?

What about you? Where do you live now? Is it a place you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your clarifications.

Priscilla

Hi, Priscilla,

It all depends on what kind of place you need. For example: If you are living alone and would like having a small cozy place to live, near all kind of business, shops, food markets, etc, also near the beach and all kinds of public transportation (METRO, SWBWAY, BUSSES, TAXIS) you will fit to Copacabana, Flamengo and Catete districts. It also depends on where you working place will be.  Copacabana, Flamengo, Catete and specially Glória district, are near downtown (CENTRO). Glória district is the most affordable one, for sure. And is strategically well located. You will pay around USD 780.00 for an apartment rental in Glória district, for example. Once a year the government charges you a tax, named IPTU, which varies a lot, depending on the location and size of the property. My relatives live in Glória and I manage apartment rentals for several members of my family. ***

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : off topic