Living in Tunisia

You are living in Tunisia, or you used to live in Tunisia.

Share your experience!

How would you describe life in Tunisia?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find an accommodation and a job?

Is it complicated to make friends in Tunisia?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Tunisia?

Thanks in advance for your participation

G'day Folks,

Am on a fast track to Tunisia for work; I anticipate I will have to be there between now and the end of June. Question is where to live on the east coast? Based on where my job location will be, I'm considering Sousse, Hammamet or Monastir. Any hint on each location? Any other suggestions?

I'll come down with my family, so will look for a nice area close to schools / medical center / supermarkets / etc. Anything that you know and would like to share? is there a known expats area in each of the cities or is it centered elsewhere?

Any comments appreciated - many thanks.

Quid :)

Hey Quid, I really suggest Tunis Cartage, very very nice area. I Live next door, La Marsa, also nice. The American school here is supposed to be very good ... I am single, so the ice get's rather thinn on that subject. The places you have mentioned are rather turisty ... and not my type. Tunisia is beautiful and has far more to offer than hotels in Hamamed etc. Tunis offers good access to public services. A lot of european expads live outside near the sea shore. Let me know if you need further info. By the way, you can also check the lonely planet online, or get the book on Tunisia which might be a good info, too. best, Seb

G'day Seb & many thanks for your advice. Well, Tunis Cartage is definitely too far off my work location. Actually will most probably move to Sousse as this is the closest pleasant place to where I'll have to go work everyday.

Will however definitely spend some week-end time in Tunis & area. Will let you know then.

Many thanks again for feedback.

Quid :)

[modéré: pas de pub gratuite]

Hey Guys,just had posted this on cars in Tunisia somewhere else ... here another vital info: as almost everywhere on the continent, the fuel quality is very low. In particular Diesel. In Tunisia we have two types of Diesel: Gosoil normal and Gazoil 50 (mazut 50 in Arabic). The quality of the Diesel 50 is supposed to be higher. However, note that the chemical composition is different from regular diesel in e.g. Europe. Hence, some cars f... up when you fuel up. In particular Mercedes doesn't run on this Gasoil 50. Also another tip: don't necessarily buy new cars and bring them here ... the local driveing is ... how to say ... contact intentsive :-) Cheers, Sebastian

I'm a tunisian woman living  in a nice place in tunis la marsa I have for rent a new and a beautiful apartment 225m2 completely furnished (chic) and with open view over the lake containing 5 comfortable rooms with splendid balconies / terrace in a quiet garden pay sage .l 'appt has been designed with modernity and comfort, offering a beautiful space both functional and bright: (security lock, videophone, thermal insulation of exterior walls , sound insulation impact, general conditioning, kitchen equipped of (hob, oven, combining, washing dishes, Separate Fridge ..) spots in lobbies, hallways, dressing rooms, bathroom and cuisine .Jacuzzis, marble White .. ideal situation for making walks or a bike  my contact number is 0021695192888. thanks

Does anybody know any Malaysian staying and working in Tunis or other cities in Tunisia?

The Malaysian in Tunisia page can help ;)

Hi guys,

I'm sorry to bother you, but I am looking to come over to Tunisia to be together with my husband (2500 kms is just too far).
I am busy looking for work, because I would like to keep my independance despite the marriage thing, just because you can never be safe enough even though you really trust each other. But it's really hard!
Does anybody know how to approach this from Belgium out? I have my CV, I speak 5 languages, and have always worked in the airline industry.

In addition to this, I just wanted to add that indeed La Marsa is a really nice area, together with Carthage and even living in Sidi Bou Said could be a fairy tale :) I hope my husband will find a nice house for us there.

Lots of greetings!
Have a nice evening and thanks for the reactions already.

Hello! I am a Canadian student studying French in Switzerland but finding it really hard to really learn the conversational skills because everyone speaks English to me. So I was considering going to Tunisia for a few months and volunteer. Does anyone out there know how to find a room in a family home or a studio apartment? I just really want to be immersed in the language and the culture. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : expat.com is not a dating website

new to tunishello,

my name is islem, i'm 26, french, new expat to tunis for 1 year. I am looking forward to make contact to enjoy my stay here. I like going out, travelling, cinema... you name it ;-)

see u soon,

cheers.

Hello,
Dear Slyly, i just reading your report regarding living in Tunisia,
I am american citizen and living with my wife in Turkey and planning to move to Tunisia
would you please give more info regarding rent and living expenses at your area that living now.
I really appreciate it,
Warmest Regards

@ Chandiz94 :

Slyly posted on this topic back in 2009, 10 years ago,  i am therefore not sure that you will receive any feedback from her.

As such, i invite you to create a new thread in the Tunisia forum and to ask all your questions.
Active members will then be able to guide and help you.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team